SC - Baby found 12 lbs under weight in filth, parents vanish

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://www.wbtw.com/story/26157022/...eight-in-filth-parents-vanish-authorities-say

When officials arrived they were met at the front door by dad Charles Garten, age 30, holding a 9-month-old infant in his arms. Garten allowed the officer and DSS officials into the home.

Inside the home police located mom Rebecca Schultz, age 21, hiding in a bedroom closet. According to DSS Schultz is not supposed to have any contact with the infant because of a previous issue.

According to police the home was in "deplorable conditions ... with heavy flea and roach infestation, canine fecal matter on the floor with dishes and trash strewn throughout the house". Two dogs were present and had to be physically restrained by Garten

The infant weighed 13.6 pounds when taken into custody, the average weight of a 9-month-old is 25 pounds.

Rebecca Schultz and Charles Garten

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 57
  • zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
I thought this said the baby was found under 12 lbs of filth. No matter what, this is horrible. Again.

21 years old and already have an order to have no contact with this baby. smh.

ETA: also from that article ^ baby found with signs of shaken baby syndrome. Poor baby, glad you still have a chance, kiddo!

The loving parents after giving birth to the child they abused and starved.

Attachments

• zz3.jpg
    zz3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 191
Where do they get the idea that the average weight of a nine month old is 25lbs? Mine averaged 16lbs at nine months. 25 at two years.

I'm not doubting that the baby was neglected or abused, but I think it's a bit sensational for the media to claim the baby is 12lbs underweight.

According to baby center-

9 months

Boys
Girls
Weight
18.2 - 21.1 pounds
16.7 - 19.7 pounds
Length
27.7 - 28.9 inches
27.0 - 28.3 inches

My just turned 7 mo old grandson is 25 libs. Its common even tho it might not be average. He's a big boy. Not overweight, just a big baby. Like his mom was.

My mom and brother were big babies, too. I just think it's very poor reporting to take the 97th percentile, call it the average weight, and proclaim the difference as how many pounds underweight the baby is. Without the medical records detailing the curve the child was on, or his current length, the media just doesn't have enough to go on. It is purely irresponsible to make up such a headline. They obviously don't care about the truth and it leads me to wonder what else they are exaggerating.

Schultz, who was prohibited from having contact with the infant by DSS, was found hiding in a closet at the home, the report states.

Authorities say the child appeared malnourished and lethargic. Both parents told deputies they were feeding the infant adult food because they did not have formula.

Garten "did locate three jars of baby food in a bedroom," the report states. "The food was not readily available and it appeared he searched for the food after repeated inquiries by DSS about the child not having food."

Although the parents are reportedly approved for WIC, Garten told deputies he did not have a way to go to the store to get food. No other food was present in the home, deputies say.

http://m.live5news.com/live5news/db_/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=jNfCyqUC&pn=&ps=#display

A few thoughts:
Dad (waving the 100's) is a drug user and dealer.
Mama is a drug user, who abused the baby while using.
One or the other of the parents collect benefits for the baby (which is the only reason they have the babies)
Why do all these people who can't feed their baby, have dogs in the house. Dog food is not cheap. What are the dogs eating? Dogs crapping in the floor when no one there will clean up it up. Every time I see one of the stories, there are animals in the house. They are all such loving people, they can't live with out pets?
All MOO.

UPDATE:

The Round O man accused of mistreating his 9-month-old son will spend three years in prison, but the child’s mother won’t be appearing in court.

SNIP

The 14th Circuit Court Solicitor’s Office dismissed the unlawful neglect of a child charge filed against Rebecca Schultz, 21. As prosecutors reviewed the state law, they found that there was insufficient evidence to pursue the case against Schultz.

When officials arrived at the residence on July 25, Schultz was under a Colleton County Family Court order that had taken her parental rights away from her. She still could have been charged if officials were able to determine she had been caring for the child in violation of the court order.

http://www.colletontoday.com/news/r...cle_5796f3c0-8aec-11e4-a38f-330c758062e7.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back