Woman won "100 Grand" not 100k Sues radio station

sharon25

Reaction score
Woman Sues Over Getting Candy and Not Cash

LEXINGTON, Ky. Jun 23, 2005 — A woman who won a radio contest has sued after the station tried to award her a candy bar instead of cash.

Norreasha Gill filed a complaint Wednesday in Fayette District Court against Atlanta-based Cumulus Media Inc., which owns WLTO-102.5 FM in Lexington. Gill says the station and its parent company breached a contract to pay $100,000 after a contest prize was revealed to be a Nestle's 100 Grand.

Gill said in the suit that night host DJ Slick sponsored a contest to "win 100 grand." Gill, 28, won the contest by listening to the radio show throughout the night and being the 10th caller.

She went to the radio station the next morning to pick up her prize, but was asked to return later when DJ Slick would be in the office. When she got home, though, the station manager had left a message explaining that she had won a 100 Grand candy bar, not money. Later, he offered her $5,000, Gill said.

"I said I wanted $95,000 more," she said. "Nobody would watch and listen for two hours for a candy bar.

"What hurts me is they were going to get me in front of my children, all dressed up, and hand me a candy bar, after all those promises I made to them. You just don't do that to people," she told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=874653

sharon25 said:
Woman Sues Over Getting Candy and Not Cash

LEXINGTON, Ky. Jun 23, 2005 — A woman who won a radio contest has sued after the station tried to award her a candy bar instead of cash.

Norreasha Gill filed a complaint Wednesday in Fayette District Court against Atlanta-based Cumulus Media Inc., which owns WLTO-102.5 FM in Lexington. Gill says the station and its parent company breached a contract to pay $100,000 after a contest prize was revealed to be a Nestle's 100 Grand.

Gill said in the suit that night host DJ Slick sponsored a contest to "win 100 grand." Gill, 28, won the contest by listening to the radio show throughout the night and being the 10th caller.

She went to the radio station the next morning to pick up her prize, but was asked to return later when DJ Slick would be in the office. When she got home, though, the station manager had left a message explaining that she had won a 100 Grand candy bar, not money. Later, he offered her $5,000, Gill said.

"I said I wanted $95,000 more," she said. "Nobody would watch and listen for two hours for a candy bar.

"What hurts me is they were going to get me in front of my children, all dressed up, and hand me a candy bar, after all those promises I made to them. You just don't do that to people," she told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=874653
Cruel and mis-leading but not,imo,law suit worthy. I gather the station is known for "wacky" contests.

Shes a single Mom to 3 with #4 on the way so I think shes desperate.She shouldve been thankful for the 5 grand offer!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back