967 users online (191 members and 776 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

There's no story on CNN yet...only the headline. Patient recently returned from West Africa.
    www.cnn.com

It's Mt Sinai in New York. Pt. presented with very high fever, severe GI distress. No other comment at this time.

Oh Good Lord in Heaven, if this is here this way...without the whole medevac and Emory Uni and CDC, it's time to really be scared...

Best-
    Herding Cats

ETA: From Fox, Neil Cavuto's financial show
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

CNN Breaking News@cnnbrk 6m
    Sick man who recently traveled to W. Africa is being tested for Ebola at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, hospital says. http://cnn.it/1pToJQj

The linked story is to the Emory Hospital story.

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    I wonder how long it takes to get results of the test back. Seems like it shouldn't take long, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    I wonder how long it takes to get results of the test back. Seems like it shouldn't take long, but what do I know?
    According to this story, they expect to get results back in a day or so.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health...html?hpt=hp_t1

Ruh roh..

Mt Sinai Hospital is a little too close for comfort.

I saw an earlier report that 300 health workers and members of the Peace Corps have been pulled from several African countries and are returning to the US. I am crossing my fingers because that seems very SCURRY.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...e_corps_v.html

Ebola forces 300 Peace Corps volunteers from 3 West African nations...

CHICAGO — Families in the United States expect to be reunited as early as this weekend with some of the more than 300 Peace Corps volunteers being evacuated from three West African nations affected by the worst recorded Ebola outbreak in history.

A Peace Corps spokeswoman said the organization is working to bring the volunteers home as quickly as possible. The group's medical officers are assessing volunteers before their departure as a precaution. The organization is advising them to monitor their health, including checking their temperature twice daily per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. The medical officers will check with returning volunteers and be on call if they experience symptoms or have concerns.

Two workers who have been exposed to the virus still were being monitored.

"The two Peace Corps volunteers who have had contact with an individual who later died of the virus are not symptomatic and are currently isolated and under observation," said spokeswoman Shira Kramer. "When they receive medical clearance for return to the U.S., we will work with them to travel safely back."
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I don't understand why they aren't quarantining all the people being returned BEFORE they come back to the US.
    I read The Hot Zone eons ago and it scared the bejeebus outta me.

There have been several cases in Africa where initial tests where negative, but subsequent tests came back positive. I hope they keep this person isolated until they are sure.

Spanish missionary: Ebola confirmed, wants to be flown home to Spain

A 75-year-old Spanish priest, Miguel Pajares, who is currently isolated in a medical clinic in Liberia is suffering from the Ebola virus, Spanish authorities confirmed on Tuesday.

http://www.thelocal.es/20140805/conf...-ebola-liberia

He is likely to be flown home to Spain after saying he feels he has been abandoned by his home country and 73,000 Spaniards signed an online petition to bring him back to Europe.

'Brother Pajares, belonging to the Madrid-based Juan Ciudad Foundation and the Hospital Order of San Juan de Dios, told Spanish news agency EFE by telephone that he felt “abandoned” in Liberia and wished to be flown back to Spain: “I’m frankly in a bad way. I can’t lift my head up”.

Adriana Castro, a spokeswoman for the Juan Ciudad Foundation told The Spain Report that Brother Pajares, who is very weak and has a strong fever, has asked to be flown to Spain for treatment and that they were waiting for a reply from Spain’s Foreign Office and Health Ministry.'

Some European airlines are cancelling all flights between Liberia and Spain.

http://www.thespainreport.com/10252/...ic-missionary/
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

I hope they have a very good quarantine unit, there is no treatment, it is incurable.
    This Ebola virus outbreak really is becoming the worst ever. ....
    It is too horrible to even think about, I feel very sorry for the victims, horrible!!........

It has just been announced that Spanish missionary Miguel Pajares, has died at the hospital in Madrid, Spain, to which he had been evacuated.

'The Health Ministry said he was being treated with the experimental drug ZMapp, manufactured by U.S. company Mapp Biopharmaceutical. Two U.S. aid workers infected by the disease have shown some signs of improvements since being given the drug.'

Rest in peace, brother Pajares.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GC0PQ20140812
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebel View Post
    It has just been announced that Spanish missionary Miguel Pajares, has died at the hospital in Madrid, Spain, to which he had been evacuated.

'The Health Ministry said he was being treated with the experimental drug ZMapp, manufactured by U.S. company Mapp Biopharmaceutical. Two U.S. aid workers infected by the disease have shown some signs of improvements since being given the drug.'

Rest in peace, brother Pajares.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GC0PQ20140812
    oh no!

thanks zwiebel for the sad update. for me, this is sadder than the death of robin williams...
    *** THIS POST IS JMO (unless a link is provided) AND IS ONLY FOR USE ON WEBSLEUTHS -- PLEASE DO NOT LINK OR COPY IT ELSEWHERE ***

Seems that ZMapp works, but selectively, or only early in the disease process. But, I am glad that Br. Parajes was able to be home to pass away.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

Quote Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
    Seems that ZMapp works, but selectively, or only early in the disease process. But, I am glad that Br. Parajes was able to be home to pass away.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    I think age makes a big difference. Priest was older than the two Americans.
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast