Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geevee

Well-Known Stickie
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this tweet before:

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · Aug 14
Been asked about this a lot. Heard from the court that live tweeting will be allowed from #JodiArias re-trial. pic.twitter.com/gnIOSQSKU5
--

At least we'll have that, should the retrial ever get underway.

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio 47s

Judge Sherry Stephens granted the motion to continue #JodiArias trial. Jury selection begins on 9/29/2014. Next hearing is 9/4/2014 at 8:30.

Please continue your discussions about the upcoming retrial here.

According to court minutes 8/20/2014:

1. JA has several "civilian" witnesses she wants to interview/call.
2. JM asked for address of witnesses, JA said witnesses didn't want to disclose their addresses to the State, Stephens ruled they didn't have to.
3. Witnesses must be interviewed by JM prior to start of trial .
4. Expert witness doesn't anticipate writing a report.
5. JA asked that her PI be allowed access to the crime scene. Stephens allowed this.

Aren't there people living at the "crime scene"?

(Bringing over from the sidebar thread)

---
Arias' docket schedule has been updated:

9/2/2014 9:00 Status Conference
9/3/2014 9:00 Status Conference
9/4/2014 8:30 Complex / Capital Case
9/8/2014 8:30 Trial

(Not sure why the Trial date hasn't changed yet).

The High Profile List has the 9/4 pretrial conference, maybe the 2nd and 3rd will be closed?

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/MediaRelationsDepartment/highProfileList/index.asp
----

The mystery of the 2nd is solved by the Minute Entry mentioned above, JM will interview 'Defendant's expert' on 9/2 at 9:00 a.m., possibly the 3rd is also for interviewing, here's the link to the M.E.:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/082014/m6448306.pdf

16 court days allotted for retrial, 300 jurors to be selected from, beginning Sept. 29th at 8:30 a.m.

P.S. Thanks for the thread, LambChop!

Not sure why the investigator needs to get into the home when it is not the same and JA has already been proven guilty of pre-meditated murder. Shouldn't her focus be on the meditation? jmo

I am wondering the same, Lambchop. Does JSS even have the power to make you let someone into your privately-owned home? It's been 7 long years. What evidence could there possibly be?

Is the ninja still hiding in the closet? :happydance:

I think JA loves these delays as she gets to torment Travis's family that way.

According to court minutes 8/20/2014:

1. JA has several "civilian" witnesses she wants to interview/call.
2. JM asked for address of witnesses, JA said witnesses didn't want to disclose their addresses to the State, Stephens ruled they didn't have to.
3. Witnesses must be interviewed by JM prior to start of trial .
4. Expert witness doesn't anticipate writing a report.
5. JA asked that her PI be allowed access to the crime scene. Stephens allowed this.

Has this judge denied the criminal anything? What is this judge afraid of? Besides appeals? Imagine the media circus at this families home.

Not sure why the investigator needs to get into the home when it is not the same and JA has already been proven guilty of pre-meditated murder. Shouldn't her focus be on the meditation? jmo

My GUESS is that it may have something to do with the closet shelving which still may be there. Det. Flores spoke at the trial about weight-bearing specs., etc. which is why she may want his personal notes??? I also don't understand why this would be part of the resentencing/mitigation issue. But I also think that the court and especially JM would stop this dead in its tracks unless it wasn't related. This is really far fetched but maybe she hid something in some nook or cranny and wants to see if it's still here. Sure hope someone accompanies this investigator from the prosecution team so we don't have "evidence" planted!

I wonder if the new owners would have taken everything in the closet down, and the bathroom? remodeled everything.

I think my post on the expert who will evaluate Arias should be here instead of at p.28, Sidebar.

I don't think we should be bashing the judge for granting a delay that apparently was caused by the MCSO not getting with the program, especially since the minute entry released today says that the prosecution did not object to the delay. I suspect JM did not object because he doesn't want to create unnecessary appeal issues any more than the judge does.

ETA: This is not directed at anyone in particular, just the general feeling of the last sidebar thread.

Here is your post from page 28 of sidebar, Tuba (sorry, I am not sure how to actually move it but I agree that it belongs here).
----------------------------

Tuba

It would be helpful & maybe interesting to know where Nurmi and Willmott and those others under contract with the Office of Public Defense Services diverge. It's a puzzle because the 1st & 2d chair were together in seeking a mistrial when Patti Womack bowed out as witness for Arias. From the convict's own mouth we know there is a conflict that she won't accept. Willmott may not see this the same way.

These experts that a defendant or convict calls are always brought in to humanize the criminal through some sympathetic narrative and to put her conduct into context. Maybe this woman behind the green baize door will evaluate Arias and conclude she has a difficult personal history that led to her criminal acts. She could say that there is an emotional and mental condition that requires consideration in determining what to do with her. Any of that strays perilously close to the testimony of Alyce LaViolette, which failed to impress the first jury. An analysis of why the convicted killer did her criminal acts fails to meet the case when you are dealing with a crime of intent as we are here. She stealthily planned every little move in Travis's murder, was armed with a weapon she stole & another she took from his residence and waited for the moment when he was particularly vulnerable. In advance, she curried his trust with intimacy. No one, even she remembering, disputes her premeditation consummated in the most extreme cruelty and viciousness. All the whys and wherefores are sure to be seen as self-serving, because they are. Maybe she does and did have the capacity to abide by the law but she chose not to and it could not have been more deliberate. No victimization in her past or present, whatever the nature and degree, impelled her to commit this monstrous violence on another human life and travel a thousand miles to do it.

I am wondering the same, Lambchop. Does JSS even have the power to make you let someone into your privately-owned home? It's been 7 long years. What evidence could there possibly be?

Is the ninja still hiding in the closet? :happydance:

:laughing: Thanks TDoc for that!! Needed some laughter today, after the fiasco in court.

:tyou:

AZ, I understand what happened that necessitated the delay but I have issues with the judge ordering the PI have access to the crime scene. What could happen if the current homeowner says NO?

AZ, I understand what happened that necessitated the delay but I have issues with the judge ordering the PI have access to the crime scene. What could happen if the current homeowner says NO?

I assume you can get a warrant for this kind of situation, but it sounds like JM thinks they will cooperate. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of expert this is who is doing an "evaluation" of JA but also needs to see the crime scene. Should be interesting.

I wonder if the new owners would have taken everything in the closet down, and the bathroom? remodeled everything.

I would have gutted the closet, bathroom and bedroom knowing what happened in those spaces. Good grief, it has been SIX years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave