VA VA - Sara Bruehl, 18, New Kent County, 8 Aug 1999

astridxx

Reaction score
http://www.sarabruehl.com/

http://www.examiner.com/article/10-years-later-still-no-justice-for-sara

On August 8, 1999, 18-year-old Sara Bruehl was driving back along I-64 to her home in Mechanicsville, VA, after having spent the day at the beach, when someone shot and killed her. The case has never produced an arrest, nor even many clues. Unfortunately, save for those who knew and loved Sara, the case has been all but forgotten.

At some point, a car with deeply tinted windows began following Sara, the driver would ride her bumper, then speed up and cut in front of her. This went on for some time, until the car pulled up on the right, and a young black male fired four shots into Sara’s car.

Sara was hit in the head and died instantly, one of her passengers was also hit, but not seriously injured.

The shooting occurred in New Kent County, actually only about 10 miles from Sara’s home. Police believe the shooter began following her around the West Point exit.

Though the crime happened on a rather crowded stretch of interstate highway, police never received even one call from anyone who witnessed the shooting.

At the time, there was a great deal of speculation that the murder had been part of a gang initiation, but an actual motive has never been established. Of course, the case remains open, but without any witness reports or help from the public, the case has been in a state of dormancy for many years.

Sara had just graduated from Atlee High School and was planning to pursue a career in Horticulture. There is a scholarship which bears her name at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College, for horticulture students.

What I don't understand, and seems off to me, is that she had surviving passenger(s?)... and said shooter had been following her for "some time", but no one got a license plate or a description other than "black guy in a red car"?? I would look a lot closer at the passengers in the car..

I live in VA and if the car had dark, tinted windows, it may have been from out of state. So maybe the car was from a state that didn't have front plates?

Also, she was driving a rental. Maybe a case of mistaken identity? Road rage?

Why was she driving a rental? And any chance this could have been someone she knew or was associated with, following her and targeting her?

In the late 90s cars pretty much didn't have front license plates anymore....unless you drove a much older model car. By The time it happened he had sped off and the girls were too scared and in shock to look at license plates most likely.

In the late 90s cars pretty much didn't have front license plates anymore....unless you drove a much older model car. By The time it happened he had sped off and the girls were too scared and in shock to look at license plates most likely.

In Virginia it has always been law that a car must have front and back plates -- of course, he could have been from out if state, from one (like west va or fla) that doesn't have that law.

In Virginia it has always been law that a car must have front and back plates -- of course, he could have been from out if state, from one (like west va or fla) that doesn't have that law.
Sounds likely. Or they just didn't think to get it if in virginia. Young girls don't always think of logical stuff when afraid. .maybe more worried about getting away from them.

I just can't believe he followed for supposedly over an hour but no one got a plate number or called the cops -- and by no one I mean other drivers. This whole thing is just tragic.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcerPacer
Back