Is anyone else getting redirected to an Updata Java page?

Odyssey

Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye
Reaction score
Just curious if it's me or something on the site. It only seems to happen when I click on the home page, not while I'm in a specific forum. The page will start to load, then I'll get a message (while still on this site) that I need to update Java to view this page - then it redirects me to another site with no name (just a series of numbers) and there is a link to download Java.

I haven't had this happen on any other site, and WS is working fine for me otherwise.

Yes, me too. I kinda worried about it being a virus, or something. Only happens on my laptop, not my phone or kindle.

Yes, me too. I kinda worried about it being a virus, or something. Only happens on my laptop, not my phone or kindle.

I am on my desktop. Haven't tried on any other devices, though. I was worried about a virus too, I ran my scan and it didn't find anything.

This happened to me last night while using my laptop. I Googled the problem and found instructions for resetting my browser. It worked and I stopped getting that message

happened to me when I logged on most recently - I ignored it....

I reset my browser and it seemed to stop for an hour or so, but now is doing it again. The only way I am able to prevent it is by clicking "Stop" on my browser as soon as the WS page loads, but before it has a chance to give me that message.

I got the same thing last night. I do not click on anything that is not expected. I close down my website and computer immediately because they are usually not good. My Norton Antivirus caught it and said it was a medium threat. I also use Malwarebytes Anti- Malware (free version) as additional protection.

This was obviously phony as several of us had it pop up. Some times when you try to click them off, they won't let you close down. In that case I shut off my computer directly and turn it back on and run scans immediately. I have found Norton to be a very good Antivirus.

Well, right after I posted my last post, guess what?..... The pop up we've been talking about popped up.

So, I shut off my computer. It would not let me x it out or get rid of it. Then ran both scans. Neither found anything threatening. I checked my Windows updates, that I thought were being automatically updated as I have them set for, but it was behind by several updates so I got them updated right away.

Maybe that left me vulnerable. Don't know.

I had it happen yesterday - seems to be ok today though.

I had it happen yesterday - seems to be ok today though.

I am being inundated with pop ups and that java page is one of them. It happens when I click on a page and before the page turns up there is some advert. The one's that really annoy me are the surveys..they are never ending.

Oh my word. The "Java" ad was removed after a bit by my Norton and then it popped back as I was shutting it (the ad) down, about 6 times ! Pulling my hair out.
I will try to google and reset my browser --- never tried that before so hoping I'll do it correctly !
AAAAaaackkk !

Hopefully this site has not been 'compromised' in any way.

My hubby's been working on this....he clicked on 'tools' and scrolled down and scrooled down to 'JavaScript console' and deleted everything in it. Nope.
Will keep trying and if something works for us, I'll post it.
Our pc is a desktop , Vista (older model), bought an upgraded graphics card a few years back (Nvidia), and we use Google Chrome ; with Norton as an antivirus. Thought about getting Malwarebytes --- but the Geek Squad at BestBuy said that will bring in more virus programs. :gaah:
BTW, no other site is doing this so far ; just WS. :(

Still nothing works... Norton identifies it and removes it---but am still having to exit WS main page and try again. One thing that works is to try to get onto the page/thread you'd like to view; then later go on that page via your 'history' tab under 'customize and control Google Chrome 'tab . That's alot of fun.

Maybe a mod could tell us how to block that annoying Java virus pop-up ??

I'll probably log off for a bit and try .
If that doesn't work, I'll take my computer into the "Dr." :D :) :happydance:

i know it's driving me up a wall. it only happens here and i can barely get in to read here. i've been trying about everything i know and nothing is working.

Me. It's happened several times; mostly, I just X out of the page and I'm good to go, but once I had to do a hard turn-off (control/alt/del).

It's weird...and it only happens on WS, that I've noticed.

Best-
Herding Cats

I run in Chrome and I haven't had this problem. I love !

i know it's driving me up a wall. it only happens here and i can barely get in to read here. i've been trying about everything i know and nothing is working.

I had to go back to my nook because it keeps coming up on my PC.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Yup, it happened to me in the early morning hours and now I'm getting an alert that WS is a phishing website.
I used to be on WS all the time posting, but not so much now as I've had many, many problems with the site.

Seems to be working now.....we'll see. :happydance:

Didn't try the since it received so many neg. reviews from google chrome users. :scared: Am really having too much fun with the emoticons.

So I ran a program called HijackThis and it pulled up a list of 'detected' files. It's not the greatest because it doesn't tell you what's what, it just identifies potentially suspicious files, then you have to google the filenames to try to figure out what they are.

Anyway, one file jumped out at me, it was freddy78.exe or something (not sure exactly what numbers were at the end of it). Anyway, I googled it and found that it's part of a virus called koobface. My antivirus wasn't picking it up, but I downloaded malwarebytes and it did find it (along with a few other related files), and hopefully I've gotten rid of it now.

I'm not sure if that's what was causing the java popup or maybe it was just a random virus I had.

But you might want to try searching your computer to see if you have a file that contains "freddy".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back