767 users online (175 members and 592 guests)  

Websleuths News

Teen writes about killing neighbor's pet dinosaur. Gets arrested

A 16 year-old boy who wrote about buying a gun and killing his neighbor's pet dinosour, has been arrested in Summerville, SC.

'Attorney David Aylor, who is representing 16-year-old Alex Stone, said his client's arrest over a creative writing assignment on Tuesday was "completely absurd." '

However, police say: ' "The information that is being reported is grossly incorrect in reference to what led to the juvenile being charged...The charges do not stem from anything involving a dinosaur or writing assignment, but the student's conduct." '

The boy says his class was asked to write an assignment in the form of a Facebook update, and he wrote: "I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business." His teacher informed police when she saw it, who then searched his locker at school. Police say the boy became very irate, which led to his arrest. No gun was found.

Alex Stone's mother is upset that no-one let her know there was any problem.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/26319685/...-on-assignment
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

The dinosaur was old and wouldn't have survived much longer, anyway. Maybe it was a mercy killing.

BTW, are the Stones related to the Flint-Stones?
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

This is the high school I graduated from.

I live less than 5 miles from it right now and my 3 boys have been enrolled in their wrestling program for 2 years. I have several friends that currently work there and will call them to get some scoop.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Why is the school requesting kids do assignments on facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    Why is the school requesting kids do assignments on facebook?
    Apparently, the assignment was to be written in the form of a FB update. But, I don't think 16-year-olds are generally permitted to have FB accounts(?). I know that many 16-y-o's (and younger) do have FB accounts, but it begs the question: is the school encouraging it's students to use FB, or will they claim to only be preparing students for SM life beyond high school?
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

IIRC Facebook terms and conditions allow for 13+.