997 users online (171 members and 826 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 187
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550

    What steps should be taken to protect kids from being left in a car.

    I believe all states should enact laws that REQUIRE drivers to look over the entire inside of their parked car before they lock the doors. The "Look Before You Lock" procedure is now a suggestion but I think there is something brewing (petitions, maybe?) to get this made into law.

    I personally feel that if everyone got into the habit of taking a minute to check for anything important they may be forgetting in the car, children would be less at risk of injury or death. Unfortunately many people will not do this if they are not required to do it. I think people should not pass their drivers test unless they perform this procedure at the end of their road test without being prompted. With such laws making failure to look a felony, if any child is found without supervision locked in a vehicle the parent/caregiver could be charged with a felony--no more excuses about it being an accident.

    I am interested in what other WSers think about the "Look Before You Lock" law but also would like suggestions of what might be done from those who oppose such legislation.
    Last edited by krkrjx; 07-28-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: ETA: "Look Before You Lock" would be a better title for this thread but I do not have the power to change it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,639
    They make school bus drivers do this where I live.

    So why not other people?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    where the big sharks come to play
    Posts
    5,573
    An IQ test and a personality test would screen 'em out!

    I mean, some people shouldn't be in charge of the wellbeing of goldfish!
    Last edited by ATasteOfHoney; 07-28-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

    This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,818
    It doesnt have to be that hard. My mom rarely had my kids in her car when they were very little, but when she did watch my son, while my daughter was being born, she had a nice trick she used.

    She kept a big teddy bear in his car seat. When she put him in the car seat, she put the bear in the front passenger seat. [ she ended up getting 2 bears cuz he would cry and want it back with him. lol] So when she got out of the car, if the bear was up front, OOPS, the kids here in the car. :bear:
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    5,216
    A simple daily alarm installed in your phone (you install it once and it automatically goes off everyday) would be reminder enough for any tech savvy (social media using) parent these days. Next to that a simple piece of paper attached to the steering wheel can serve as a reminder. I don't think a law is needed. People just need to use their common sense more and act responsibly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It doesnt have to be that hard. My mom rarely had my kids in her car when they were very little, but when she did watch my son, while my daughter was being born, she had a nice trick she used.

    She kept a big teddy bear in his car seat. When she put him in the car seat, she put the bear in the front passenger seat. [ she ended up getting 2 bears cuz he would cry and want it back with him. lol] So when she got out of the car, if the bear was up front, OOPS, the kids here in the car. :bear:
    Responsible drivers like your mom already have something in place. But not everyone thinks to do something like this on their own. And really, how many people actually expect to forget their kid in the car? It is dismissed as something that cannot happen to you, until it does.

    Even with a look before you lock law, some people will probably not look. But at least it takes away the claim of it being an accident. The legal issue would be that they did not follow the law, because if they had they would have seen the child before they locked up the car.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Nali87 View Post
    A simple daily alarm installed in your phone (you install it once and it automatically goes off everyday) would be reminder enough for any tech savvy (social media using) parent these days. Next to that a simple piece of paper attached to the steering wheel can serve as a reminder. I don't think a law is needed. People just need to use their common sense more and act responsibly.
    I agree common sense is the best option. If only common sense were not in such short supply...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    I believe all states should enact laws that REQUIRE drivers to look over the entire inside of their parked car before they lock the doors. The "Look Before You Lock" procedure is now a suggestion but I think there is something brewing (petitions, maybe?) to get this made into law.

    I personally feel that if everyone got into the habit of taking a minute to check for anything important they may be forgetting in the car, children would be less at risk of injury or death. Unfortunately many people will not do this if they are not required to do it. I think people should not pass their drivers test unless they perform this procedure at the end of their road test without being prompted. With such laws making failure to look a felony, if any child is found without supervision locked in a vehicle the parent/caregiver could be charged with a felony--no more excuses about it being an accident.

    I am interested in what other WSers think about the "Look Before You Lock" law but also would like suggestions of what might be done from those who oppose such legislation.
    Great idea, krkrjx, thanks for starting this thread. But, honestly, I just don't think another law will work. Just like seatbelt laws, there will always be those that just don't follow that law.

    Human, I think that's the law where I live too, yet, there have been cases where kids were left on the school bus in the morning and at the end of the day (apparently the kids fell asleep). Thankfully none died that I'm aware of (will provide links later when I get home). So, in those cases the bus driver broke the law and didn't check the bus.

    I agree with Nali87 -- a simple daily alarm on your smartphone. I have daily alarms for EVERYTHING that I need to be reminded of. Daily, weekly, monthly alarms. Just checked my phone, and I currently have 10 daily alarms...simple, basic things, two alarms for some things like take meds, walk dog, etc.

    FYI, I don't have kids, so I can't imagine ever forgetting them in the car, but as a precaution, in this day and age, I know I would have daily alarms in my phone for my kids too. One for the a.m. and one for the p.m.

    IMO, it's up to the individual, and yes, common sense, to make sure they don't leave their child in the car.

    Jmo, moo, etc...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,639
    If there is no law, then there are no consequences.

    Laws perk me right up.

    For instance, when I get a speeding ticket, it sure makes me drive the speed limit for years later.

    If people hear there are convictions for leaving a child in a car, I bet there will be more care taken to make sure that does not happen.

    Obviously no law stops anything, but I bet in some cases it helps.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,818
    I think it would be good for society if we took a NO EXCUSES stance on kids dying in cars. Sorry, no excuses allowed. Automatic penalty. Does not matter WHY you forgot. Too bad, too late, JAIL TIME.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I think it would be good for society if we took a NO EXCUSES stance on kids dying in cars. Sorry, no excuses allowed. Automatic penalty. Does not matter WHY you forgot. Too bad, too late, JAIL TIME.
    I agree completely!

    Here's the thing, though: It is already not acceptable in most states to leave your kid in a locked vehicle but people are claiming they did it because they "forgot" they had the child with them or they were "sure" they had dropped the child off at day care. And that is being accepted because there is nothing that shows they did it intentionally; it is basically a mistake, i.e., no one's perfect.

    We can't put people in jail if there is no law broken. If the driver of a vehicle is required by law to look around the interior of the vehicle before they lock up, there would never be a forgotten child unless the driver does not comply with the law. Stress, change of routine, none of that would matter because in any scenario if they look before they lock, they would see the child. In cases where you get out of your vehicle for mere minutes to pump gas or pick up your mail or whatever, you could leave the child inside the vehicle because you would not need to lock the car.

    I do not like excessive legislation any more than the next person but I am alarmed that our society just lets these deaths go with little more than a shrug. "Oh well...too bad the baby died but it could not be avoided because no one's perfect, and we are sure the parent has suffered enough."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Houstonia
    Posts
    603
    I believe most times, it is not an oversight, so parents don't need reminders, per se.

    However, if there are measures put into place to make it impossible for any parent to say "oops! I forgot!" , then yes, that is a good thing.

    Of course my cynical mind goes to "What method will become the next 'hot car'?"

    People that kill their kids will always find a way. I do think a zero-tolerance take on car deaths is WONDERFUL, in that forgetting is no longer a plausible excuse for killing your baby.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Houstonia
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    I agree completely!

    Here's the thing, though: It is already not acceptable in most states to leave your kid in a locked vehicle but people are claiming they did it because they "forgot" they had the child with them or they were "sure" they had dropped the child off at day care. And that is being accepted because there is nothing that shows they did it intentionally; it is basically a mistake, i.e., no one's perfect.

    We can't put people in jail if there is no law broken. If the driver of a vehicle is required by law to look around the interior of the vehicle before they lock up, there would never be a forgotten child unless the driver does not comply with the law. Stress, change of routine, none of that would matter because in any scenario if they look before they lock, they would see the child. In cases where you get out of your vehicle for mere minutes to pump gas or pick up your mail or whatever, you could leave the child inside the vehicle because you would not need to lock the car.

    I do not like excessive legislation any more than the next person but I am alarmed that our society just lets these deaths go with little more than a shrug. "Oh well...too bad the baby died but it could not be avoided because no one's perfect, and we are sure the parent has suffered enough."
    You beat me to it, and said it much better.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Houstonia
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Nali87 View Post
    A simple daily alarm installed in your phone (you install it once and it automatically goes off everyday) would be reminder enough for any tech savvy (social media using) parent these days. Next to that a simple piece of paper attached to the steering wheel can serve as a reminder. I don't think a law is needed. People just need to use their common sense more and act responsibly.

    But people who do this on purpose and try to say it was an accident won't have employed any self-initiated safeguards. In fact they are counting on crying "whoops" and getting away with it because the precedent has been set.

    However, a law which assures prosecution for "forgetting" may just cut down on the car death "epidemic".

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    I believe all states should enact laws that REQUIRE drivers to look over the entire inside of their parked car before they lock the doors. The "Look Before You Lock" procedure is now a suggestion but I think there is something brewing (petitions, maybe?) to get this made into law.

    I personally feel that if everyone got into the habit of taking a minute to check for anything important they may be forgetting in the car, children would be less at risk of injury or death. Unfortunately many people will not do this if they are not required to do it. I think people should not pass their drivers test unless they perform this procedure at the end of their road test without being prompted. With such laws making failure to look a felony, if any child is found without supervision locked in a vehicle the parent/caregiver could be charged with a felony--no more excuses about it being an accident.

    I am interested in what other WSers think about the "Look Before You Lock" law but also would like suggestions of what might be done from those who oppose such legislation.
    I'm not sure that we need any new laws. Isn't it already child abuse to leave a small child alone in a car? I think that we should prosecute people under existing laws not make new ones. Isn't that what's happening in this case? MOO.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. After bride is left at altar, guest steps up to marry her
    By LinasK in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM
  2. A good step to protect abducted kids
    By ASU2USC in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM
  3. New Florida Law Re: Kids Left In Cars
    By Amraann in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 04:02 PM