Rosalie Little Thunder - Lakota Activist - RIP My friend

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
nsn-littlethunder.jpg

I want to acknowledge the passing of a friend, a winyan [woman] who accomplished so much in her years on our Mother, Earth. Her name is Rosalie Little Thunder.

Rosalie was a driving force behind the Buffalo Field Campaign, as well as a guardian of the Lakota language and culture. Rosalie worked so hard for so many, always with grace, dignity and in a humble manner. I never heard her raise her voice or speak ill of anyone. Rosalie is descendant from one of the Mankato 38, she carried the Sacred Canupa Bundle 507 miles in winter and she was Pte Oyate. She was a professor who taught Lakota language, a mentor and a friend to so many. I have had many tearful conversations today with people from all over the country; we are all in shock that we have lost our sister. Just Googling her name will show you her many accomplishments but she is/was so much more than that. She was the epitome of Wolakota; she worked hard for the next generations and all to follow.

It is believed that when we walk over we meet an unci, a grandmother, who asks if we have helped the people, if we have fed the hungry and been kind to all. Knowing Rosalie, she has been having a good conversation with her but we know her answer to all questions is yes.

The world is a little less brighter today because a great winyan is no longer with us and we have many tears on her passing. Gratefully, she is at peace and her body is at rest. Mitakuye Oyasin.

For those in The Black Hills area, the arrangements are still being made and I will post them.

My name is Rosalie Little Thunder. I am a member of the Sicangu
Lakota Oyate; Burnt Thigh Band, of the Little Thunder Tiospaye and
the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. I reside in the Black Hills Treaty Territory in
Rapid City, South Dakota.

Throughout the buffalo culture tribes, there is a common
understanding that when the last wild buffalo perishes, so too will the
tribal cultures.

We must strive to be good ancestors.

http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/legal/bisonlawsuit/Declaration_Rosalie_Little_Thunder.pdf

Mitakuye Oyasin, Rosalie Little Thunder. You are remembered; you are respected; and you are thanked. Interconnectedness does not end with death; rather, it allows those of us still living, to have another connection to the next world, and to those who come behind us.

Jacie, I'm so sorry for your loss. You were blessed to know Rosalie, and I am positive that you carry her in your heart, making the world a little brighter by sharing her light with those you meet - and those who read.

Thank you, Rosalie. And thank you, Jacie.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

Best-
Herding cats

Thank you. A mutual friend was just saying to me that Rosalie's body was tired but her Spirit is so strong.

I don't know if I can accurately express the sadness in Indian Country tonight. I see her picture on FB pages with offerings of condolences and I can not believe it yet. Thursday night we will sing and drum her home.

Mitakuye Oyasin, Rosalie Little Thunder. You are remembered; you are respected; and you are thanked. Interconnectedness does not end with death; rather, it allows those of us still living, to have another connection to the next world, and to those who come behind us.

Jacie, I'm so sorry for your loss. You were blessed to know Rosalie, and I am positive that you carry her in your heart, making the world a little brighter by sharing her light with those you meet - and those who read.

Thank you, Rosalie. And thank you, Jacie.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

Best-
Herding cats

Please accept my condolences. Your words are inspirational and I hope that the special moon we have tonight will provide even fleeting comfort to you. Some beauty defies words.

Thank you. Rosalie was inspirational. She walked 507 miles in sub zero wind chills, from South Dakota to Yellowstone Park, carrying the Sacred Canupa Bundle to pray for the buffalo. A strong Warrior Woman.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VL...rrying sacred bundle in february 1999&f=false

Please accept my condolences. Your words are inspirational and I hope that the special moon we have tonight will provide even fleeting comfort to you. Some beauty defies words.

“Her legacy is our current history. She was taken to boarding schools, she survived and became a life long peace activist and teacher. She is a descendant of great Lakota Chiefs, and in her own right, was one of our foremost Peace Chiefs of modern times. She will be missed, but the campaigns she helped form are still going,” said Corey Sundog Mascio in a Facebook message to ICTMN.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ie-little-thunder-lakota-library-walks-156353

[video=youtube;EugA6-rv2BQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugA6-rv2BQ[/video]

RIP Rosalie and my condolences to you.

Jacie, what a privilege to have known this wonderful woman. I am so sorry for your loss. Her legacy will live on.

Thank you. I am blessed and honored to have been her friend. I can only hope to have done a small amount of the good she has done in her life.

We were food shopping at WalMart earlier today and a group of us just stood there talking, hugging and crying. Rosalie is held in very high regard and so many are affected by her passing. The all night viewing is Thursday in Rapid City, SD, Friday viewing in Parmalee, SD with burial in her family grounds on Rosebud Reservation. She will be with all of the other leaders in her family who walked before her. Her Spirit is still strong.

Jacie, what a privilege to have known this wonderful woman. I am so sorry for your loss. Her legacy will live on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back