1072 users online (219 members and 853 guests)  

Websleuths News

MT - Luke Sanburg, 13, Yellowstone Park, June 2005 - Missing Scout

Dozens of searchers Saturday looked for a 13-year-old Boy Scout who came here with his troop and fell into the fast-moving Yellowstone River.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../missing_scout
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Oh no....this sounds like it cannot have a good outcome. I hope they recover him soon
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins

This does not sound good. I'm read to make a call for Better Scout Supervision!

This should not be happening to Scouts. You ought to be able to go to Yellowstone Park without dying. Proper training and supervision are in order. This one is inexcusable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    This does not sound good. I'm read to make a call for Better Scout Supervision!

This should not be happening to Scouts. You ought to be able to go to Yellowstone Park without dying. Proper training and supervision are in order. This one is inexcusable IMO.
    The problem with Scouts is that they need volunteers so desparately that they will accept nearly anyone. My husband was a den leader while our son was in scouts. I was really surprised because they never asked any questions of us or ran a background check or anything. The kids are only as safe as the people they are with make them. And MANY of those people could care less about the kids; except maybe for their own. I was almost relieved when our son wanted to quit. One scoutmaster even told me that he took beer on his outing. It seems that we all look for healthy activities for our kids but the supervision just isn't always there. I think the best group I have found so far for kids is 4'H. Even then, we go along.

ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Prayers for this young man, his family, friends, and those searching.

with much love,

Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    The problem with Scouts is that they need volunteers so desparately that they will accept nearly anyone. My husband was a den leader while our son was in scouts. I was really surprised because they never asked any questions of us or ran a background check or anything. The kids are only as safe as the people they are with make them. And MANY of those people could care less about the kids; except maybe for their own. I was almost relieved when our son wanted to quit. One scoutmaster even told me that he took beer on his outing. It seems that we all look for healthy activities for our kids but the supervision just isn't always there. I think the best group I have found so far for kids is 4'H. Even then, we go along.
    I know what you mean. Sad to hear that the Scouts aren't more "professional". (adults I mean) I always accompanied my daughter on soccer tournaments even, and when my son went along I had to keep a close eye. One day a child was kidnapped and killed; I had to thank God it wasn't my son. I would never have trusted by daughter with some of the fathers along on the soccer tournaments either. They don't even think about if the girls are alone and vulnerable even walking to a restroom in a crowded place.

Men.

The National Park Service says the boy lost his balance while trying to throw a log into the fast-moving water.

He was at the park with six other Scouts and three adults.

So far, only one of the boy's tennis shoes has been found.

http://www.localnews8.com/home/1629332.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

search for a 13-year-old Boy Scout who fell into the fast-moving Yellowstone River was scaled back Monday as hope of finding him alive faded.

Tennis shoes believed to belong to Luke Sanburg were found in the river over the weekend, but the math whiz who loved to hunt and fish remained missing after he fell into the river Friday.

Yellowstone National Park officials said the focus of the scaled-back effort had shifted from rescue to body recovery.

"I think the family has come to that realization right now," incident commander Tim Reid said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050628/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Kids really need to be taught that the water has sOOO much more power than it often looks like it does. Never get right up to a raging river; this happens often. We go to Colorado alot, and this is always one of our first cautions. Usually the really raging rivers have railings to hold on to, so I can't quite imagine what happened.

Ususally it is smaller kids that fall in and get swept away - I'm surprised a 13-year old did. Someone did NOT teach him the rules of the wilderness. Sorry, but you have to plan ahead with kids; you after go over things with them. If you're trying to throw a big log, obviously your weight will be thrown forward too.

Geez, what are kids learning in schools these days, or from the Scout Leaders?