741 users online (84 members and 657 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    As far as fairs were concerned, the Franklin County Fair in Hilliard took place around mid to late July.

I remember that the Ohio State Fair used to be held during late August thru Labor Day back then.

I don't know if there were any carnivals and circuses in the area during that time.

The home where Michael Dean Klitch lived is less that half a mile from the area where Lola Celli lived and disappeared from Grandview Heights in February 1946.
    The Sells family had a circus. Their winter home was in Grandview, I believe. They disbanded in the early 1900s, I believe - or maybe absorbed by Ringling Bros. At any rate, Ringling Bros. comes every year and walks the elephants down the road in a parade where the Sells circus used to be. They might come more than once a year, but I don't pay too much attention. It would be interesting to see if the circus was in town then. I could see a boy easily being enticed to go see the elephants.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

Terribly sad case..

If this case and the Griener case are related then the killer may have traveled by train and be Guatney or someone like him. 300+ miles isn't far if you travel a lot by train. It could be that Griener's body was just better hidden than Klitch's and never found. However, it would be good if we had a train schedule timetable for both these locations at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    If this case and the Griener case are related then the killer may have traveled by train and be Guatney or someone like him. 300+ miles isn't far if you travel a lot by train. It could be that Griener's body was just better hidden than Klitch's and never found. However, it would be good if we had a train schedule timetable for both these locations at the time.

Here's a link about passenger rail service that existed in Columbus until the mid 1970's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_S...olumbus,_Ohio)

In May 1971, Amtrak was the only passenger rail service in Columbus before passenger rail service went out of existence during the mid 1970's in Columbus.

Since "missing boy" and "railroad tracks" seem to be a hot topic on this forum, I found a couple of MP's that went missing together from the next big town south of Columbus (Cincinnati). I-71 also goes through Cincinnati, though it wasn't complete through downtown when these boys went missing (1964). They are both white boys that are just a little younger than Klitch. It was also less than 10-yrs before his murder, so it could be related.

John Hundley and James McQueary disappeared in 10/1964 near Fairfax, OH. They were walking to John's house from a local restaurant when last seen.
    One of the possibilities the police entertained was them running away by somehow getting on a freight train and riding away. It appears that there were tracks on the path they were taking and maybe some kind of station or at least a rail/rail intersection nearby.
    They were never seen again.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ey_johnny.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ary_jimmy.html

I also found a map of Ohio that shows the progress of the Interstates at the time (from 1965). Will try to attach a snip. Marked where they went missing with blue dot.

Cincy 1965.JPG

Someone mentioned RR tracks by the tennis courts. I tried to follow the tracks on a current map and got nowhere... I remembered that there is a 'Rails-to-Trails' section that follows Route 3. I used to take Worthington Road to Plumb Rd. to Route 3 to avoid all of the rush hour traffic going north.

Here is the map of one of the trails from an old rail bed. http://dcft.typepad.com/genoatrail/

I know the tracks were there until at least the late 70s because I know someone who walked the tracks as a shortcut to get home.

jmo

ETA - not sure if link works. If not try this one: http://www.ohiobikeways.net/gmap.htm (Genoa Trail)
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

New Grandview Heights Map

Here's a new map that shows the location of the railroad tracks in Grandview Heights.

New Grandview Map.JPG

The blue dot is where Michael Dean Klitch lived.

The black dot is the high rise apartments.

The red dot is the tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

The purple dot is the swimming pool.

The green line is the possible route that Michael Dean Klitch may have took when he walked from his home to the tennis courts.

The yellow line is the location from the tennis courts to the swimming pool and the route Michael's mother would have took to drive from the tennis courts to the swimming pool.

Looking at the red dot where the tennis courts are, you can see that the railroad tracks are right behind the tennis courts.

Railroad Maps

Here are two maps of the railroads in the Columbus area.

New Grandview Railroad Map.JPG

On the color map, the blue dot is where Michael Dean Klitch lived and the red dot is the tennis courts where he was last seen.

Take a look at the set of railroad tracks which is the Buckeye Rail yard located north of I-70 and west of I-270 between Trabue Road and Roberts Road on the far west side of Columbus.

The Buckeye Rail Yard is approximately 5 miles from where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen in Grandview Heights.

penn central columbus overview 12-69.jpg

The black and white map is a December 1969 Penn Central Railroad Map of all the railroads operating in the Columbus area back then.

Here is a link to see the street view of Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue in Grandview Heights.

I don't think that area has changed much over the years, but it will give you an idea of what the area looks like where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen at the tennis courts.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gooda...a1k0Kn-wvFtSaQ

And here is the link to see the street view of Africa Road and Plumb Road in Delaware County.

When you drag the cursor on Africa Road in street view, you will see the dirt road that is near Africa Road and Plumb Road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Afric...hv8UGuI1oYz89g

Here's some info from the Columbus newspapers about the old wooden tool shack where the body of Michael Dean Klitch was found.

The shack did not burn down to the ground. One side of the shack wall and some of the shack floor had been scorched.

The Delaware County Sheriff told reporters at the crime scene that the shack would have burned to the ground if gasoline or another type of fuel had been used to burn the body.

A week after the body had been found in the old wooden tool shack, another ground search was conducted by LE in the area near the shack. Two cans of charcoal lighter fluid were found nearby in the tall weeds.

The Columbus newspapers also reported that one resident who lived in the area near the shack recalled seeing a light green Chevrolet turn in that area late one night.

Probably goes without saying. But they mentioned he was in a hurry to leave and dropped the ball. He could have been abducted while he was leaving and dropped the ball.

:+:Anneliese Michel:+:

[21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

[Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:

From what I was able to understand from the 1971 Columbus newspaper articles, the floor and wall boards from the wooden shack, and the two cans were taken to the state crime lab. The newspaper articles didn't mention any brand names from the two cans or if the cans were new or old cans.

The Columbus newspaper articles from 1971 also mentioned that there weren't any ransom demand for Michael Dean Klitch during the time the youth was missing.

In a January 1993 Columbus Dispatch article, a Delaware County law enforcement officer who investigated the Klitch murder case on and off since 1971 was retiring after a 34 year law enforcement career.

The retiring lawman revealed believed that any potential clues that the killer may have left behind were washed away by rain before the boy's body was found. It was also revealed that investigators were not able to determine who had committed the murder.

Quote Originally Posted by bflocket View Post
    Not to give them any credit, but the killer was possibly smart enough to know that the place where they dumped Michael would be indefinitely underwater in the near future.
    This is heartbreaking!

Where could his body have been placed before being found in that shed, that would be an underwater location later on? What lakes and rivers and in that area? I have a horrifying feeling that Mike could have been abducted by surprise and very quickly with his tennis ball still at the court, as well as the description stating that he was not comfortable around new places or people. His abductor and killer probably sought to take advantage of Mike presumably being alone.

Were their ever any leads or suspects in his case?

Satch

The Scioto River is fairly close. That is where Alum/Walnut creeks (the water from the reservoir) eventually winds up, then going to the Ohio River.
    The Olentangy River is nearby.
    The "big" rivers that are somewhat close are Great Miami River and Little Miami River.
    The Ohio River is a bit further south, but it's where area water eventually drains to.

Deliverance and this case gave me something to think about...
    Are there any people in clandestine graves buried (far) beneath any of my local reservoirs?
    I know there were cemeteries moved when they made Taylorsville Lake nearby when I was a kid, but murderers/etc don't usually use "official" burial grounds.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast