991 users online (191 members and 800 guests)  

Websleuths News

MA - Gerald Montrio, 15, & Robert Rasmussen, 13, Plymouth, 9 Sept 1957

Gerald Montrio

Endangered Missing from Plymouth, Massachusetts since September 9, 1957

Age: 15 -- Height: 6'0" -- Weight: 140 lbs -- Hair Color: Black -- Eye Color: Brown

Gerald appeared older than his age when he disappeared. He was born on the Caribbean island of Bermuda and speaks both English and Spanish.

*NO PHOTO AVAILABLE*
    Robert Rasmussen

Robert's nickname is Robbie.

Gerald Montrio and his best friend Robert "Robbie" Rasmussen disappeared from Plymouth, Massachusetts on September 9, 1957. Their clothing was later found on Flat Rock by Plymouth Harbor. An extensive search of that area turned up no sign of the boys, and they have never been heard from again.

Although the circumstances of their disappearance indicate that Gerald and Robbie drowned, the boys' sisters never believed this, and investigators did look into other theories. The sisters said the boys' home lives were troubled, and the thought the boys had run away and left their clothes on the beach to make people think they were dead. The women hope their brothers are still alive.

NamUs

Charley Project

For The Lost

Looking for Gerald MONTRIO, my brother
    Posted by: Raquel ()
    Date: April 23, 2012 01:47PM

Gerald is my brother. He was 15 years old when dissapeared without trace in Plymouth (Massachusetts). I was just13.

The story of his missing:
    [www.freerepublic.com]
    [www.milforddailynews.com]

Now, nearly 55 years later I've learnt to use the computer and I've decided to start my own search for him because it was too soon forgotten.
    I need to find him. I'm sure he's alive somewhere. Maybe he's got his own family, maybe he uses another name. I'm sure he didn't forget his sister Raquel who loved him and still loves him. Always. Perhaps Gerald reads I'm looking for him and he contacts me.

About Gerald MONTRIO, my brother:

Full name: Gerald MONTRIO
    Born: 18th February 1942 (St. George's - Bermuda)
    Disappeared: Monday, 9th September 1957
    Last seen: at home on Rocky Hill Road, Massachusetts, USA, by sister Raquel
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 140 lbs.
    Eyes: brown
    Hair: black

Anybody knows about him? Anyone can give me a trail? Do you recognize the boy in the picture?

Gerald if you read this message, please contact me. I'm Raquel, your sister. There's too many years without hearing from you, without any news from you. I've missed you so much all these years and I still miss you. Please contact me at: lookingforgeraldmontrio@hotmail.com

http://peoplelookingforpeople.com/read.php?3,1836

I hope he finds answers!

This is a bizarre case. It seems as if Gerald Montrio may have been following a path set by his father. There are a series of messages on http://boards.tiscali.ancestry.co.uk....wales.general relating to the father. If these are correct (and I see no reason to doubt the research done) Gerald's father, also Gerald was actually born Gerald McEllistrim Brooks in Wales on 21 December 1908 (the McEllistrim comes from his mothers maiden name) . He became a merchant seaman and emigrated to the USA in 1936. He applied for naturalisation as Gerald Montrio but, on the papers, declared that he arrived as Gerald McEllistrim Brooks. Whilst this does not shed any more light on the disappearance of the young Gerald it does make you wonder if he knew something of his fathers change of identity and thought 'if he can do it, so can I'. The father seems to have died in California in 1982.

It seems that several of the fathers uncles emigrated to the States around 1900 and that his maternal grandmother also emigrated (even earlier). Perhaps the name change was to avoid family already in the USA?
    Last edited by alb1on; 03-29-2016 at 01:05 PM.

I'm curious as to why there are no available photos of a 13-year-old boy. Yes, people took fewer photos in the '50s than today, but surely there must have been SOME photo that could be used...a school photo, even something from when he was younger, just so that people have a general idea as to his looks.

Raquel, not sure if you still visit this forum, but if you do, what precisely is meant by their home lives being "troubled"? Were the boys in actual danger or just unhappy?

If they did indeed head west, what sort of things or places might have attracted their attention? For instance, did they particularly enjoy some kind of work, have some kind of special hobbies or interests that they might have become part of, etc?

Here is a link to a young man who was found in Alabama in 1961 who may be a match for Robert. If any of Gerald's family reads this, could you pass this along to Robert's family to see if any of it fits?
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...March-61/page2
    If we can match this UID to Robert, perhaps it will shed some light on what may have happened to Gerald.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

The link did not work. Can you repost?

Quote Originally Posted by luxISlight View Post
    The link did not work. Can you repost?
    Here's the updated & operable link

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...hlight=UP13483

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed View Post

*NO PHOTO AVAILABLE*
    Robert Rasmussen

Robert's nickname is Robbie.

<snip>

Although the circumstances of their disappearance indicate that Gerald and Robbie drowned, the boys' sisters never believed this, and investigators did look into other theories.
    BBM.

Raquel, are you in contact with Robbie's sister? If so do you think she would also come here and let us have her memories and views on the matter?

From what has been posted I see you both believe your brothers weren't drowned, but in view of how long they have been missing have either of you given DNA for future identification purposes just in case?

charleyproject.org/cases/m/montrio_gerald.html

According to the Charley Project, the Plymouth Police Department is investigating this case. Maybe, someone living in Massachusetts could ask them to get DNA from both boys' families and a picture of Robert.
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread

This was posted in different thread of WS by new member, unfortunately no link was provided, but hey there is picture now.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Ka View Post
    This was posted in different thread of WS by new member, unfortunately no link was provided, but hey there is picture now.

Should someone email Lori Bruski Robert's picture? Maybe a NAMUS profile will be made for him now that he has a picture.
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread