1272 users online (226 members and 1046 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I found a website on Mike's case,

It's the Office of the Attorney General in Ohio's list of cases. But when you go to it, it takes forever and a day to load because there are so many cases on the page. There is a case description of Michael Klitch there. However, to get to it, because the site never stops loading, you have to use the Find Text in your browser, and type in "Klitch." There are four matches on the page that included the following:

1.) A Huge picture of Mike like a school portrait or something that I can't resize
    2.) A description of his disappearance and the horror of his remains being found, this includes a time-line of approximately when he may have been killed.
    3.) Another picture (Very emotional) of Mike playing tennis and bending down to pick up a tennis ball
    4.) A link for tips.

It's hard to get to because the site is constantly loading up pictures of other cases. Not just Mike's. The page "loads" (moves) making it very hard to navigate. This is in Firefox 32. Maybe someone with good photo cropping software and editing skills could bring Mike's information from that site to here? (Or try a different browser?)

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/F...Case/Homicides

I found (and lost) another bit on Mike's case Google Searching. It is a bi-line from Columbus Ohio Dispatch articles about Mike's case. You can't read the articles, you have to contact the office to get them. I assume fees may apply.

Satch

Satch, see post #7. I included the photo and info from the Ohio AG's site, with a direct link to Mike's page.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Nerosleuth linked me to this case. For now, I have some thoughts on this that I figured I'd share.

When I started reading, something that jumped out at me was where Michael's belongings were found. They were found in an illegal trash dump near the shed. How big was this dump? Was it a large one or more like a small ditch where people would toss stuff if they were passing by? What kind of items would be there? I find it really strange that whoever did it didn't bother trying to burn those items, especially when there was clearly a search for Michael going on that seems to have gotten some publicity. It makes me wonder why and makes me think that perhaps the illegal trash dump wasn't used often (or they could have been noticed earlier). I also wonder why the gasoline cans weren't dumped in there as well.

Another thing I find strange is that Michael's body was charred and the corpse was partially burned. It seems like the day Michael disappeared was a very hot day, it was in the summertime too. I'm guessing the following days were equally hot. I'll try to look up the weather for those days, as well as rain fall. I'm saying this because I find it strange that the fire didn't spread to the whole shed and especially to the vegetation around the shed, which seems like it was very dense. My guess is that the killer was trying to burn Michael's body, maybe the fire got out of control a bit but they put it out to avoid drawing attention.

The fact that Michael didn't leave a note before leaving home seems strange but I think it's probably because he'd already told his mother where he was going to be.

There are some questions I have. I don't know if anyone here can answer them at all but they're questions I think are worth asking:
    * How frequented were the roads like the one near the shed? I'm guessing they were quite isolated. Were they something only locals would know about? Would they be easy to find otherwise?
    * How spread out were the properties on the site?
    * Was it well-known that the area would be submerged soon?
    * How many people were still living in the area? Was anyone still living in the property that had been recently sold? Any reports of anyone squatting? We know there was the neighbor who saw a car and the family who found Michael's body.
    * Would there be any other people who could be very familiar with the area? Say, people working for property-owners, people who did work related to the forest, even people who did work related to the dam and who would know the terrain well?

Everything in my posts is just my opinion unless it's a quote. ||| please don't quote my posts outside of this site without my permission.
    I'm no longer very active on WS due to lack of time, if you'd like to keep in touch feel free to PM me though.

Is it also known who among Mike's family is still living?

There is almost nothing on his case concerning suspects or leads, especially in compared to other unsolved crimes.

Satch

Below is a link to the Grandview Heights City Recreation Park Directory in Ohio,

http://www.grandviewheights.org/index.aspx?nid=88

Post #25 has Google Maps and a Street View of the Tennis Courts were Mike Klitch was last seen.

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    At the time that Michael Dean Klitch left home on the afternoon of June 28, 1971, the temperature at 2:00 p.m. that afternoon was 93 degrees with a heat index of 96 degrees.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

That would explain why Michael was the only person at the tennis court that afternoon and why it was empty when his mother arrived to pick him up that afternoon.
    Thanks for that weather information,

Seemingly too hot to be playing tennis with a heat index of almost 100 degrees. Oh this poor kid! With his tennis ball being at the court and Mike not found of new people I have two theories of what could have happened to him:

1.) He was grabbed from behind, possibly when he was about to leave, or abducted by force some other way. You wonder as he was not found of new people or situations, did he scream? Did he try to run away?

2.) The other theory is that his abductor tried to charm him, saw he was hot and uncomfortable, perhaps offering him a ride home, which lead to tragedy. I think Mike would be very apprehensive of strangers, so my first guess I think is more likely.

When I was looking for information on Mike's case I recall reading about some unsolved cases in and around Ohio over a ten year period of time. I wish I could find the exact site that had this information. How many other unsolved disappearances and/or murders existed in Ohio from say 1971-1981 near the area were Mike Klitch was last seen?

It seems that from what I have read, it can be inferred that Mike's killer was familiar with the area.

Hope for some closure!

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Were their ever any leads or suspects in his case?
    According to the Columbus newspaper articles from July 1971, law enforcement authorities focused their investigation on sex deviates as possible suspects.

A Columbus newspaper article from late August 1971 reported that the murder investigation had turned cold. The article reported that investigators didn’t have any suspects and investigators had run out of leads as many people had been eliminated as suspects.

And in a Columbus newspaper article from January 1993, the Delaware County lawman who was retiring after a 34 year law enforcement career and was the lead investigator in the Klitch murder case revealed that all leads that they had received over the years had been checked into but didn’t pan out.

When I was looking for information on Mike's case I recall reading about some unsolved cases in and around Ohio over a ten year period of time. I wish I could find the exact site that had this information.

How many other unsolved disappearances and/or murders existed in Ohio from say 1971-1981 near the area were Mike Klitch was last seen?
    It was the Marvin Lee “Beau” King thread on Websleuths that mentioned the unsolved cases involving boys of similar ages who were abducted and murdered along Interstate 70 in Indiana and Ohio from 1970 to 1980.

Here are the other unsolved murders along Interstate 70 in Indiana and Ohio from 1970 to 1980.

October 3, 1970 Indianapolis, Indiana
    Victim: Jerry Michael Bayles Junior, age 10, of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Jerry Michael Bayles Junior does not have a thread on Websleuths, but there is a memorial website that has details about his cold murder case.

http://jerrymichaelbayles.weebly.com/

January 25, 1973 Springfield, Ohio
    Victim: Marvin Lee “Beau” King, age 12, of Springfield, Ohio

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ty-25-Jan-1973

January 7, 1980 Columbus, Ohio
    Victim: William “Bill” Comeans, age 14, of Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...u-Social-Media

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...Social-Media-2

Is it also known who among Mike's family is still living?
    I believe his parents and siblings are still living.

I have two theories of what could have happened to him:

1.) He was grabbed from behind, possibly when he was about to leave, or abducted by force some other way. You wonder as he was not fond of new people or situations, did he scream? Did he try to run away?

2.) The other theory is that his abductor tried to charm him, saw he was hot and uncomfortable, perhaps offering him a ride home, which lead to tragedy.

I think Mike would be very apprehensive of strangers, so my first guess I think is more likely.
    You have two very good theories regarding how Michael Dean Klitch could have been abducted.

If he was grabbed from behind or abducted by force some other way, you have to wonder if the abduction was committed by one person or by two persons. You also have to wonder if chloroform was used in the abduction.

If it was an abductor that tried to charm him, you have to wonder if it was someone that Mike and his parents knew. Maybe a parent or an older sibling of his friends or his sibling’s friends, or someone from his neighborhood. I don’t think Mike would have accepted a ride from someone who was a complete stranger to him or his parents.

I agree with you that Mike would be very apprehensive of strangers, so I believe your first theory is the most likely scenario involving his abduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Veidt View Post
    I find it strange that the fire didn't spread to the whole shed and especially to the vegetation around the shed, which seems like it was very dense.
    When Michael’s body was found, the Delaware County Sheriff told the news media reporters that if a more flammable liquid such as gasoline had been used, the whole shed would have burned to the ground.

Charcoal lighter fluid cans were found near the shed. Police investigators believed that charcoal lighter fluid was used to set Michael’s body ablaze.

Charcoal lighter fluid is generally used on outdoor grills for cooking food in the backyards or at picnics.

Quote Originally Posted by Veidt View Post
    Something that jumped out at me was where Michael's belongings were found. They were found in an illegal trash dump near the shed. How big was this dump? Was it a large one or more like a small ditch where people would toss stuff if they were passing by?

There are some questions I have. I don't know if anyone here can answer them at all but they're questions I think are worth asking:

* How frequented were the roads like the one near the shed? I'm guessing they were quite isolated. Were they something only locals would know about? Would they be easy to find otherwise?

* How spread out were the properties on the site?

* Was it well-known that the area would be submerged soon?

* How many people were still living in the area? Was anyone still living in the property that had been recently sold? Any reports of anyone squatting? We know there was the neighbor who saw a car and the family who found Michael's body.

* Would there be any other people who could be very familiar with the area? Say, people working for property-owners, people who did work related to the forest, even people who did work related to the dam and who would know the terrain well?
    I don’t know how big the dump was. From the pictures that appeared in the Columbus newspapers, the dump was a makeshift landfill at an abandoned quarry. The dirt road was a quarter of a mile or so away from the county roadway, so it wasn’t where you could toss stuff from your car as you were driving by.

The dirt road near the shed was quite isolated and barely noticeable from the county roadway. I believe the dump was known by those that either lived in or was familiar with that area. The county roadways in the Cheshire area of Delaware County are easily connected to U.S. Route 23, U.S. Route 36, and Ohio State Route 3.

Since it was a rural farmland area, I believe the properties were spread out back then.

It was well known from news media reports that a dam and a reservoir were being constructed in that area. The development planning, land acquisition, and construction of a dam and reservoir can take many years.

I don’t know about the squatting situation, but it was mentioned in the Columbus newspapers that many “rough” and “weird” looking strangers were often seen by area residents who lived nearby.

