Thread: NC - Two missing women: same area different dates, Charlotte, 1975

NC - Two missing women: same area different dates, Charlotte, 1975

Could these two cases be related? Both women are of similar descriptions and sizes, both were last seen near Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina. Each disappeared without a trace, Pricilla Blevins on 1 January 1975 and Denise Porch on 31 July 1975.

-------------------------------------------
    Pricilla A. Blevins
    Missing since January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: March 29, 1948
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
    The Doe Network: Case File 492DFNC

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Blevins was last seen on Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina on January 1, 1975.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department 704-353-1000
    NCIC Number: M-401092191

Source Information:
    Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/492dfnc.html

---------------------------------------------------
    Denise Porch
    Missing since July 31, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: March 25, 1954
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 145 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long blonde hair; blue eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Porch disappeared from her job as manager of the Yorktown Apartments at 254 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina on July 31, 1975. She was last seen showing a man around the Yorktown Apartments. There were no signs of a struggle in Porch`s apartment. The television was on, and she left her car and a pocketbook.
    She is believed to have been abducted at gunpoint or knife point during the day. Police mounted a widely publicized search for Porch. Eventually, the leads trailed off. On September 16, 1982, she was declared legally dead.
    Larry Gene Bell who was executed in 1996 for murdering two South Carolina girls remain a suspect in her disappearance. Although police have no evidence linking Bell to Porch, they find it noteworthy that Bell was living at 5009 Cherrycrest Ln., about 300 yards from the apartments, about the time she was abducted.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department 704-353-1000
    NCIC Number: M-003952302

Source Information:
    Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/708dfnc.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-02-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: updated doe network links

Richard, I believe these two cases are connected, since the two women looked very similar and disappeared within about 100 yards of each other. I haven't been able to find out any further details about Pricilla Blevins' disappearance; I looked at old copies of the Charlotte Observer and there wasn't even a mention of it...perhaps it wasn't reported or she was suspected of leaving on her own? There were daily newspaper updates on Porch, but none of them mentioned Blevins at the time. The only real suspect is the late Larry Gene Bell, executed in 1998 for killing to girls (one of whom looked very much like these two women). Some online info says he lived a few hundred yards away on Cherrycrest lane at the time, but the distance is actually about a mile. I've been to this old apartment building, and there is a pond right behind it, maybe 1 acre in size- I doubt it was ever searched, as Bell was not a suspect until years after the disappearances.
    I used to live two blocks from where these women vanished. There was an article in the Observer this summer marking the 30th anniversary of Porch's disappearance, which you can find easily by googling her name. It's possible,I that Bell did it- he abducted the two SC girls by just driving up and snatching them. However, he phoned the families of those girls several times, even telling them where he had left one or both of the bodies. A different M.O., but that could have changed. Porch's sister lives in Denton, NC and is still actively following the case. There's a detail about that in the Observer article I mentioned. Their mother passed away a few years ago.

Possible link to other disappearances?

Bumping this case up. Is it possible that there might be similar disappearances around that same time which might be linked to one or both of these?

Bumping thread up...

Due to recent interest in these cases, I am bumping it up. Several years ago, I started this thread in a topic area other than Cold Cases. Recently, a lot of cold missing cases were moved to this part of the forum and so this thread, as well as separate threads for both Denise Porch and Pricilla Blevins are together.

Third missing

Their was also a thrid woman missing out of Charlotte in 1984 name Sandee Elaine Cornett. The person is suspected of killing her and Denise Pourch and dumping them in the same place. He was arrested not long after Sandee went missing and was put to death in Electric Chair in South Carolina for killing 2 girls their. His name was Larry Gene Bell. Their may be a connection with Pricilla A. Blevins but I do not think their is for sure. He admitted at one time or another of killing Denise and Sandee. Their are a few article on Googles archives you can read about this.
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-...y/303188754080

That's too much of a coincidence for the two not to be related. It sounds like Pricilla was first, and after waiting a bit the person who did it got bold and returned to the scene of the crime to do it again with Denise.

The time gap between them and Sandee sounds like the person who did it was out of the area or in jail until 1984. Maybe the area where the first two went missing became more secure after the first two went missing, maybe the person forgot where they committed the crimes, who knows.

