GUILTY PA - Connie Murray, 46, found strangled in Philly park, 4 Aug 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
5PRBkaF.jpg

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...n-philly-park-police-say?linktype=hp_topstory

Homicide detectives say a 46-year-old woman found dead in a Philadelphia park had been strangled during an evening run.

Police say Constance Murray left her home in Northeast Philadelphia to go running at about 9 p.m. Monday.

Her husband searched for her when she failed to return home, police said. They say the husband and a daughter reported her missing about 2 a.m.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...lp-in-solving-pennypack-park-murder-of-woman/

“The medical examiner has just finished the autopsy and has ruled this a homicide,” said Capt. James Clark, head of the homicide unit. “The manner of death: strangulation”...

Capt. Clark says investigators do not yet have a motive. He said there was no evidence of sexual assault and there is no apparent connection to the unsolved “Fairmout Park Rapist” case.

Horrible story. RIP Connie.

I grew up near Pennypack Park in NE Philly. There's some pretty thick woods there. Not a place for anyone to be jogging alone at 9 PM. Of course, it's still a little light out this time of year and there are running trails, but.....many areas of the city are not all that safe anymore.

Looking more closely at the Philadelphia sunset times, at this time of year it's pretty much dark by 9 PM. If it were June, there would still be some light at that time.

New details:
They say around 9:00 p.m. Monday, she took her cellphone and headphones and went for a power walk.

Sources say shortly afterwards, Murray was approached by a car and she spoke briefly with the person inside.

Authorities say they've recovered DNA but will not say where or whom it came from.

Another baffling development is that investigators say it appears that Murray's cellphone, which has not been recovered, had been turned off.

http://6abc.com/news/police-woman-found-in-pennypack-park-was-strangled/241940/

On the video it shows the park. It is a big open area, most likely has lights at night. She was found on the edge in the woods. There are signs saying there are security cameras, but her friends say she knew they did not work. No signs of sexual assault, she was strangled so maybe touch DNA around her neck. She did not fight back, but again the woman had only one arm and had asthma. Reward now $20,000.

"He did not see much sign of a struggle," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark. "There was some minor bruising on her."

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ger-Death-Reward-270334241.html#ixzz39j0MPNJy
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook

Now reward is $21,000. More pictures of park, there have been concerts there. They have a video of the route she took, there are some working cams in the area. She also had scratches on her body according to the video report.

Horrible story. RIP Connie.

I grew up near Pennypack Park in NE Philly. There's some pretty thick woods there. Not a place for anyone to be jogging alone at 9 PM. Of course, it's still a little light out this time of year and there are running trails, but.....many areas of the city are not all that safe anymore.

But there are some really well lit areas too. I have to wonder if she was jogging around the park rather than in it.. There are a lot of homes and people close to the park too. I have to look at exactly where she lived but this is horrid.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...0x89c6b47ebc8ee1cf:0x5a0223b0a1b83203!6m1!1e1

this is where she was found.. Or near her.. It is a busy street Holme Ave. I have not found out if she had a usual route??

I grew up there, about a half-mile away. As a kid I played baseball at the park in the photo. Yes, Holme Ave is a busy street.

On a side note, it would be wonderful if our dear Filly was here to comment on this case. She just disappeared from WS ten months ago and hasn't been heard from since.

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members or others that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members or others cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

From last night's Jane Velez-Mitchell:

JACKSON: But we are now learning new clues. Our affiliate WPBI says that just moments after Connie left her house witnesses saw a strange car approach her and that she briefly spoke with the driver in that car? Could this mysterious driver be the key to this case?

I want to go straight out to my exclusive guest Michelle Shreffler. Michelle, thank you so much for joining us. I know you were friends with Connie -- extremely horrific story. You knew her from high school. Police say they don`t have a suspect or even a motive. You know, was Connie even Michelle, the type of person to have enemies?

MICHELLE SHREFFLER, FRIEND OF CONNIE MURRAY: Not at all. Connie is a beautiful woman with a heart of gold. I can`t think of one person that could say a bad word about her.

JACKSON: And as police put together this case Michelle, obviously they are going to be relying upon community involvement. I`m sure at some point you may be even questioned about this. Is there any indication of perhaps any issues she was having? Whether it be an issue internally with her family; whether it be an issue externally? Whether it be someone, you know, that she was speaking to you. Can you give us any information about who would do this to this beautiful woman?

SHREFFLER: No. We`re all clueless here. We have no idea, you know. It is news to us too about that car that she went up to and talked to. That could be the clue. We don`t know. Everybody knows her -- she`s beautiful -- wonderful.

JACKSON: And just no enemies or anything else. And with regard to the car, Michelle, I mean certainly I think that is important because that helps perhaps piece together who was in the car -- maybe a license plate number. Maybe some surveillance tape, maybe something else to sort of bring this to justice.

What is the general reaction amongst people who know her like you in terms of how this happened, where it happened, why it could happened? Do you have any theories Michelle?

SHREFFLER: No this is the most devastating thing. And everybody is still in shock. And we`re hoping somebody steps forward with a clue and calls the police at that tip number and says hey I think this might help. And hopefully we`ll get a lead somewhere. We want justice for Connie.

JACKSON: And Michelle -- of course. And Michelle I know she was an avid jogger, she ran. She had a few routes that she would go. Is this time of night the normal time that she would go for her runs?

SHREFFLER: I`m not even 100 percent sure on that. No, I`m hearing she goes out all different times. I just wish she wasn`t alone that night.

JACKSON: And Michelle could you take us through her state of mind the last time you spoke with her? How was she doing? Was she happy? Was she complaining about anything?

SHREFFLER: I`ll tell you the last time I had seen her because I moved to Virginia the exact day is February 23, 2014 at Dunkin` Donuts located at Frankfurt (inaudible) street and she went on and on about how happy she is with her life, with her husband, with her two beautiful girls and showed me pictures. And we talked about possibly getting together before the end of the summer to spend some time together and catch up again.

JACKSON: Michelle were you friends with her on even Facebook or social media? Are there any postings that you know she posted about where she showed her family or what was going in her life?

SHREFFLER: Everything was wonderful and happy. Nothing to make you wonder, no -- not at all.

JACKSON: And that is the problem, Michelle. And I think that is what`s baffling. This is a person not having any enemies or not having any reason for something like this to happen. We also know, Michelle, that there was somewhat of a disability. Apparently she had asthma and she was missing I guess a part of her right arm under the elbow.

SHREFFLER: Correct.

JACKSON: Do you think it was just she was an easy target?

SHREFFLER: That`s what I think. I think somebody just picked her out as an easy target and unfortunately -- wanted her phone possibly. Who knows?

JACKSON: Well you know what Michelle, we thank you for joining us. It`s certainly sad, it`s certainly baffling and I`m sure that, you know, friends and other people like you who know something and know who she was perhaps can piece this together with the police.

You know, I want to go through a timeline of Connie`s disappearance just to give you sense of what was what. She was last seen at 9:00 p.m. on Monday when she left her home for a daily jog. Her family said she frequently changed her jogging path. You know, there were three or four routes that she would normally take.

When Connie she didn`t come home about two or three hours later her husband and daughter went out to search for her -- obviously they became very concerned. And at about 2:00 a.m. early Tuesday morning her family filed a missing person`s report with the police. About four hours later a woman walking her dog stumbled upon Connie`s dead body in the brush on the edge of that park.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1408/07/ijvm.01.html

I too think it was her phone they wanted.

I too think it was her phone they wanted.
Agree, that appears to be the only motive at this time. Perhaps there was more than one perpetrator which would have made it even easier to subdue, and kill her.

My thoughts and prayers are with Connie's family.....her husband, and especially her children who have lost their mother.
:rose:

NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- The husband of a woman found dead in Pennypack Park has confessed to her murder, a police source tells Action News.

According to the source, 48-year-old Christopher Murray confessed late Saturday night to killing his wife, 46-year-old Connie Murray.

The source says Christopher told police he followed Connie to Pennypack Park last Monday night and confronted her.

They got into an argument.

According to the source, Christopher told police he "blacked out" and then strangled his wife.

http://6abc.com/news/source-husband-confesses-to-pennypack-park-murder/251007/

Get ready for the insanity/diminished-capacity defense. I'm sure his lawyers are already working on it this morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back