CANADA Canada - Nick, 55, & Lisa Masee, 39, North Vancouver, 11 Aug 1994

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
42702493-d4ca-4ff0-a6ab-d88b74b1cbb9_zps21f27646.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1505081/n...for-20-years-rcmp-continue-to-look-for-clues/

On August 11, 1994, Nick and Lisa Masee were supposed to attend a meeting at a downtown Vancouver restaurant. But they never showed up.

At the time of their disappearance Nick Masee had recently retired as an investment banker with a major bank and was involved in stock promotion...

Nick is described as a Caucasian male, 170 cm (5’7) tall and would be 75 years old today. Lisa is an Asian female, also 170 cm (5’7) tall and would be 59 years old today.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/165462066.html?mobile=true

It was August 10, 1994. Nicholas and Lisa Masee had reservations at Trader Vick’s, a popular tiki lounge at Vancouver’s Bayshore Inn. They’d told a friend they were meeting with a potential business partner to discuss a $10-million deal.

At the time, Nicholas, 55, a former bank executive, was working for a company called Turbodyne Technologies and was also a stock promoter. Lisa, his second wife, worked in a hair salon.

A waiter later recalled seeing the North Vancouver couple at the restaurant that night, but his recollection was vague. The next morning, Lisa called both of their workplaces, saying they’d be “away for a few days.” Then, they vanished.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...uiet-banker-and-his-chic-wife/article4154929/

Mr. Masee Jr. said his father, who was 55 when he disappeared, and his stepmother, 39 years old at the time, led low-key, almost secluded lives and had no enemies.

Now, Mr. Masee Jr. said he believes the couple were murdered, most likely by a professional who deftly disposed of the bodies. He said the new business venture his father had begun prior to his disappearance may have played a role. Mr. Masee Sr. was director of a company developing engine parts to cut smoke emissions in cars...

Relatives who arrived at the Masees' two-storey North Vancouver home several days after they disappeared found the front door unlocked and Spider, the 17-year-old Persian cat, unfed. Mr. Masse Jr. said his father cherished Spider and would never have left him without food. "He wouldn't have done that," the son said in a telephone interview last week from Las Vegas, where he was on a business trip. "He loved that cat."

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1088dmbc.html

" Nicholas Gerard Jacques Masee
Missing since August 10, 1994 from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 12, 1939
Age at Time of Disappearance: 55 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 170 cm (5'7"); 73 kg (160 lbs)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Greying blonde hair; blue eyes. He speaks English and Dutch".

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1225dfbc.html

" Lisa Mo Masee
Missing since August 10, 1994 from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 11, 1955
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 168 cm (5'6"); 58 kg (130 lbs)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Asian female (Chinese). Black hair; brown eyes.
Other: Her maiden name is Mo Yin HO. She speaks English and Mandarin."

New today..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ears-after-mysterious-disappearance-1.2734860

"Kaban says months after the disappearance, he traced a bank account belonging to the Masees in the Cayman Islands, with more than $100,000 in it.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's alive and living a really good life with money in his pocket," said Kaban. "I hope they're enjoying themselves but I sure as hell would like to know where they are."

Kaban says he believes Masee was running from something and the day before the couple went missing, the former banker had attended a funeral and was distraught, saying he would leave town.

<<<<<Snip>>>>

"Police are appealing for anyone who has seen Nick and Lisa Masee to come forward. (Family photo)

North Vancouver RCMP Corp. Richard De Jong&#8203; is appealing to the public for help to track down the high-powered couple.

"Whether it's a conversation, something about them, maybe they talked to them in a small village somewhere, maybe on a beach, maybe just a conversation before they disappeared," said De Jong".

Huge updated article, seems like there has been some renewed interest in this case!
Includes video..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ack-on-the-mysterious-disappearance-1.2738150

"A renewed appeal for information on a 20-year-old missing persons mystery led CBC News to review an old report on the disappearance of North Vancouver businessman Nick Masee and his socialite wife, Lisa.

Here is the story CBC reported in 1995, a year after the Masees went missing.

Click on the video icon to watch."

<<<<<<<SNIP>>>

"But Pezim's favourite theory is that the Masees were in a witness protection program.

"I think he's alive and the police know where he his," Pezim said.
Howe Street, Cayman Island theories

One fact supporting the witness-in-hiding theory was that Masee had been scheduled to testify in a trial involving a former tennis partner who was accused of stealing $100,000. But police said Masee was only a minor witness.

Another possibility involved the Pineridge Capital Group scandal, in which millions of dollars went missing when the business collapsed in 1992. Nick Masee had been a personal banker for Harry Moll, who created the Pineridge group, and who later relocated to the Cayman Islands.

Private investigator Ozzie Kaban, who was hired by Nick Masee Jr. to find his father, said he was also looking beyond Vancouver's centre of investment on Howe Street, and into the local Dutch business community"

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES: Nick and Lisa Masee's disappearance
Posted Oct 30, 2014 6:00 am PDT
Last Updated Jun 11, 2015 at 2:10 pm PDT

http://www.news1130.com/2014/10/30/unsolved-mysteries-nick-and-lisa-masees-disappearance/

Maybe someone will have a heart and let the families know where these two can be located.
Of course it is possible that they have started a new life, although it would be hard to imagine they would want to hurt their families like that, unless they thought disappearing was in the best interests of everyone, imo.
from the link..

"A statement to News1130 from Nick Masee’s son, Nick Jr.:

From an overall standpoint, my family and I, as well as Lisa’s family are all pretty realistic here. Identifying that a crime was committed and bringing anyone potentially to justice is a distant second on the priority list. What all of us want first and foremost is to have closure, which may be a tip pointing to where remains could be found. The fact is both families continue to have to live with this painful tragedy."

Bump...

My mom was telling me about this case tonight. She worked with Nick Masee for Bank of Montreal when she was just starting out, as we're from the same area. She thinks they're either living in the Caymans, or it was a hit. But she only says that because of what people whispered back in the day when they disappeared. That they were in over their heads, they may have owed a lot of money to loansharks, despite Masee's knowledge about money, they were living well beyond their means.

Again, all speculation and my mom clarified that this was speculation that wondered about the North Shore in the 90s.

July 30 2019
Family offers $50K reward on 25th anniversary of couple's disappearance
The family of a North Vancouver couple whose disappearance has remained unsolved for more than two decades is offering a $50,000 for any information that helps investigators figure out what happened.

Nick Masee and his wife, Lisa Masee, disappeared in 1994.

Tuesday marked the 25th anniversary of the case, and Sgt. Peter DeVries said that police presume that the couple is dead and that they fell victim to "a crime of some sort."

Photos

Nick and Lisa Masee are seen in this undated image.

"Nick's children, Nick Masee Jr. and Tanya Van Ravenzwaaij-Masee had previously offered $25,000 for relevant tips.

"We've had lots of discussions and meeting over a long period with the North Vancouver RCMP. We're very confident that they've made every effort to investigate anything that was readily available, but it's become obvious that there is nothing they can immediately find," Nick Jr. said.

"So on behalf of the families that are affected by this, we're calling for anyone who might have information regarding the disappearance of our father and his wife, Lisa, to come forward with information to the RCMP."

It's been a few years since I first became aware of Nick and Lisa's disappearance, and discussed it with my mom. Something about this now, with a few years of thought, tells me they fled. Maybe they were in danger, and it was safer to leave without a trace or discussion.

If they were in fact murdered, I think their bodies were taken far away. Within the 25 years, if their bodies had been disposed of on the North Shore, as a resident I think it would be unlikely that they wouldn't have found something by now.

Regardless, I hope that peace can be brought to the children. How horrible and devastating. To lose someone is one thing, but to not have any closure? An endless nightmare.

I'm a Vancouver-based private investigator that has been retained by the Masee family to revisit this investigation. I have been working the case the past five months and have developed a couple of leads. Looking for any feedback you may wish to offer.

I'm a Vancouver-based private investigator that has been retained by the Masee family to revisit this investigation. I have been working the case the past five months and have developed a couple of leads. Looking for any feedback you may wish to offer.

Welcome to WS, Greg Tweed.

Bumping this thread for Nick, Lisa, and their families.

Bringing this post over from another thread:

Nick and Lisa Masee they disappeared August 14th 1994...this was from the CBC News:

"The night before they vanished, Nick and Lisa Masee turned down an invitation from friends to watch the Symphony of Fire fireworks display in Vancouver's English Bay.

Instead, the North Vancouver couple said they had an appointment to go to on that warm Wednesday evening. Nick Masee, a 55-year-old retired banker, had told several people he was to meet a man who wanted his help in investing $10 million.

Masee made a reservation for four at his favourite restaurant, Trader Vic's in Coal Harbour.

But no one from the party ever showed up, nor did anyone call to cancel — which restaurant staff felt was odd behaviour for Nick.

The couple were reportedly spotted together next door at the Westin Bayshore's Garden Lounge from roughly 6:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Nick Masee was wearing a jogging suit and the couple shared a bottle of wine.

The next morning, Aug. 11, 1994, his wife made two calls from his cellphone. She called her boss, and she called her husband's business partner to say they'd both be away for a few days.

The two calls were routed through Bowen Island's repeater, off West Vancouver, which means the call could have been made from the Sunshine Coast, but it also could have come from Point Grey on Vancouver's West Side.

No one has heard from either Nick or Lisa Masee since.

When Lisa Masee's sister tried to contact her a week later, she found the house unlocked and the car parked in the driveway.

Two plastic zip ties, or zap straps, were found on the ground by the front door.

Eta: thank you @dotr and others for the posts/information.

There is an excellent article by Terry Gould called "Bank Error". Was in Vancouver Magazine in Fall 1995. Describes an arms deal gone awry; alleges Nick Masee was the banker for the deal. The main player in the deal was Don Shwery, who passed away 9 August 1994 from a sudden heart attack/stroke, just two days before Masee and his wife disappeared.

Bringing this post over from another thread:

Eta: thank you @dotr and others for the posts/information.

I've been able to confirm that Nick and Lisa were indeed invited to the fireworks on Wednesday 10 August 1994 but they declined. There was also a reservation at Trader Vic's that night, which given was the same night as the fireworks, would have been a nightmare for traffic. Since they lived on the North Shore, they most likely would have crossed Lions Gate. The West End would have been cut off from traffic from about 6pm, as it was also the finale of the fireworks, and most likely the best attended. Apparently there were several phone calls leading up to the alleged reservation. The calls are key: the California investor calls Nick, from my understanding, the week prior (not the day of). Nick makes a reservation for two. The investor calls the day of and asks to bring the wives. Nick then calls Lisa at work and invites her. Nick then calls Trader Vic's and changes the reservation to four. This was Nick's favourite restaurant; they knew him there, and he typically ate at about 6-7. Nick then gets a call from the investor stating he was running late, so Nick calls Trader Vic's and reschedules for 830pm. They never show; there is no cancellation. The call record will confirm this, but unfortunately the police will not release this information.

If dinner was indeed at, let's say 630pm, then Lisa has to get from her hair salon on Main Street, up to the top of Delbrook. She often bussed home or often met Nick downtown. There was a bus transfer found for that day, suggesting she bussed home. Otherwise, she most likely would have bussed straight to Trader Vic's for the 630pm dinner.

That they were spotted next door at the Bayshore lounge is odd. Why be next door and not even go over to Trader Vic's? If the reservation is a red herring, then why be seen next door to where you made the reservation? My inquiries are suggesting that they were not at the Bayshore that night; that since they were there so frequently, that the witness has mixed up the night.

Welcome to WS Greg. Odd, indeed. Makes little sense that they fretted over the reservation to then ignore it and visit the neighboring Bayshore Lounge. Do we know of any witnesses to the couples behavior prior to the day they vanished? MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back