CA CA - Christopher Wallace 'Notorious B.I.G.', 24, Los Angeles, 9 March 1997

sharon25

Reaction score
The mystery of who gunned down Notorious B.I.G. - and why - has frustrated and fascinated the hip-hop world for eight years. With FBI and police investigations failing to net even a suspect, a swirl of theories implicated corrupt cops, gang hits, bicoastal beefs - or all three at once. None have been provable, so far.

The case finally is in court, as a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the New York rapper's family against the city of Los Angeles and its police department. On Tuesday, a nine-person jury was selected. The panel is expected to at least get a peek inside the so-called murder book showing whom the Los Angeles Police Department interviewed and which leads were followed.

The suit claims LAPD officials covered up a former officer's involvement in the slaying and ignored a systemic problem of potentially dangerous moonlighting. The family claims a number of off-duty officers associated with gang members while providing security for Death Row Records, home of Wallace's West Coast rival, Tupac Shakur.

http://kevxml2a.infospace.com/info.ncbuy/apnws/story.htm?kcfg=apart&sin=D8ASA8I80&qcat=entertain&ran=21794&passqi=0&feed=ap&more=1

NEW YORK - Three people were stabbed early Wednesday at a Manhattan club that was hosting a record-release party for a new collection of duets featuring slain rapper Notorious B.I.G.
Detectives also were investigating a shooting near the club, named Exit, that occurred around the same time. It was unclear if the two incidents were related.

Authorities could not confirm reports that the party was attended by Sean "Diddy" Combs and Notorious B.I.G.'s mother, Voletta Wallace. The two co-produced the new "Duets" record, which pairs the rapper's vocals with Eminem, Jay-Z and other artists.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051221/ap_en_mu/club_stabbing

I've heard so many rumors about this case, that run the gamut from drugs, to possible political ties, there have been so many theories in this case, so many rumors, very few were ever confirmed, and probably wont be

Some feel this was an inside job for various reasons, some feel it was a rivalry, some feel it might have been random, some say it was driven by the attention the rivalry between 2 factions drew, and to add to the confusion, and difficulty in this case, all of those theories have at least "some" merit .

A large part of issue was a culture of "don't talk to police" and street justice at the time, especially in CA, where a severe (and in some cases warranted) anti police sentiment still remained from the 80's and 90's

I know that Wallace stated several times publicly that he feared for his safety, and felt someone out there was "trying to kill him", always take note of someone's gut feeling.

Those statements are important, because though he was a public figure, with a security staff around him most of the time, he still was worried about his life . Now some may say it was a "hazard of the job" and fame comes at a price, but fame bestows many who don't turn up dead.

He was advised NOT to make the trip to CA, if I remember correctly, and didn't really want to, but felt he "needed to", to promote his new album, the verbiage there indicates that he knew it was risky. What was it about the trip that made him nervous? I also believe I read somewhere that he only did that because his fans on the west coast, felt he was avoiding them due to the East coast/West coast, rivalry , not to blatantly stick it in Knights face.

There was obvious dislike and in some cases outright threats from rival musicians in Death Rows entourage, as well as their gang affiliations, most likely along with other threats from fans of other artists etc..

Something can be made about the security peocedures themselves, I mean you have a celebrity receiving death threats, in a well publicized rivalry, with individuals with gang ties, but it is pretty well known that rap music artists, often hired friends, or associates , therefore his security team wasn't someone id venture to say was experienced, in dignitary or executive protection. This is evident , by where Wallace, was seated in the vehicle. He's in the passenger side front seat.

Was this just an oversight by hos team, or deliberate ?

The "principal" (Client) in professional protection details is always seated in the back in the middle seat between 2 agents. However this was no professional detail though it certainly should've been.

firing through a vehicle door , and auto glass is a risky endeavor if you're attempting to hit someone inside , unless you use a larger caliber, smaller caliber rounds such as 9mm (used in this case) have been known to struggle to penetrate auto glass at times, but Wallace was hit 4 times, only 1 of those caused lethal injury.

The Offender approached at a red light in a black Chevy Impala , on the left of the vehicle where Wallace was seated, then rolled down his window and fired through the door before driving off, this doesn't strike me as a particularly efficient or professional though in the end it was successful .

That leaves the Who and Why?, and from there you can glean any one of a hundred theories, was it a rivalry, if that's the case, i think you'd see something a lot more lethal, like a rifle and more shooters , used to make sure he and anyone in his circle was killed, that makes a statement.

Was it an inside job? again then why, what and who did he pose a threat to , which could be something he knew, but if that were the case, they could get close to him, and if he wasnt killed he could then turn evidence against those involved.

Was it random?, perhaps a crazed fan who fancied himself more than he was but in reality was nothing more than a pathetic nothing that figured, he'd be linked to Wallace for life, like Mark David Chapman, or Robert Bardo?.... possibly.

Were Police involved? again Possibly, there has been evidence linked to former police involved in the murder, but again, i think youd see a more lethal force than a single gunman, and a small caliber weapon .

But all of those are "possible" , it wont be until someone talks, that this case, will move from stalled .

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back