Identified! OH - Montgomery Co., Male skeletal remains, Aug '14 - Franklin Connel

Unsolved

Reaction score
I checked with a Mod and this doesn't seem to have been posted yet. The authorities need help identifying skeletal remains found by children playing in woods off Home Ave. in Dayton, OH. There was a very unusually patterned(beaded) sweatshirt/hoodie found with the remains.

The report in the link below shows:

The Montgomery County Coroners Office has been trying to ID the remains for the past several weeks and are looking to the public for help. They indicate Male, 35-65, 5' 11", possibly in the park 2-5 years. Unique hoodie/sweatshirt with beaded artwork, also wearing dark work pants "Puntan" 34 x 32.

http://www.fox45now.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/wrgt_vid_21664.shtml

http://wdtn.com/2014/08/08/coroners-office-needs-help-identifying-human-remains/

https://www.facebook.com/missingpersonfromohio

If you recognize anything about the beadwork pattern on the hoodie, contact Montgomery County OH Coroners Office (937) 225-4156:

2elb9dc.jpg

I'm wondering if the pants name is actually Puritan, as I'm not finding "Puntan" anywhere online except in mentions of this case.

The jacket is fascinating. Does the beadwork pattern remind anyone of an abstract fish in a bowl/pond?

I'll bet you're right. I've seen that brand label before and I can even see how the "ri" in "Puritan" might have been mistaken for a single letter "n" if there was damage to the label.

Also, I can see the goldfish pattern you're describing. It would be helpful to know if there's a brand name on the hoodie and whether it appears the bead pattern was part of the original design or added later.

I'm wondering if the pants name is actually Puritan, as I'm not finding "Puntan" anywhere online except in mentions of this case.

The jacket is fascinating. Does the beadwork pattern remind anyone of an abstract fish in a bowl/pond?

It looks like a globe to me. Actually, the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it's probably a globe. The shapes of the continents aren't spot-on, but the red/orange looks similar to Africa, the purple next to it could be Europe or the Middle East, and the green looks like North America.

ETA: That yellowish color at the bottom of the red-orange African mainland could be Madagascar. It looks homemade so you can't expect the shapes of each landmass to be perfect. Hold on, I'll make a side-by-side of a world map and the beaded pattern

Sorry, I got heavily distracted and didn't finish the thing until now.

Anyways, I've enlarged the image of the bead pattern and put it alongside a map of the continents. The beaded continents are far from perfect (I'm very sure that it was homemade and done by an amateur), but you can definitely see the resemblance.

http://i.imgur.com/hbhTAfT.png
hbhTAfT.png

Africa: Red/orange patch. Lopsided and not too well-done, but you can see West Africa and the Horn (which is the more yellowish color towards the right).
Madagascar: The yellow patch underneath Africa.
North America: Green/yellow. Obviously not the whole continent, but the rightmost part of the US and part of Canada. You can see the “curve” of the East Coast.
Purple: Part of Europe or part of the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen). Looks more like the Middle East to me, but I don’t know if that was the artist’s intention.
South America isn’t there. Artist got bored or ran out of space/beads.

I agree. As soon as I saw it, I thought that is was a globe and that the orange part was Africa.

Gosh you guys are so awesome to realize that pattern looked like countries on the globe! I looked at that pattern over and over and had no ideas at all as to what it could be.

Did you also notice the size is marked 4 XL? They mention that seems large for someone wearing 34 waist pants.

Re the "Purtan" brand name on the pants. It probably is Puritan, as sold at Walmart, but talking about the globe I wanted to add that I did find this :

PURTAN TRADE SL in Badalona is a company that specializes in Men's And Boys' Clothing, Nec. Our records show it was established in Spain.

http://www.salespider.com/bw-4828494/purtan-trade-sl

(There is also a UK designer but very upscale)

There were several sellers (verified by item pics) on eBay that will call Puritan clothing "Puntan"

It sort of looks like it could be misread as Puntan, but already knew it was Puritan already. There were three sellers, all from in the continental USA, that used "Puntan." I just thought that it would be non-English-speaking people that would get that non-word from "Puritan."

Attachments

• puntan.JPG
    puntan.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 161
There were several sellers (verified by item pics) on eBay that will call Puritan clothing "Puntan"

It sort of looks like it could be misread as Puntan, but already knew it was Puritan already. There were three sellers, all from in the continental USA, that used "Puntan." I just thought that it would be non-English-speaking people that would get that non-word from "Puritan."

Even knowing that the tag says Puritan, I can't make out the r and i as separate letters. It looks like Puntan to me. Good eye.

So his weight was between 145-170 (M size)? If we cross the height with the waist size, that's the range I get. But he wore a much larger jacket (4XL). I am guessing the pants size is the one that is more accurate in determining his real size, since you can easily wear clothes which are bigger - pants are not comfortable to wear if they are smaller, especially considerably so.

I wonder if he wasn't a construction worker, or something in that field, judging by the work pants. Or a homeless person, that just wore whatever he could find, irrespective of size. Or maybe a hippie sort of fellow, judging by the bearding (if his age is on the older side, then he would have been a teen in the late 60's, early 70s). All three possibilities can also mean he moved around a lot, so he could be from another state as well.

I can make out ICAL. The rest blends together?

There looks like faded lettering or shapes on the bottom right too.

I have a friend that is an expert in photography. He is looking at this pic. I should know something tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm in the hospital with nothing better to do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend that is an expert in photography. He is looking at this pic. I should know something tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

He seems to think it is a Christmas shirt, and says the lettering says Carty. He found some hoodies and some sweat shirts with that on it. He also sees Santa boots?

I think the letting now looks like Carta. The way the part of the fabric is folded, it could be an A instead of a Y. I dont see the santa boots. CARTA made me think of what other ppl said about how the spheres look like maps of the world and how it looks like Africa is pictured there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back