Nebraska Man Has Lost 573 Pounds in a Year

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
One year ago, Deuel weighed 1,072 pounds. He was so enormous that his bedroom wall had to be cut out to extract him from his home. Then, he was rushed to a South Dakota hospital in an ambulance with extra-wide doors and a ramp-and-winch system that had to be dispatched from Denver.

One man. More than a half-ton. Mind-boggling

Deuel says he was 3 months old when diagnosed as morbidly obese (some medical experts say there's no way to make that assessment so young.)

He clicks onto childhood photos on his computer and, in his high-pitched voice, narrates a life story measured in alarming numbers: The kindergartner in cap and gown, 90 pounds. The chubby-cheeked Boy Scout, 240 pounds. The thick-necked, 13-year-old, holding a whipped cream confirmation cake, 275 pounds.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/25/national/a093546D20.DTL

That's quite a story. What an amazing man actually. It astounds me the human spirit to live. You GO DEUEL! You'll make it all the way!

Thanks for posting this mysteriew.

ywelcome.gif

mysteriew said:
One year ago, Deuel weighed 1,072 pounds. He was so enormous that his bedroom wall had to be cut out to extract him from his home. Then, he was rushed to a South Dakota hospital in an ambulance with extra-wide doors and a ramp-and-winch system that had to be dispatched from Denver.

One man. More than a half-ton. Mind-boggling

Deuel says he was 3 months old when diagnosed as morbidly obese (some medical experts say there's no way to make that assessment so young.)

He clicks onto childhood photos on his computer and, in his high-pitched voice, narrates a life story measured in alarming numbers: The kindergartner in cap and gown, 90 pounds. The chubby-cheeked Boy Scout, 240 pounds. The thick-necked, 13-year-old, holding a whipped cream confirmation cake, 275 pounds.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/25/national/a093546D20.DTL

panniculus...Wow, I didnt know there was a name for all that flabby skin I have around my middle! :doh: I wish him lots of luck!!

mysteriew said:
...Deuel says he was 3 months old when diagnosed as morbidly obese...
I was put on a diet at three months of age. I weighed 25 pounds and basically had tripled my weight in three months. I saw some pictures of myself back then, and I basically looked like I was a little, blownup blob.

I am really impressed with this man. I know that his number one goal has to be his health. It looks like he is doing a fine job, so far.

He had gastric bypass surgery so he has no choice but to eat small amounts. That is what has lead to this incredible weight loss.

Also I am sure he is under a hospital supervision or doctors care. They would supervise his meals. He would not be allowed "extra" food.

I have a friend who's child drowned in their pool. The treatment after included steroids which caused huge weight gain and growth.

At 2 he wieghed 80+ lbs. it was kind of sad because just like any other 2 year old he wanted to be held. At 80lbs that was difficult for some.
Cutest little guy and always well behaved for me. Another problem was that due to his height and strength he could get into stuff that other 2 yo's could not.

Cyber are you saying that this had nothing do do with his actions? And was just due to the surgery and a restricted hospital diet?
I don't really agree. I believe he had a serious medical condition. Not just he ate to much. Something in his body wiring had to be wrong for him to gain that much weight.
Also I am guessing that along with a restrictive diet he had to eventually get up and get into some pyhsical therapy. That had to have taken work and willpower after so long of being inactive.

This may sound really stupid of me, but if something was wrong with his "wiring", I'd think something would still be wrong now. From what I just read they "shrunk" his stomach so he eats less. He could have eaten less before he had this surgery couldn't he?

Thank you Paper Doll for the "voice" of reason.

My ex- friend's three year old is in the top 95%. That is not a good thing. My ex friend just hears 95%. But in actuality it means that 95% of the children of her age and height are "THINNER" than her daughter.

Mom feds her huge plates of food(an adult portion, I could not even eat that much)and the daughter wolfs it down, followed by ice cream, freezes and kool aid. The little girl weighs 60lbs(without steriod use)has a round tummy, generous behind and a very round face. She wears a size 8-10 clothes. She is only a toddler.

The child is destined to a life of being overweight. All because a well educated Mother, high income, affluent family equates food with kindness and love.

PaperDoll said:
This may sound really stupid of me, but if something was wrong with his "wiring", I'd think something would still be wrong now. From what I just read they "shrunk" his stomach so he eats less. He could have eaten less before he had this surgery couldn't he?

NO paper doll he could not have eaten less since he probably wasn't full.
I am not saying it doesn't have something to do with an emotional illness.
Very likely he is recieving treatment for that and even if his wiring is still messed up with a stapled stomache he cannot eat more.

I am very saddend by the notion that some people think that every one is suppose to be thin. Those rail thin people on magazine covers are not the image of health and neither is the opposite.

From the link:

Deuel was a fast-food junkie hooked on pizza, chips, beef jerky and chili dogs. He also gobbled down cherry blintzes and ambrosia (a creamy fruit, marshmallow and coconut concoction). Even now, his face brightens when he mentions his favorite foods.

While I'm sure that he was one of those individuals whose bodies sometimes doesn't let them know when they're full, some personal resonsibility has to be taken.

Then, once he was stuck in his bedroom for seven years, SOMEONE else had to have been bringing in that crap for him.

MaryKate said:
NO paper doll he could not have eaten less since he probably wasn't full.
I am not saying it doesn't have something to do with an emotional illness.
Very likely he is recieving treatment for that and even if his wiring is still messed up with a stapled stomache he cannot eat more.

I am very saddend by the notion that some people think that every one is suppose to be thin. Those rail thin people on magazine covers are not the image of health and neither is the opposite.
What I'm saying is, how can someone let themselves get so out of hand with their weight (one way or another).. This guy was way out of control...If you step on the scale, or notice your clothes getting tight, and a whole host of other reasons, that should be a clue to cut back on food intake weather you are still hungry or not. Suffer it out, it won't hurt in the long run.. People don't want to diet because they don't want to give up their food intake. This guy was eating a lot of high calorie foods. If dieting was easy, we would have a healthier, slimmer nation. We wouldn't have diet how to books taking up space in the bookstores.

People who are rail thin look sick and unhealthy and can have health issues as well..

My sister is overweight and she didn't use to be. She blames her medication etc and yet, I've seen her pack away the high calorie foods. She eats fast foods all the time and her weight keeps going up. She keeps trying to diet and yet, everytime I see her she's still heavy.. Try to tell her how to lose weight and she gets mad.. Doesn't want to hear it and yet we have to hear about her trying to diet.. :snooty:

I just think that anyone who gets that heavy and has no self control to stop themselves must have mental health issues at the very least.

I mean noone would deliberately be that self destructive unless they are suffering some serious issues.

Food can be comfort. Some people eat more when they are stressed. Some eat more when they are depressed or lonely. Gosh, some even eat when they are happy and settled. It's knowning when to say enough is enough no matter how hard it is.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back