NY NY - Johnny Overstreet, 26, New York City, 2005

T-Rex

Reaction score
What do you all think of this story?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242005/news/regionalnews/48817.htm

The grocer (Johnny Overstreet) calls home at 11PM and says he's taking the subway home. He never makes it. The next day, the store door is unlocked, the safe is open, and $20K is missing from the safe and the ATM machine. There are drops of what look like blood. Cops say the man has a record that includes burglary. His wife of 8 months says if he needed money, it was there for him--they have more than that in the bank. Then the alarm company says they called and called when the alarm wasn't set by the usual time of 11:30. The grocer finally answered at 3:30AM, and said he was fixing a broken A/C. Cops hint at a secret life, and something that caused him to need a lot of money quickly.

That is a weird story! I feel bad for his family. They will have to continue to fight for his reputation and he may very well be somwhere else living it up. It is quite a mystery. The article did not mention anything about surv. video. Surely the store had some.

Typical NYPost--never heard anything about it again!

I cannot locate any other information about this missing person.

Anyone else want to try?

Here's another NY Post article dated June 24, 2005:

https://nypost.com/2005/06/24/grocer-mystery-vanishes-with-safe-wide-open/

According to the article (BBM):

Johnny Overstreet, 32, was the closing manager at the Associated Supermarket, 123 Ave. C at 8th Street, and was alone at the store late Sunday.

His wife said that she spoke to him around 11 p.m., when he told her he planned to take the subway home to their apartment in Marine Park, Brooklyn.

This confirms that he closed the supermarket on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 11 p.m.

Also, why was Johnny alone at the store? When I was a retail store supervisor, I wasn't allowed to be in the store by myself ever.

Stranger still, sources say the alarm company, noting that the alarm was not set by the usual time of 11:30 p.m., phoned the store several times until 3:30 a.m. Johnny answered and explained he was trying to fix an air-conditioning system that had been malfunctioning.

Is LE sure the alarm company actually spoke to Johnny, and not someone posing as him? According to his wife, Johnny had told her at 11 p.m. that he was going to take the subway home. Why would he say that if he was going to spend another four hours at the store? If it was an unforeseen emergency—like he noticed the malfunctioning a/c right after the call, and realized food would spoil overnight in the summer heat—then why didn't he call his wife back to say so?

Also, did he actually know how to fix a supermarket a/c? I doubt it's like fixing your a/c at home. And even if he did know, would he have had access? As a supervisor, I didn't have access to systems like ventilation, electricity, or plumbing. I wouldn't have known what to do if I opened one day and the lights didn't turn on. I assume I would've had to call my store manager. Plus, managers aren't expected to fix those things anyway. We're supposed to "open a ticket" with the third-party vendor that a store usually has for that type of maintenance. If Johnny's supermarket worked the same way (and Associated, here in NYC, is a chain supermarket), then maybe that wasn't him the alarm company spoke to.

I can see why LE says Johnny may have had a double life. But it's also possible that someone was waiting for him outside. When Johnny went to close the store, that person surprised him, pulled him into the store to get the money from the safe.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back