I believe there would be plenty of other people who didn’t live in but could be very familiar with the area. Since the area was rural farmland, there would be people working for property owners on their farms, people working for the utility company (electric, telephone, etc.), and people who did work related to the dam project.

Keep in mind that the shed and the dump where Michael Dean Klitch’s body was found happened to be at an old abandoned quarry. There would have been former quarry workers and people who knew that there was a quarry in that area.

I am not sure,

But if Mike's Dad was Richard Klitch, Richard was a very prominent tennis coach in the Ohio area. Here is an article about him:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=2862,698237

It is from 2003.

If this is a relation, and I have almost no doubt it is, it is even more heartbreaking that Mike was abducted and killed simply doing something he likely enjoyed. Who knows? Maybe his Dad pushed him into tennis and Mike could have been reluctant, but my instinct is that Mike really enjoyed the game. Oh geez, I just thought of the article that talks about the special ball that his Dad gave him that was found at the court. Oh is this awful!!!

Satch

I am not sure,

But if Mike's Dad was Richard Klitch, Richard was a very prominent tennis coach in the Ohio area. Here is an article about him:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=2862,698237

It is from 2003.

If this is a relation, and I have almost no doubt it is, it is even more heartbreaking that Mike was abducted and killed simply doing something he likely enjoyed.
    Yes, this is Mike's father. His parents still live in the same house that Mike and his siblings lived at in 1971.

Thanks for sharing the newspaper article with us about Mike's father.

Yes, this is Mike's father. His parents still live in the same house that Mike and his siblings lived at in 1971.

Thanks!

What is so painful about this case is that it's not like Mike's abduction and killing happened in some high-crime or at risk neighborhood. It's not like he was walking on some dangerous streets at night, or even during the day. Mike was just playing tennis on the tennis count in a seemingly upper-middle class community. Not exactly know for crime and the horror of abduction and murder.

Just some other questions:

1.) It sounds like the Klitch's had money and likely prestige in the community. It would seem that they were very well liked in the community. But could there have been some nut-case out there who was angry at the family's success and used Mike's abduction and murder as a form of revenge? Did anyone in the family have any known enemies and why?

2.) Or do you think that Mike was abducted and killed by a complete stranger who just happened to be in the area and wanted to abduct a kid and murder him?

3.) Do you think anyone say ANYTHING that horrible day, or heard anything? Or did this happen so fast that no one heard anything? There was as I recall, a maid in one of the apartments across the way who saw a boy fitting Mike's description playing tennis at the courts.

4.) Were there statements from the family concerning how well they thought Mike's case was being handled by LE to catch his abductor and murderer?

Satch

This I believe is an article about Mike's mother, Joan who in 2011 was President of an Ohio Bridge club:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/...ng-bridge.html

It seems the family was very socially involved and had wonderful support from the community. Note that the article is more about the club itself than Mrs. Klitch. The family really sounds like great people! It is beyond heartbreaking how Mike was taken from them.

Satch

Ass end of nowhere, hell hole of a holler
    Sorry if I missed this, it's late & I'm having brain fatigue. Was anyone from the luxury high-rise apartments interviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Donamena View Post
    Sorry if I missed this, it's late & I'm having brain fatigue. Was anyone from the luxury high-rise apartments interviewed?
    Greetings,

I read that a cleaning lady at the apartments said she saw someone matching Mike's description on the tennis courts that afternoon. This poor kid was wearing a pull over sweater in almost 100 degree heat! A lot of young pre-teans and teens, don't follow the weather. Although I learn toward a forced abduction here, his killer may have seen him in that heat a pretended to have pity on him. Could it be with heat being as bad as it was, and assuming that Mike was so hot, that he could have forgotten about his proper apprehension of strangers because the heat was getting to him, badly?

Trying to work out a time interview. Some say Mike left the house at 2:10 PM and was probably on the tennis court for a good hour. just guessing that the abduction could have happened sometime between 3:00 to 3:30. My feeling is that Mike probably did not take water, ice, or other cooling equipment. Could weather that hot have affected his judgment or thinking into being lulled away? We can't dismiss the report of how hot that weather was. As I recall, Mrs. Klitch came to pick up Mike about 3:35-3:40. He was supposed to go swimming with his siblings after tennis and than play a baseball game later that day.

What moves you to tears with this case is how EASILY Mike Klitch could have been saved! Anyone from the family, or the kids he met telling him, "Oh, Mike it's 100 degrees out, too hot to play tennis." He was known as a great kid and was close to his family. The fact that he always left notes where he was going, (except that tragic day, Mike did not.) However, he did tell his Mother he was going to the tennis courts around 2PM, so I don't think him not leaving a note was unusual. Mike seemed to show great maturity and responsibility for his age! He could have met up with even as little as one other person and his killer probably would not have abducted him and killed him. He could have sensed the bad heat and said himself, "It's too hot to play, I'm going back home."

Even playing with another person on the court, instead of him just presumably serving the ball against a ricochet wall, could have prevented this whole thing! (I assume he was alone the whole time.)

Satch

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast