RIP Rick Namey - Rick Namey Guest/Letter to Trustee

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IF YOU MISSED THE LATEST INTERVIEW WITH RICK NAMEY YOU CAN FIND IT AT www.spreaker.com/triciag

Rick Namey is back as my guest tonight on iHeart's True Crime Radio. www.truecrimeradio.com

This thread is not for discussing whether you agree or disagree with Rick Namey but it's for more questions for tonight's show.

I still have all the questions from last week.

Please make your questions as short as possible. I can't read a question that is several paragraphs long. That's the nature of radio I'm afraid.

Also Rick has promised a new and shocking, "bombshell". A real one. Not the kind that Nancy Grace has 359 times a night on her show.

Remember all you need to do is tonight 8 PM Eastern go to www.truecrimeradio.com There you will find the link to the actual live show on iHeart along with our chat room.

Actually the chat room will open at 7:30 PM Eastern if you would like to get there a bit early tonight.

If you missed last week's show with Rick Namey go to http://www.spreaker.com/user/triciag for all past shows.

Tonight we are going to stick with the bankruptcy issue only.

Hope you'll join us 8 PM Eastern www.truecrimeradio.com

Thank you,
Tricia

Stephen L. Meininger 8/14/2014
707 North Franklin Street
Suite 850
Tampa, FL 33602
E-mail: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Meininger,

I am extremely disappointed with your recent handling of the issues in the Casey Anthony case which were brought to your attention at the recent meeting between you, myself, your attorney Alan Watkins and my attorney, Donald Schutz.

We provided your office, through Mr. Watkins, with a free copy of my book, “Casey’s Ghost,” which outlines my opinions regarding irregularities in Ms. Anthony’s petition which I believe could lead to charges of bankruptcy fraud. As I said at the meeting, you have subpoena power and I don’t. I find it hard to believe that you could not find merit in pursuing any of the many irregularities in that petition, particularly as those irregularities relate to Ms. Anthony’s intellectual property rights. I can promise you that if, as I believe will happen, Ms. Anthony is able to launch a multi-million dollar exploitation of those property rights, obtained under what I have opined may be fraudulent circumstances, without any kind of thorough investigation, I will not be the only one disappointed. I predict that there will be a hue and cry of outrage heard from one end of this country to the other, and beyond.

In my opinion, I find it incredible that it would not be considered fraud for a person who claims indigence – “living on the kindness of others,” to suddenly produce a tax free payment of $25,000 without any explanation regarding from where it came, with no record of tax owed on it, and no detail as to what property rights are comprised. Further, it has not escaped notice that the $25,000 tax free payment made to the court in the indigent debtor Ms. Anthony’s name, with no disclosure nor question as to is real source, miraculously turns out to be almost the exact amount that you and Mr. Watkins are billing for your services and upon which you plan to close out the case. That’s quite a coincidence. Were we dealing with average citizens, rather than privileged elite officers of the court, in my opinion, such a coincidence might appear to show collusion, particularly in light of an exhibited reluctance by the known parties to investigate and to disclose the identities and circumstances of the unknown parties who put up the money and their plans, if any, to profit from it, absent of any assurance that they will not.

To refresh your memory, the book, “Casey’s Ghost,” raises a number of questions that do deserve answers. These are:
1. You will note that the bankruptcy petition, filed 1/25/13 as stated on Page 11, under “Schedule of Personal Property – Continuation Sheet Type of Property Item 22 - Patents, copyrights, and other intellectual property.- Give particulars.” she has checked the
box marked “none.” However, on the previous page, under “2011 – 2012 Tax Refunds,” she has listed the value as “unknown,” which is the appropriate response where an item is believed to have a value and the value is not yet known. If, in fact, Casey’s
story has no value, why would she pay the trustee $25,000 in settlement for it? Further, if her total assets, as declared, on the bottom of page 11, were only $1084 of which, according to Page 9, item 1 was $474 in cash – then who paid the $25,000 and why has
that not been disclosed?

2. Casey Anthony represented to the bankruptcy court, in her filing, and to the public, through her attorney, and in the interview with CBS-5 in Phoenix, that she had no prospects of a book or movie deal. The preexisting contract with TitleTown publishing, reprinted in “Casey’s Ghost,” shows otherwise. While this contract was probably no longer valid on the date of the petition, due to my departure, it nonetheless shows that a value is attached to her story rights. In my opinion, the fact that the petition lists numerous other items of unknown value, makes this omission particularly ominous.

3. The TitleTown contract itself specifies that the first look will only be after “civil litigation cases are concluded.” In my opinion, when combined with Mason’s recorded statements, there is a clear, apparent intention to commit bankruptcy fraud:
Cheney: …she'll bankrupt these ****ers. She delays getting her money, she finishes her probation, she immediately files a *advertiser censored* bankruptcy and discharges whatever judgment the court does here.”

4. Further proof that her advisor, Cheney Mason, believed that Casey’s story not only had value, but major value, came right out of his mouth in this exchange, quoted in the book, “Casey’s Ghost.”
Notice the words “Multi-million dollar.”
Cheney: And I don't know what José is doing or not doing, whether he's... I know that Casey is not, Casey is not going to do anything until her probation is over or release on it and then she will probably start with a multi-million dollar interview.
In my opinion, the failure to disclose to the court that there had been discussions with various members of the media involving multi-million dollar story rights is sufficiently deceptive to constitute fraud. Certainly, it would appear to justify investigation.

5. In my opinion, the following is a major issue of the bankruptcy:
On Page 22 of Casey Anthony’s Bankruptcy Petition, there is an item that references an IRS debt incurred 11/01/2010 for 2008 Taxes, Interest and Penalties of $68,540. The
debt was incurred on 11/01/2010 for 2008 taxes? How did Casey make enough to owe $68,540 in taxes? The job at Universal, if she’d had one, paid just over minimum wage. There is no explanation elsewhere in the document as to how this debt was incurred, or why the date on the debt was 2010, even though the tax liability is for 2008. In “Casey’s Ghost” I explain that Cheney told me that José had arranged the sale of the photographic
rights to the ABC Networks for $200,000, which had caused the tax liability of $68,540. That would explain why it was for “2008 taxes. Interest and penalties.” According to ABC News, as quoted by Chris Ariens of TVNewser, “In August 2008 we licensed
exclusive rights to an extensive library of photos and home video for use by our broadcasts, platforms, affiliates and international partners. No use of the material was tied to any interview.” The article is dated March 18, 2010. Yet, the bankruptcy petition
claims the debt was not incurred until November 1 of that same year. The obvious question is why is there such a delay? One guess would be that 11/01/2010 is the date of an amended filing of Casey’s tax return for 2008. Another obvious question would be
that if ABC News had licensed the library of images from “The Anthony Family,” why are the taxes Casey’s sole liability? Where is there any reference to the $200,000 paid to license the images? Isn’t that a sale of intellectual property rights that should have been reflected accordingly in the petition? Isn’t the existence of such a rights payment proof that there is a value to intellectual property rights? Notice the acquisition by ABC is referred to as a license, rather than a purchase. This indicates that the images are still owned by the individual(s) granting the license, which is, according to ABC, “The Anthony Family.” Since Casey is paying all of the tax, doesn’t that imply that Casey is the owner? When I searched Getty Images, the huge image clearance house for “Casey Anthony,” it showed 1561 images available for “editorial use.” This means that they are only released for use by media outlets, such as newspapers, other publications, TV and online media. Such release specifically excludes commercial uses such as T-Shirts, merchandise, posters, films and anything else. The potential uses are endless. Getty says that such commercial uses require additional releases, which implies additional payments. Intellectual property experts tell me that such rights and payments include the subject, regardless of the creator or source of the image. In other words: ABC’s payment of $200,000 for some the rights to some of Casey’s (and Caylee’s) pictures and videos proves that there is a value to them. Why is that value not disclosed? Why are those rights not the property of the Bankruptcy?

6. Cheney Mason indicated numerous times on the recordings that he is owed $600,000. His intention has always been to recoup from the intellectual property rights. I believe he has now raised that claim to one million dollars.
Cheney: …all this concern about taxpayers spending this and spending that. I didn’t hear anybody talking about the fact that non lawyers are getting paid. I didn’t hear anything about the fact that the actual number of hours I’ve spent on this case value exceeds $600,000. No *advertiser censored* sympathy for me. And approximately the same amount for Dorothy Clay Simms. And Jose’. Although he got paid, you know, some total of about $60,000, three plus years ago. By the time he spent on it, even on his hourly rate as a younger lawyer, is easily over a million.
Isn’t there an obligation to disclose what Cheney Mason is “owed?” Isn’t there also an obligation to disclose that he plans to recoup this debt from the “worthless” intellectual property rights? Isn’t it difficult to extract $600,000 from a property that’s worth less than $25,000. Isn’t there an obligation by a conscientious trustee to investigate and determine the real value of these rights?

7. In a widely quoted story by Fox News, there were several comments by Eric Kampmann, famous as the publisher of O.J. Simpson’s book, “If I did it.”
Fox: One New York publisher said Monday that Anthony's story has the potential to be worth seven figures. "If she had the goods, and she was really going to spill the beans of what happened, particularly if she's not guilty, that's pretty big," said Eric Kampmann, the owner of Beaufort Books. Kampmann went on to admit that he had been in touch.
Fox: Kampmann, who said he has been in contact with a member of Anthony's legal team but has no deal in place…

As he said, Kampmann had been in touch with a member of Anthony’s legal team. That attorney was Cheney Mason. I was there and very much a part of at least some of those discussions, because Eric Kampmann was the primary advisor to TitleTown Publishing. Kampmann was represented to us, by Tracy Ertl of TitleTown, as part of her team – in charge of media and public relations for the book – and would be handling world rights and other media, such as motion picture rights. It appears that he is an expert, and a party to publishing agreements, representing that the asset that the trustee had sold for $25,000 is actually worth millions.

8. Finally, nowhere in the petition does it explain how Casey Anthony is being supported. If, as Cheney Mason has said in numerous interviews – but not in the petition – she is bartering her keep for work services, is that arrangement and its estimated value not required to be disclosed?
Author: …the whole country wants to know how Casey is supporting, or planning to support herself. Do you have any ideas?
Cheney: Well, Casey is not supporting herself. Casey is being sheltered and fed by charity, our friends.
Author: By friends of her cause.
Cheney: Yeah, in an extremely limited basis. She’s not shopping, she’s got no money. She’s being fed and has a place to sleep. And volunteer protection.

By separate cover, I am going to provide you with a 90 page packet that I received from a concerned party that outlines a number of additional circumstances including six figure payments from other media sources that, although unsubstantiated, are worthy of investigation, along with names of sources who could be subpoenaed. You should have them soon, if not, please allow me to be sure you get them.

Because I firmly believe in full public disclosure, I am copying this letter Assistant U.S. Trustee Cynthia A. Burnette, the U.S. Attorney’s office in Miami, and to a large number of media people and interest groups concerned with this case. I look forward to your reply in a prompt, timely and responsive manner. I am sending this first by email, with a hard copy to follow.

Sincerely,

Rick Namey

I am tuned in via the link provided here, but there's another program on....
OK- now I found it. Ignore.

Rick, thank for posting that letter, that answers a lot of questions that I had. It seems the Anthonys are immune to laws, as you remember I'm sure when Cindy perjured herself in court over the computer searches done by Casey, nothing was done about that either.
Have you approached any of your local media- Kathy Belich for example, with your story, or any of the numerous reporters who covered the case- and if you have, do you have any idea why they are all ignoring this story? I know I'm not alone in bringing your book to the attention of National TV programs, and Orlando media persons and have yet to find anyone interested. Is it the possible legal ramifications that are inhibiting them??
Thankyou again, for being willing to run the gauntlet here, it can't be easy and you have been very open to our questions.

Rick- even more troubling than the miraculous production of $25K for her life story rights,is the non-itemized bill for $500K that Baez claims he is owed.... it appeared conveniently just when she needed to have enough debt to claim bankruptcy. If you see in this document that she signed when she asked the State of Florida to take over all her expenses, there was at that point NO expectation of any further payment of ANY kind to Baez.
Now he says she owes him half a million?
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-07/55220170.pdf

Rick- even more troubling than the miraculous production of $25K for her life story rights,is the non-itemized bill for $500K that Baez claims he is owed.... it appeared conveniently just when she needed to have enough debt to claim (Chapter 7) bankruptcy. If you see in this document that she signed when she asked the State of Florida to take over all her expenses, there was at that point NO expectation of any further payment of ANY kind to Baez.
Now he says she owes him half a million?
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-07/55220170.pdf
re my red above:

Ch7 is the liquidation/all-debt-is-automatically-discharged BK. without JB's "unpaid" 500k invoice, her debt did not meet the Ch7 minimum threshold. which left Ch11, the pay-all-your-debtors while living on a court-mandated budget BK, as her only other option. because she considered actually paying her debts while living on a budget determined by the court to be distasteful, good ol' JB came up with a non-itemized 500k invoice to raise her debt to the threshold she desired

which, if someone in authority would investigate it, provides further evidence of BK fraud and the cherry on top is that JB is involved in it just as much as CA and CM are

:waiting:

The following are solely my opinions, not the opinions of Iheartradio, Websleuths, their staff or management or anyone else.

The original retainer contract between Mr. Baez and Ms. Anthony was for $5000 which was more than paid when Mr. Baez extracted $60, 000 from the ABC-TV photo deal, a deal which he had arranged. Although the petition shows a tax debt of slightly more than $68,000 from the sale of Casey's photo rights to ABC, nowhere does the agreement itself, nor the amount or conditions of the transaction appear in any form. It would seem to me that this would be an essential element in determining the value of Ms. Anthony's intellectual property Yet the trustee was able to determine that $25,000 was a fair and equitable price for all of Casey's intellectual property rights. My first question would be "What system was used to determine this value? Was it Ouija board or crystal ball?

The $500,000 debt to Jose' Baez, with no documentation, itemization, or historical narrative of any kind, conveniently puts Ms. Anthony above the threshold for full liquidation under Chapter 7. Without it, she might only be eligible for a Chapter 13, requiring reorganization and and a repayment plan.

Cheney Mason's $600,000 bill, which has of late been promoted to over $1,000,000, does not appear on the petition in any form. One might conclude, as I suspect, that this would be because Mr. Mason would be conflicted out of continuing to represent her, since it might be construed as a conflict to represent her and represent himself as her largest creditor simultaneously. IMHO, this would constitute playing both sides in an adversarial relationship. If, as Mr. Mason is quick to point out, there is such a debt and billing to back it up, it should appear as a debt on the petition. However, if the debt is forgiven, then there should be no further need to mention it.

We're on the same page. I said Chapter 13, you said 11. I believe it could have been either. I believe she would not qualify for a Chapter 7, without benefit of misstatements and omissions .

CM has stated that his work was pro bono so how could he ever claim he's owed money in bankruptcy court?
The fact that Jose Baez's bill went unchallenged is extrememly disturbing to me.

Maybe that's actually his custodial charges for hiding and caring for her since she got out of jail? :innocent:

I remember our very own esteemed on site lawyer saying some time back that if Baez hadn't been working with an indigent case, his work would have easily been billed at 500K for the amount of work (such as it was) and time on the case. I also wonder if there is a difference between an indigent case and pro-bono work. Mason clearly said a number of times he was working pro-bono, but we knew Baez hung on once FCA declared herself indigent for the publicity. I realize both mean no money, but I'm wondering if one allows some kind of a tax write-off, and the other doesn't. Baez went pretty heavily into debt with his real estate investments but I don't remember that he lost any of them - does anyone know?

I think the bankruptcy court folks were just plain lazy and taking the case on the facts without considering any of the actual details. FCA on paper was an individual who'd spent three years in jail, had been found not guilty (how hard was that to type!) and had no money. They didn't employ any critical logic to the next step which would be as soon as she was clear of the bankruptcy, she was look for the big payday she'd been waiting for - and use whatever means she had, including Mason to get it. Instead, just rubber stamped the whole thing like she was little Suzie from next door who'd maxed her credit cards or something.

Baez got paid through the Courts. That's what he accepted to get paid. Loved to point it out, too. It may be a write-off for him, but I don't think it's a bill of hers.

I found this from 2010 (see below). If I am reading this correctly (last page), it cites that @ $89,000 is to be paid to Jose by CA (could that be the projected fees to be paid by the State or money owed?)...and that no other funds are anticipated to be paid. I don't see any reference to owing $500,000 unless this was the bill provided to Casey prior to receiving indigency status?? However, how much did Baez get from the pics- $200,000? I thought most of that covered his legal fees, no? IMPO, she does not owe $500,000 and therefore she should NOT have included that in her bankruptcy filing.

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-07/55217822.pdf

I found this from 2010 (see below). If I am reading this correctly (last page), it cites that @ $89,000 is to be paid to Jose by CA (could that be the projected fees to be paid by the State or money owed?)...and that no other funds are anticipated to be paid. I don't see any reference to owing $500,000 unless this was the bill provided to Casey prior to receiving indigency status?? However, how much did Baez get from the pics- $200,000? I thought most of that covered his legal fees, no? IMPO, she does not owe $500,000 and therefore she should NOT have included that in her bankruptcy filing.

Yes, that's where they're all fraudulent, IMO. That $500K bill appeared when she needed to be in debt enough to claim bankruptcy...
miraculous, isn't it? Also, when she thought the court was going to take or sell the rights to her story, the bankrupt was
suddenly able to come up with $25K to buy those rights....
Baez had the $200K from the photos, $5K from a donor he didn't name, and $70K from Macaluso. We don't know what other money he has raised from post release photos, but I feel sure he didn't sell them cheaply.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/17/florida.casey.anthony.broke/

Even though in the motion for Indigent Status for Costs they stated to the court that Casey had received NO INCOME during the time she was in jail yet Casey (via Baez) was paid for selling photos/videos to ABC

Baez was paid $89,000 out of the $200,000 ABC money
Andrea Lyon was paid $22,500 out of the ABC money as well. (iirc she said the funds went to cover costs)
The money that was supposed to pay Lyon's legal fees was used to cover costs and Lyon was appearing pro bono

Even the JAC had severe concerns regarding declaring her indigent for costs

Baez, iirc, was being paid some small amount for representing her..(I seem to remember at one pre-trial hearing he made inappropriate comment in Judge Perry's court room about being paid Slave Wages and the Pot calling the Kettle Black....sheesh)

"Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, and Chicago death penalty attorney Andrea Lyon said in a four-page motion that they are not asking the state to pay their legal fees. They asked for assistance with fees for the service of subpoenas, investigations, travel, experts to interpret forensic evidence, expert witness fees and the cost of depositions."

Also,She did not list her debts or liabilities in the Application/Motion/Affidavit

I am wondering if this hole or grey area could be where the sudden appearance of the $500,000 bill from Baez comes in...they only asked that she be Indigent for COSTS and she didn't specify any debts or liabilities....

:moo:

Yes, that's where they're all fraudulent, IMO. That $500K bill appeared when she needed to be in debt enough to claim bankruptcy...
miraculous, isn't it? Also, when she thought the court was going to take or sell the rights to her story, the bankrupt was
suddenly able to come up with $25K to buy those rights....
Baez had the $200K from the photos, $5K from a donor he didn't name, and $70K from Macaluso. We don't know what other money he has raised from post release photos, but I feel sure he didn't sell them cheaply.

BBM
I agree.
She signed over rights of the photos taken, after she was released, to Baez and he made money off that (part of a payment agreement???)

Baez got paid through the Courts. That's what he accepted to get paid. Loved to point it out, too. It may be a write-off for him, but I don't think it's a bill of hers.
I remember how Baez said that he was getting paid slave wages, to an African American judge. :facepalm:

Even though in the motion for Indigent Status for Costs they stated to the court that Casey had received NO INCOME during the time she was in jail yet Casey (via Baez) was paid for selling photos/videos to ABC

Andrea Lyon was paid $22,500 out of the ABC money as well. (iirc she said the funds went to cover costs)
The money that was supposed to pay Lyon's legal fees was used to cover costs and Lyon was appearing pro bono

Baez, iirc, was being paid some small amount for representing her..(I seem to remember at one pre-trial hearing he made inappropriate comment in Judge Perry's court room about being paid Slave Wages and the Pot calling the Kettle Black....sheesh)

"Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, and Chicago death penalty attorney Andrea Lyon said in a four-page motion that they are not asking the state to pay their legal fees. They asked for assistance with fees for the service of subpoenas, investigations, travel, experts to interpret forensic evidence, expert witness fees and the cost of depositions."

Also,She did not list her debts or liabilities in the Application/Motion/Affidavit

I am wondering if this hole or grey area could be where the sudden appearance of the $500,000 bill from Baez comes in...they only asked that she be Indigent for COSTS and she didn't specify any debts or liabilities....

Has anyone seen this $500,000 bill? Is it a matter of public record?

Has anyone seen this $500,000 bill? Is it a matter of public record?
Not that I'm aware of. We stand a better chance at finding Bigfoot, the Lochness Monster, and Jimmy Hoffa all on the same day then we do of ever seeing an itemized bill from Baez for these 'fees'. :laughing:

I remembered that Casey and her defense team received more than $275,000 and I found the other amount
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/judge-grants-casey-anthonys-indigent-status/nFCnF/

Baez reluctantly revealed Thursday in court that he had gotten $200,000 through Casey's deal with ABC for Casey's photos and videos of Caylee, $5,000 from a donor he didn't disclose and another $70,000 through an unusual contribution from his former co-counsel Todd Macaluso.
Coincidentally or not, Lyon said her DePaul University Law Clinic had raised $70,000 in donations for Casey's defense.

$200,000 ABC money
$70,000 from defense attorney Todd Macaluso
$5000 from anonymous donation which turned out to be ???????? oh ya that woman AKA River Cruz
$70,000 from donations raised from Andrea Lyon's DePaul University Law Clinic

Total raised for Casey Anthony before she was declared indigent was $345,000

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff