Karen Wessel, Arlington Heights mother, drowns in Star Lake after saving 3 children

Lovejac

Reaction score
We ALL need to practice how to deal with an emergency in the water. (I'm assuming WI water is very cold, even in July.)

If your lungs are full of air, you cannot sink (unless you are weighted down like a scuba diver).

So relax. If you are in moving water point your feet downstream so that if you hit a rock, you do so with your feet and not your head.

Breathe deeply whenever your face is out of the water. The air in your lungs will keep you at the surface and you can stick your head up to take additional breaths.

Do the above until help arrives, you land on a rock or sand bar, or you get rested enough to swim to safety.

Let's ALL practice this whenever we get into water, particularly moving water.

Bottom line, though, is RELAX and BREATHE. Unless you are caught in a tsunami or stranded in the middle of the ocean, there is always a way to survive, even if you are a poor swimmer. Unfortunately, most victims panic, stop breathing, and sink.

None of the above is a criticism of the victim in this case. She gave her life for a child and is a hero by any definition!

I agree Nova. We grew up across from a beach in SC. There were rip currents and undertows. My father would always remind us to not fight against them. Just keep our breath and go with the flow. Trying to fight against something you can't defeat will wear you out quickly. Even the strongest of swimmers will lose. I know these are different types of water, but still good advice.

And while we're on the subject, beware of drowning people. In their panic they may unwittingly take you down with them. My lifeguard training is almost 50 years in the past, but they used to recommend staying behind the drowning victim and either grasping him with you arm around his throat or pulling him by his hair to safety.

That way he can't get a grip on you and take you both down.

(I'm not saying this had anything to do with the case linked above.)

We ALL need to practice how to deal with an emergency in the water. (I'm assuming WI water is very cold, even in July.)

If your lungs are full of air, you cannot sink (unless you are weighted down like a scuba diver).

So relax. If you are in moving water point your feet downstream so that if you hit a rock, you do so with your feet and not your head.

Breathe deeply whenever your face is out of the water. The air in your lungs will keep you at the surface and you can stick your head up to take additional breaths.

Do the above until help arrives, you land on a rock or sand bar, or you get rested enough to swim to safety.

Let's ALL practice this whenever we get into water, particularly moving water.

Bottom line, though, is RELAX and BREATHE. Unless you are caught in a tsunami or stranded in the middle of the ocean, there is always a way to survive, even if you are a poor swimmer. Unfortunately, most victims panic, stop breathing, and sink.

None of the above is a criticism of the victim in this case. She gave her life for a child and is a hero by any definition!

this could save a life. thanks for sharing.

Rest in peace, Karen Wessel. You paid a high cost for doing the right thing. GB you, your family, and friends. You were a very brave woman.

It is so sad when good people die doing the right and noble thing. RIP Brave Soul. :rose:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back