Fl - Mother, 34, arrested for letting seven-year-old son walk to nearby park alone

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2711143/Mom-arrested-letting-son-7-park-alone.html

Nicole Gainey, 34, of Port St. Lucie, Florida was arrested on Saturday after lifeguards saw her son D. walking past a pool on the way to the park, which is half a mile from his home.

When they questioned the boy, who has a learning disability, he ran toward the park, where officers picked him up and drove him home

She said the park is about 10 minutes away and she always sends him off with a cell phone so that she can contact him or he can get in touch with her in case there's a problem.

'I honestly didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I was letting him go play,' she told WPTV. 'I'm totally dumbfounded by this whole situation.'

Police said in their police report that there were 'numerous sex offenders living in the vicinity' - but Gainey said she felt her son was mature enough to walk to the park alone.

This one has me conflicted, and here's why:

It's almost like children and parents are being punished (having their freedoms restricted) on account of all of the "registered sex offenders in the vicinity" as noted in the police report.

I can't help but think how nice it would be if our system removed sex offenders from our society instead of expecting the rest of us to adapt to their presence among us.

That said, I think even in a world of no sex offenders, it wouldn't be a good idea to send such a young child off alone to play where he can't be seen by a caretaker. He could fall & bump his head and be unable to reach his phone, or something. The buddy system is always best, IMO.

I SMH at the lack of common sense shown by the mother in this case. But I wish that we could live in a world where creeps convicted of sex crimes aren't even a consideration when thinking of our children's safety and well being.

JMO

Agree with all if the above post.

Even the savviest child is no match for an adult predator, and our justice system allows them to live amongst us.

Too huge of a risk and one his mother shouldn't be willing to bet his life or well being on.

I agree. I don't like that we can't safely let our kids walk alone to the park, but it's the world we live in.

I'm curious what is meant by he has a "learning disability". Because even if he didn't, it doesn't make it any safer IMO

I wonder how many times he's done this before.

Also, kudos to the lifeguards who noticed and checked on him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back