If the same person is responsible for all three it would make sense. If the person who did it was the guy who died in South Carolina was he in jail between 1975 and 1984? When were the two girls in South Carolina killed? Was it during that time period or after?
    Can you solve the mystery of El Dorado, AR. Jane Doe?

AKA Cheryl Ann Wick
    AKA Kelly Lee Karr
    AKA Sharon Wiley

Larry Bell killed 2 girls from SC ages 17 and ( he was also suspected of two more girls in Charlotte age 9 and one younger than that. He was a electrian from Davidson County and use to work at Charlotte airport. Their is a book written about him. I think it is called murder in the heartland.
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.

I have always thought that Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. might be a possible suspect in both Pricilla's and Denise's disappearances.

Coffey was discharged from the US Navy in Norfolk, VA in September 1974 after being convicted in civilian court of the abduction and rape of a 13 year old girl in Charlotte, NC where he then resided.

It is not known where Coffey was from then until at least 1 April 1975 when he appears in Maryland. He was employed by Vitro Laboratories in Aspen Hill, MD from April through July 1975 and is a suspect in some disappearances of young teen aged girls there. His exit from Maryland in late July coincided with a particularly brutal attack on a 14 year old girl who lived for 12 days before succombing to her injuries. Those cases have never been officially solved.

Coffey appears again in Virginia Beach, VA in October 1975 when he is arrested and charged with "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" with a 15 year old girl.

By late 1975, Coffey had joined the North Carolina National Guard.

In 1986, Coffey was convicted of molesting three children and in 1987 was convicted of the 1979 murder of 10 year old Amanda Ray. He was also suspected of murdering two other children.

Although most of Coffey's known victims were young children and young teens, his victims ages were spread out. It would not be unreasonable to consider him in cases with older victims - especially since the descriptions of these two women are close to other cases of younger victims.

Coffey currently resides in Pender Prison, North Carolina.

Larry Bell admitted to killing Sandee and Denise and dumping both of them in a well in Cherokee county. Here is some info on Bell

This article talks about Sandee and Denise

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...se+porch&hl=en

Larry Gene Bell was born in Ralph, Alabama and had three sisters and one brother.[1] The family reportedly moved around a lot, with Bell attending Eau Claire High School in Columbia, South Carolina from 1965 to 1967.[1] The Bell family moved to Mississippi, where Larry Gene Bell graduated high school and took training as an electrician.[1] He returned to Columbia, South Carolina, married and had one son.[1]

Bell joined the Marines in 1970, but was discharged the same year due to a knee injury suffered when he accidentally shot himself when cleaning a gun.[1] The following year, he worked as a prison guard at the Department of Corrections in Columbia for one month. Bell and his family moved to Rock Hill, South Carolina in 1972 and the couple divorced in 1976.[1]

[edit] VictimsBell kidnapped 17-year-old Sharon "Shari" Faye Smith at gunpoint from the end of her driveway on Platt Springs Road on May 31, 1985. Her car was found running, with the door open. Her body was later found in Saluda County, South Carolina. He then kidnapped ten-year-old Debra May Helmick near Old Percival Road in Richland County, South Carolina. Bell was also a suspect in the 1984 disappearance of Sandee Elaine Cornett from Charlotte, North Carolina. Cornett was a girlfriend of one of Bell's coworkers.

[edit] Arrest and TrialOn June 27, Bell was arrested. Throughout the largest manhunt in South Carolina history, Bell made eight telephone calls to the Smith family, often speaking with Shari's sister, Dawn. Bell eventually gave exact directions to the locations of both of the bodies and described to the family how he had killed Smith.[1][2] During his six-hour testimony at his trial, Bell continuously blurted out bizarre comments and carried on nonstop theatrics, rambling continuously and refusing to answer questions. He later made statements indicating that he may have been attempting to fake mental illness in order to receive a more lenient sentence.[1] He claimed to be Jesus Christ until his death.

[edit] ExecutionBell chose to die by the electric chair instead of lethal injection. Bell was the last prisoner in South Carolina executed by electrocution until James Neil Tucker was executed in 2004 for the double murders of Rosa Lee Dolly Oakley and Shannon Lynn Mello
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:

another article. I am working with Charlotte to get all of Sandee's info.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...se+porch&hl=en
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ett+well&hl=en

This article talks about how Bell showed someone the two bodies in a well in Cherokee County NC
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:

I am so glad to see these cases receiving attention here! As a 4th generation Charlottean and having grown up with these cases they are very much always in my mind. I pass by Yorktown apartments often and think of Denise Porch and the other women. My husband lived in those same apartments with his dad at the very same time Denise Porch went missing. I wonder if his dad might remember anything thing? I think I just might ask! My husband was too young at the time. I have always felt that Bell was responsible for her disappearance. Fred Coffey just doesn't fit. He was into children. It is a common consensus in Charlotte that it was likely Bell.

Bell kidnapped 17-year-old Sharon "Shari" Faye Smith at gunpoint from the end of her driveway on Platt Springs Road on May 31, 1985. Her car was found running, with the door open. Her body was later found in Saluda County, South Carolina. He then kidnapped ten-year-old Debra May Helmick near Old Percival Road in Richland County, South Carolina. Bell was also a suspect in the 1984 disappearance of Sandee Elaine Cornett from Charlotte, North Carolina. Cornett was a girlfriend of one of Bell's coworkers.

Source: Wikapedia
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

On June 27, Bell was arrested. Throughout the largest manhunt in South Carolina history, Bell made eight telephone calls to the Smith family, often speaking with Shari's sister, Dawn. Bell eventually gave exact directions to the locations of both of the bodies and described to the family how he had killed Smith.

During his six-hour testimony at his trial, Bell continuously blurted out bizarre comments and carried on nonstop theatrics, rambling continuously and refusing to answer questions. He later made statements indicating that he may have been attempting to fake mental illness in order to receive a more lenient sentence.He claimed to be Jesus Christ until his death.

Source: Wikapedia

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Bell chose to die by the electric chair instead of lethal injection. Bell was the last prisoner in South Carolina executed by electrocution until James Neil Tucker was executed in 2004 for the double murders of Rosa Lee Dolly Oakley and Shannon Lynn Mello

Source: Wkiapedia

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Larry Gene Bell's mugshot and information.

http://www.bphillips.net/drilc.htm

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Pricillia Blevins date has been updated to July 7, 1975. Denise also disappeared that same month. This makes it seem even more like it was related. Denise's disappearance generated a lot of press. I can't find any newspaper articles about Pricillia. Wonder Why????

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboy For This Useful Post:

November 2012 Update on Priscilla Blevins:

Her body was found in 1985 near Highway 40 in Haywood County, NC and it remained unidentified until this past month when DNA and Dental records confirmed the match.

After 37 years, her sister will be bringing her home to be buried with their parents, who have both passed away in the intervening years.

Sandee Elaine Cornett, age 26, Missing 18 November 1984 from Charlotte, NC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sandee Elaine Cornett, age 26, disappeared from her Charlotte, NC home on or shortly after 18 November 1984, when she was last seen by her fiance.

When she failed to answer his phone calls to her, the fiance called a neighbor who had a key to her house. The neighbor entered her house and found it in order, and without any sign of struggle or break in.

Missing from her house were a dictating (Phone answering) machine, an ATM card, and a dark blue jogging suit. Sandee was known to wear the jogging suit around the house.

Left behind and dumped on Sandee's bed were the contents of her brown purse (lying on the bed empty), her house keys, her checkbook, and driver's license. The television was still on.

Following Sandee's sudden disappearance, attempts to withdraw money from her ATM account were made, but LE was unable to trace the person or persons responsible.

Now 28 years later, Sandee is still missing.

The primary suspect in her disappearance is Larry Gene Bell. Miss Cornett had met him once at a birthday party held at her house for a friend. Bell, after being arrested and charged with two other murders in 1985, hinted to officials that he knew something about Sandee's disappearance, and that he could tell them where her body was, but attempts to locate her were unsuccessfull.

Source:

The Times-News - Google News Archive Search

LINK:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6713,4940277