1186 users online (246 members and 940 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I am so grateful that this thread for Mike is now a part of our community!

A lot of times we tend to forget the older cases from so many years ago, and that is wrong! Age and time does not take away from a tragedy. There is such emotional sensitivity involved, but I think it would be very courageous and awesome for anyone in Mike's family to know that we care about him and hope that justice and peace can be found in Mike's case! I wonder if there is a way that a Mod or Administrator could somehow reach out to the Klitch family and let them know about our forum! On one hand, it's like opening up a Pandora's box after forty-two years. On the other hand, I would think that there are many people who loved Mike very much and do not even know about how this community brings people together who have been involved with painful circumstances.

We are here to help with caring, sharing, and healing. Mike Klitch, you will always be missed and never forgotten!

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    I am so grateful that this thread for Mike is now a part of our community!

A lot of times we tend to forget the older cases from so many years ago, and that is wrong! Age and time does not take away from a tragedy. There is such emotional sensitivity involved, but I think it would be very courageous and awesome for anyone in Mike's family to know that we care about him and hope that justice and peace can be found in Mike's case! I wonder if there is a way that a Mod or Administrator could somehow reach out to the Klitch family and let them know about our forum! On one hand, it's like opening up a Pandora's box after forty-two years. On the other hand, I would think that there are many people who loved Mike very much and do not even know about how this community brings people together who have been involved with painful circumstances.

We are here to help with caring, sharing, and healing. Mike Klitch, you will always be missed and never forgotten!

Satch
    Correction: Forgive my Math, as it was never one of my best subjects. It has been forty-four years, (not forty-two) since Mike's tragedy.

Satch

Here is information about Marble Cliff, Ohio, which is a small, quiet, and friendly community village, nestled around the Grandview Heights area where Mike lived with his family, and where his parents still live today:

http://www.marblecliff.org/

The last place you would ever expect somebody to be abducted and murdered, which makes Mike's story shocking beyond all comprehension! It also seems to be an up-scale wonderful community with a great sense of community care, love, and dedication.

This is a wonderful article about "The Klitch Fund" set up by Mike's parents, Richard and Joan in dedication to Mike's memory! According to the article, "The Klitch Fund provides the opportunity to help pay for after school programs and camps, and helped one student attend college." It is also used to pay for defibrillators for schools:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=4196,293988

A defibrillator provides first response treatment for medical heart conditions:

Source is here: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...m/Defribulator

Satch
    Last edited by Satch; 11-15-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Here is a picture of a dam, which is part of Alum Creek Lake as it exists today.

Not sure, but on the far left of the picture SEEMS to be a shack type structure that could have resembled where Michael Klitch's body was found. Where this picture was taken in relation to the area where Mike's body was found, I have no idea. It is striking though to see that type of structure there. Were there a lot of houses like those shown in the picture in 1971? Or because much of the land was still under construction, best guess is that most of it was open and vacant. I think the exact location where Mike was found is now underwater. Someone from that area, who could remember what it was like back in 1971, might have additional helpful information.

Regards,

Satch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a picture of a dam, which is part of Alum Creek Lake as it exists today.

Not sure, but on the far left of the picture SEEMS to be a shack type structure that could have resembled where Michael Klitch's body was found. Where this picture was taken in relation to the area where Mike's body was found, I have no idea. It is striking though to see that type of structure there. Were there a lot of houses like those shown in the picture in 1971? Or because much of the land was still under construction, best guess is that most of it was open and vacant. I think the exact location where Mike was found is now underwater. Someone from that area, who could remember what it was like back in 1971, might have additional helpful information.

Regards,

Satch
    The picture is a public park on Alum Creek Lake next to the dam area on Lewis Center Road, near the intersection of Lewis Center Road and Africa Road. The area where the picture was taken is approximately two miles south from where Mike was found.

The shack on the left of the picture is the public restroom at the park. The shack where Mike was found was more of a tool shed that a homeowner would have on their backyard.

It is my understanding that the area along Alum Creek Lake and the dam had very few houses and were rural farm land back in 1971. The many houses that you see in the picture at the dam area along Alum Creek Lake were likely developed after the dam was built.

Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    The picture is a public park on Alum Creek Lake next to the dam area on Lewis Center Road, near the intersection of Lewis Center Road and Africa Road. The area where the picture was taken is approximately two miles south from where Mike was found.

The shack on the left of the picture is the public restroom at the park. The shack where Mike was found was more of a tool shed that a homeowner would have on their backyard.

It is my understanding that the area along Alum Creek Lake and the dam had very few houses and were rural farm land back in 1971. The many houses that you see in the picture at the dam area along Alum Creek Lake were likely developed after the dam was built.
    This is very helpful! That picture only about two miles south from the location of where Mike was found. Can someone post a picture as close to the location as to where that shack was, just for a reference point? The reason is, it would be interesting to see if there is all water there now, or if there are any trees or terrain. I would certainly think the shack is no longer there. To try to have a location of exactly the way that specific area looked back in 1971 may be impossible or very hard to do, unless there are some archive maps of that location for this time period.

The website below is an overview of Alum Creek Park with park service information, interactive maps and a blog. This may help others in studying how the park is today. Maybe some historical information could be discovered as well.

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/alumcreek

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
    The school year had already ended a few weeks earlier. Like all other school age youths, twelve year old Michael Dean Klitch was enjoying his summer vacation participating in many summer outdoor activities.

Michael Dean Klitch was very close to his family. The youth had always left notes concerning his whereabouts whenever he left his parentís home.

Michael Dean Klitch left his Cambridge Boulevard home in Marble Cliff at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Monday June 28, 1971 to practice tennis at the Grandview Heights municipal tennis courts at Goodale Boulevard & Urlin Avenue in Grandview Heights for an upcoming tennis tournament that he had recently entered.

Earlier that day, the Michael Dean Klitch told his mother he was going to the tennis courts and asked his mother to pick him up at the tennis courts later that afternoon. When the youth left home that afternoon, he didnít leave a note concerning his whereabouts.

Attachment 56022

Michael Dean Klitch was wearing horn rimmed glasses, aqua pullover sweater with white stripes around the collar and sleeves, yellow tan shorts with knee length white socks and white tennis shoes with a black stripe when he left home.

As Michael was walking by himself to the tennis courts, he stopped to talk with neighborhood children about 2:30 p.m. in front of the church near his home. It was the last time that Michael Dean Klitch was seen in his neighborhood by neighborhood children.

A maid working at the luxury high rise Summit Chase apartments at Goodale Boulevard & Urlin Avenue told police that she saw a boy fitting Michael Dean Klitchís description playing tennis by himself that afternoon. The tennis courts were across the street from the high rise apartments.

Michaelís mother and two of his siblings arrived at the tennis courts at 3:30 p.m. to pick him up and take them swimming at the Grandview Swimming Club at 1350 West Goodale Boulevard.

The tennis courts were empty and Michael Dean Klitch was nowhere to be seen when Michaelís mother and his siblings arrived at the tennis courts to pick him up.

After waiting on her son at the empty tennis courts, Michaelís mother then drove and dropped his siblings off at the Grandview Swimming Club before attending a school board meeting that afternoon. Michaelís mother was a member of the Grandview Heights school board.

After returning home from the school board meeting, Michaelís mother had expected to find her son home. But the youth hadnít returned home. And none of his siblings had seen him return home.

Michael played centerfield in a little league baseball team and he had an important baseball game that he was to have played that evening.

Michaelís parents contacted police that evening when he didnít return home.

One of Michaelís tennis balls was found at the tennis court four feet from the gate. The tennis ball was an unusual brand that the youthís father had brought for his son.

Michaelís parents believed that their son must have left the tennis courts in a hurry as he would never leave his tennis balls lying there.

Michael Dean Klitch was described by his parents as adventuresome, such as trying a double flip from the diving board at the pool, but he didnít like new situations or new people.

An extensive search was conducted by police and civilians for the missing youth. The wooded areas from Dublin Road & Grandview Avenue east towards Twin Rivers Drive and west towards West Fifth Avenue were searched.

Penn Central Railroad Police were also informed about the youthís disappearance as their railroad tracks were right behind the municipal tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

A five thousand dollar reward seeking information leading to the safe return of Michael Dean Klitch was offered by anonymous friends of the Klitch family.

Almost two weeks after the youthís disappearance, at about 7:45 p.m. on the evening of Sunday July 11, 1971, the body of Michael Dean Klitch was found inside an old wooden tool shack on a old dirt road two miles south of Cheshire and one fifth of a mile west of Africa Road and Plumb Road near Alum Creek in Delaware County.

The remote area where the youthís body was found was shrouded on both sides of the dirt road by thick thorny vines, small trees, and head high weeds.

The body was found by two adult siblings who had went for an evening walk with their children along the dirt road to pick berries and to skip rocks at an old quarry pond. The adult siblings were visiting their parents who lived in the area near the crime scene.

Michael Dean Klitchís body was found badly charred and decomposed inside the old wooden tool shack. His eyeglasses, tennis racket, tennis shoes, and clothing that he wore on the day of his disappearance were found in an illegal trash dump near the tool shack.

The shack was on land recently purchased but not yet transferred over to the federal government for the new Alum Creek Dam that was under construction about one and a half miles south of the murder scene.

The remote area where the youthís body was found in July 1971 is now Alum Creek Lake.

An autopsy revealed that Michael Dean Klitch had been stabbed 26 times in the left chest by a butcher knife and he had been deceased for about two weeks prior to his body being found.

The coroner didnít find any evidence of struggle by the victim, but couldnít determine if the victim had been molested due to the condition of the body.

Authorities believe that Michael Dean Klitch was murdered at another location before his body was dumped inside the tool shack and set ablaze by his killer.

No one has ever been arrested in connection with the abduction and murder of Michael Dean Klitch and the case remains unsolved to this day.

Sources:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/F...micides/Klitch

The Columbus Citizen Journal and the Columbus Dispatch newspapers on microfilm at the public library.
    Greetings Nerosleuth,

An inquiry I have, do you recall the date or year (or both) when this very resourceful above article was published?

Thanks in advance,

Satch

The resourceful article was the first post that I wrote myself in the Michael Dean Klitch thread. The information about the Michael Dean Klitch case was obtained from the morning and evening Columbus newspaper articles from July and August of 1971.

I would encourage anyone that has any information on the Klitch case to contact Detective Jeffrey Bessinger at the Delaware County Sheriff's Office at 740-833-2892 or email him at jbessinger@co.delaware.oh.us

Could Mike have passed out from dehydration or exhaustion, and then been picked up by the perpetrator? If someone happened to see this, the perp could have said that they were taking the boy away from the court to somewhere cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
    Could Mike have passed out from dehydration or exhaustion, and then been picked up by the perpetrator? If someone happened to see this, the perp could have said that they were taking the boy away from the court to somewhere cooler.
    I had never thought of that! But this is possible considering:

1.) There was no evidence of a struggle at the tennis court.
    2.) Mike didn't like new situations and new people
    3.) The heat index was close to 100 degrees that day. Mike was overdressed like it was a 75-80 degree day.
    4.) The perpetrator COULD have said something to someone, but maybe he said nothing to no one.
    5.) Mike's clothes and tennis equipment were found nearby the shed, so he obviously had his tennis racquet, probably more than one ball (referencing the one found four feet from the gate.)

If Graham's assertion is correct, it is one of the most horrifying and painful situations that this poor, good kid endured. I wonder what LE has in the case file? I think we have two excellent theories:

A.) My possible belief that Mike was taken by force. ie a knife pulled on him as a threat. But it just seems that he would have screamed he would have ran, there would have been a struggle on the court. He was athletic. Could he have used his tennis racquet as a defense against his abductor and killer? He could have been knocked out by a chemical agent. We don't know how big his abductor and killer was. I don't think Mike went willingly.

B.) Graham's excellent post really sheds new light on this case! Mike collapsed from heat stroke or exhaustion. no ability to resit. Perpetrator can put him in a car, falsely charm him get him far away from the area. Know where the shack was. If or when Mike came to, he no longer had a chance. Murder him, burn the evidence. To abduct, hurt, and kill a passed-out kid? This gives new meaning to horrible and heartbreaking!

If anyone contacts the detective, via the above email, maybe we could tell him about this thread? That is so awesome that he is willing to take new leads and help bring justice to Mike Klitch and his family! It sure seems like Mike was an amazingly awesome kid!! This case REALLY haunts me! Thanks to everyone for your help and support in Mike's case!

Regards,

Satch

I had never thought of that! But this is possible considering:

1.) There was no evidence of a struggle at the tennis court.
    2.) Mike didn't like new situations and new people
    3.) The heat index was close to 100 degrees that day. Mike was overdressed like it was a 75-80 degree day.
    4.) The perpetrator COULD have said something to someone, but maybe he said nothing to no one.
    5.) Mike's clothes and tennis equipment were found nearby the shed, so he obviously had his tennis racquet, probably more than one ball (referencing the one found four feet from the gate.)

If Graham's assertion is correct, it is one of the most horrifying and painful situations that this poor, good kid endured. I wonder what LE has in the case file? I think we have two excellent theories:

A.) My possible belief that Mike was taken by force. ie a knife pulled on him as a threat. But it just seems that he would have screamed he would have ran, there would have been a struggle on the court. He was athletic. Could he have used his tennis racquet as a defense against his abductor and killer? He could have been knocked out by a chemical agent. We don't know how big his abductor and killer was. I don't think Mike went willingly.

B.) Graham's excellent post really sheds new light on this case! Mike collapsed from heat stroke or exhaustion. no ability to resit. Perpetrator can put him in a car, falsely charm him get him far away from the area. Know where the shack was. If or when Mike came to, he no longer had a chance. Murder him, burn the evidence. To abduct, hurt, and kill a passed-out kid? This gives new meaning to horrible and heartbreaking!

If anyone contacts the detective, via the above email, maybe we could tell him about this thread? That is so awesome that he is willing to take new leads and help bring justice to Mike Klitch and his family! It sure seems like Mike was an amazingly awesome kid!! This case REALLY haunts me! Thanks to everyone for your help and support in Mike's case!

Regards,

Satch
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone contacted the detective at the above email? I would love to know what (if any) evidence was found that we don't know about? The more I think about this case, the more I think that Mike passed out from heat stroke/exhaustion from the extreme almost 100 degree heat index that day and playing tennis dehydration. I do not believe that the perpetrator said something like, "something bad happened to (someone in the family) and they have asked me to take you home." Mike Klitch was either taken by force, which I would put at about 45% likely, or passed out and the perpetrator took horrifying advantage of this, which I put at a 55% possibility.

My views on the above theories are probably only going to change if something in Mike's case file contradicts them based on any physical evidence from LE on the case. We also know that Mike was extremely athletic, beyond his years. Young kids like this are often times oblivious to heat and health issues related to weather and fatigue. They think that their bodies can handle the elements. For Mike, his love of tennis, if not most sports, may have overtaken his concern for the weather that day. Mike thinking, if he thought about it at all, "I've played tennis in all kinds of weather before, why should today be any different.?"

With his Dad's extensive years of playing tennis and coaching experience, Mike was probably playing tennis from the time he was five years old. That's the thing. Who would have thought on that day he would be in danger by being alone, leading to tragedy? Or being over-dressed leading to a possible health tragedy? Even the location where Mike lived was the last place you would expect an abduction and murder to occur.

Thank you everyone for thinking of Mike and working to pursue justice and peace for him and his family.

Satch
    Last edited by Satch; 12-09-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Columbus Newspaper Articles

Here is a link of newspaper articles from the Columbus newspapers about the Klitch murder case.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Ws&usp=sharing

Some clarification if anyone knows

do we know if his body was burned prior to being hidden or was it burned where it was found in the tool shed ?

Another question ... I see in the original post that the body was discovered some distance away from where his belongings were found, but the OP also mentions the "murder site" .. Are we dealing with 2 or 3 separate sites? Is the location where his belongings were discovered considered the "murder site"?

Ill explain why later

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast