MT MT - Luke Sanburg, 13, Yellowstone Park, June 2005 - Missing Scout

Oh no....this sounds like it cannot have a good outcome. I hope they recover him soon :(

This does not sound good. I'm read to make a call for Better Scout Supervision!

This should not be happening to Scouts. You ought to be able to go to Yellowstone Park without dying. Proper training and supervision are in order. This one is inexcusable IMO.

Marthatex said:
This does not sound good. I'm read to make a call for Better Scout Supervision!

This should not be happening to Scouts. You ought to be able to go to Yellowstone Park without dying. Proper training and supervision are in order. This one is inexcusable IMO.
The problem with Scouts is that they need volunteers so desparately that they will accept nearly anyone. My husband was a den leader while our son was in scouts. I was really surprised because they never asked any questions of us or ran a background check or anything. The kids are only as safe as the people they are with make them. And MANY of those people could care less about the kids; except maybe for their own. I was almost relieved when our son wanted to quit. One scoutmaster even told me that he took beer on his outing. It seems that we all look for healthy activities for our kids but the supervision just isn't always there. I think the best group I have found so far for kids is 4'H. Even then, we go along.

Prayers for this young man, his family, friends, and those searching.
:(

with much love,

Ariel

Sheromom said:
The problem with Scouts is that they need volunteers so desparately that they will accept nearly anyone. My husband was a den leader while our son was in scouts. I was really surprised because they never asked any questions of us or ran a background check or anything. The kids are only as safe as the people they are with make them. And MANY of those people could care less about the kids; except maybe for their own. I was almost relieved when our son wanted to quit. One scoutmaster even told me that he took beer on his outing. It seems that we all look for healthy activities for our kids but the supervision just isn't always there. I think the best group I have found so far for kids is 4'H. Even then, we go along.

I know what you mean. Sad to hear that the Scouts aren't more "professional". (adults I mean) I always accompanied my daughter on soccer tournaments even, and when my son went along I had to keep a close eye. One day a child was kidnapped and killed; I had to thank God it wasn't my son. I would never have trusted by daughter with some of the fathers along on the soccer tournaments either. They don't even think about if the girls are alone and vulnerable even walking to a restroom in a crowded place.

Men. :rolleyes:

The National Park Service says the boy lost his balance while trying to throw a log into the fast-moving water.

He was at the park with six other Scouts and three adults.

So far, only one of the boy's tennis shoes has been found.

http://www.localnews8.com/home/1629332.html

search for a 13-year-old Boy Scout who fell into the fast-moving Yellowstone River was scaled back Monday as hope of finding him alive faded.

Tennis shoes believed to belong to Luke Sanburg were found in the river over the weekend, but the math whiz who loved to hunt and fish remained missing after he fell into the river Friday.

Yellowstone National Park officials said the focus of the scaled-back effort had shifted from rescue to body recovery.

"I think the family has come to that realization right now," incident commander Tim Reid said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050628...QJG2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Kids really need to be taught that the water has sOOO much more power than it often looks like it does. Never get right up to a raging river; this happens often. We go to Colorado alot, and this is always one of our first cautions. Usually the really raging rivers have railings to hold on to, so I can't quite imagine what happened.

Ususally it is smaller kids that fall in and get swept away - I'm surprised a 13-year old did. Someone did NOT teach him the rules of the wilderness. Sorry, but you have to plan ahead with kids; you after go over things with them. If you're trying to throw a big log, obviously your weight will be thrown forward too.

Geez, what are kids learning in schools these days, or from the Scout Leaders?

Luke Sanburg

Lost/Injured Missing from Yellowstone National Park near Gardiner in Park County, Montana since June 24, 2005

Age: 13 -- Height: 5'6" -- Weight: 110 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Hazel

Luke was last seen in Yellowstone National Park, 6 miles north of Gardiner, Montana on June 24, 2005. He was camping with 6 members of his Boy Scouts troop and 3 adults in the northern part of the park. He and some other boys were pushing logs into the Yellowstone River when Luke fell into the water and was swept into a stretch of rapids. His sneakers were later found 5 miles downstream, but Luke has never been recovered. He is presumed to have drowned.

NamUs

Charley Project

PHOTOS: Wyoming launches new missing persons database, listing 71 cases dating back to 1974

Missing Person, June 24, 2005, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Luke Sanburg, 13, was last seen on June 24, 2005 in the Yellowstone River. He is a white male with hazel eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing tan shorts with black and brown belt. Anyone with information on Luke is requested to contact Teton National Park at (307) 739-3301 or the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at (307) 777-7181.

Not specifically about Luke's story, but I totally agree about the dangers of scouting and needing more supervision. And this is only up until 2010

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back