Still Missing Australia - Roxlyn Bowie, 31, Walgett, NSW, 5 June 1982 *husband guilty 2022*

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Castlereagh Police are appealing for assistance from the community, as part of Missing Persons Week, to locate Roxlyn Margaret Bowie, missing from the Walgett area since 1982.

National Missing Persons Week is being held from Sunday 3 August to Saturday 9 August 2014.

On Saturday 5 June 1982, Roxlyn Bowie, then aged 31, was at home on Euroka Street, Walgett, with her two young children.

Sometime during the evening, she disappeared from her home, leaving her children alone.

She was reported missing to police by family members.

At the time of her disappearance, she was described as being of Caucasian appearance, with fair complexion, brown hair and hazel eyes. She would now be aged 63.

Her disappearance is now being investigated by State Crime Command, Homicide Squad Detectives.

Anyone who knows of Roxlyn Bowie’s whereabouts or who has information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/.

10255199_10152354399111185_4599028907351618695_n.jpg
10527474_10152354399116185_8656863104284725145_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce

“Dear John, I’m leaving you with the kids for good. I’ve thought about it for a long time now and tonight finally did it. I’ve packed a few things and you can have the rest. I don’t want anything to remind me of you or the kids. Don’t try to find me, because I will never come back to you. Bye, Roxlyn.”

“Dear Mum and Dad, just a short note to say that I have left John and the kids for good. I’m making my way to South Australia or Western Australia to start a new life. Please don’t be hard on John because it wasn’t his fault that I left. I will write again when I settle down. Love, Roxlyn.”

It is the handwritten notes that continue to baffle investigators. Both were written on the same notepad, on consecutive pages. Three handwriting experts have concluded that they were written by Roxlyn.

But questions remain about a mysterious alteration in the letter to her parents where the word “her” was changed to “his”.

Russell says it “could simple just be a mistake that’s made and it’s just an alteration in the letter, but it stands out, the proverbial in that letter. These notes are the crux of this whole investigation.”

Police are offering a $1 million reward for information that could help crack a cold case of a NSW mother who disappeared 36 years ago.
Roxlyn Bowie, aged 31, was last seen at her Walgett home at 6pm on Saturday June 5th, 1982.
Ms Bowie left behind her husband and two children, aged nine and two at the time.
$1 million reward offered for 1982 cold case

A dam on the outskirts of a New South Wales town is being excavated after police received new information about the disappearance and suspected murder of Roxlyn Bowie.
Strike Force Maluka launched a forensic search today of two locations; a local dam that years ago served as a local swimming spot, and a nearby industrial site.

Excavation of the dam started this morning."I think the information is quite credible that she is buried in this dam," Detective Chief Inspector Russell Oxford told A Current Affair.

Dam searched after tip-off about disappearance of missing NSW mum

A dam on the outskirts of a New South Wales town is being excavated after police received new information about the disappearance and suspected murder of Roxlyn Bowie.
Strike Force Maluka launched a forensic search today of two locations; a local dam that years ago served as a local swimming spot, and a nearby industrial site.

Excavation of the dam started this morning."I think the information is quite credible that she is buried in this dam," Detective Chief Inspector Russell Oxford told A Current Affair.

Dam searched after tip-off about disappearance of missing NSW mum

Fingers crossed investigators find Roxlyn’s remains.

Last edited:
‘Dozens of police have descended on the town [Walgett] to search two locations after receiving a tip-off about Ms Bowie's disappearance.

A massive dam on private property is being excavated and concrete slabs are being searched using ground-penetrating radar equipment.

Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty said the industrial site was quite close to both Ms Bowie's family home and where she was last seen.

"I know it was being built around that time and that the concrete slabs were, [from] my understanding, being laid around that time," he said.

"It's something that we have to further examine."

Police said the new information was provided to them when they re-opened their investigation into the case.

They said the search could take weeks.’

Roxlyn Bowie tip-off leads NSW investigators to comb Walgett dam - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

‘Retired ambulance driver John Bowie, whose wife Roxlyn disappeared from their Walgett home without trace in 1982, has been convicted of four sex crimes against an intellectually disabled woman.

Bowie, 68, pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault and two counts of indecent dealing with a person with an impairment of mind.’

‘Prior to today, John Bowie was previously convicted of attempted murder, nine years after Roxlyn vanished.

He was arrested over the 1991 shooting of Ruebens Camejo near Newcastle.’

‘Strike Force Maluka continues to investigate Roxlyn's disappearance.

Acting on a tip-off, teams of police returned to Walgett late last year to dredge a dam on the outskirts of town looking for clues, but nothing was found.’

Man whose wife vanished in 1982 convicted of sex crimes

Last edited:
‘Police believe a diamond ring may help solve the disappearance and suspected murder of New South Wales mother Roxlyn Bowie 37 years ago.’

‘Detectives did forensic tests on a home in the northern NSW town yesterday and have now lodged an appeal to try to find the ring, which is believed to be Ms Bowie's.

A Current Affair has been told the search included the use of 3D-imaging cameras to map every room of the house.

Forensic police will also move through the premises, using a chemical known as luminol in an attempt to detect any trace of blood.

ACA crime editor Simon Bouda, who has been investigating Ms Bowie’s disappearance, said he had been told luminol could detect human blood even from decades ago.

The diamond ring hasn't been seen since it was bought at a Bankstown pawn shop on June 6, 1984. Police have released a picture of a similar ring in a bid to get public help to track it down.’

C1AD0D17-4687-4FD1-B25B-DEF4785E1E48.jpeg

Hunt on for diamond ring in Roxlyn Bowie case

Last edited:
‘Police believe a diamond ring may help solve the disappearance and suspected murder of New South Wales mother Roxlyn Bowie 37 years ago.’

‘Detectives did forensic tests on a home in the northern NSW town yesterday and have now lodged an appeal to try to find the ring, which is believed to be Ms Bowie's.

A Current Affair has been told the search included the use of 3D-imaging cameras to map every room of the house.

Forensic police will also move through the premises, using a chemical known as luminol in an attempt to detect any trace of blood.

ACA crime editor Simon Bouda, who has been investigating Ms Bowie’s disappearance, said he had been told luminol could detect human blood even from decades ago.

The diamond ring hasn't been seen since it was bought at a Bankstown pawn shop on June 6, 1984. Police have released a picture of a similar ring in a bid to get public help to track it down.’

Hunt on for diamond ring in Roxlyn Bowie case
Didn't he remarry not long after Roxlyn went missing like Dawson?
Perhaps the second wife had/has it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back