Ex-FBI Director Louis Freeh Airlifted to Medical Center after Car Crash

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Oh, no. This isn't good. :notgood: Sounds like it could have been preceded by a medical event.
"Initial investigation revealed that the operator was traveling south on Vermont Route 12 in his 2010 Grey GMC Yukon when he drove off the east side of the roadway, striking a mail box, a row of shrubs, and finally coming to rest on the side of a tree. Freeh was wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash. The cause of the crash is pending further investigation. No one else was injured as a result of the incident.
Read more ....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/25/louis-freeh-injured-car-crash/14597277/

How old is Freeh? It sounds indeed like a stroke/heart attack type thing.

Sending caring thoughts to him and his family.

ETA: i missed it- he is only 64. So young.

About his injuries:

Louis J. Freeh, the director of the F.B.I. from 1993 to 2001, was hospitalized on Monday after sustaining significant injuries in a one-car accident in Vermont, according to law enforcement officials.

Mr. Freeh, 64, broke at least one of his legs and required surgery, the officials said.
Read more .....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/us/louis-freeh-ex-fbi-director-injured-in-car-accident.html?_r=0

"....broke at least one of his legs" sounds like both legs could be broken but only one required surgery? Wishing Mr. Freeh a speedy recovery.

From above link:

"The Vermont State Police say there is no evidence that drugs or alcohol were a factor in former FBI director Louis Freeh's crashing his SUV in Barnard on Monday."

"Freeh, 64, of Wilmington, Del., was back in surgery Tuesday at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H., where he remains under armed guard, the authorities said. He received serious injuries in the wreck."

"There were no signs of skid marks or brake marks, investigators said."

From the same link:
Troopers have been unable to interview Freeh, but investigators hope to speak with him by the end of the week, said state police Lt. William Jenkins, station commander for the Royalton barracks. He said the section of road was relatively straight and flat.

Capt. Ray Keefe, state police commander for southeastern Vermont, said troopers are continuing to investigate the cause of the crash. Police said they will attempt to sort out whether Freeh fell asleep at the wheel, whether he was distracted, or whether there was a medical or mechanical issue.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/.../louis-freeh-accident-injury-update/14635013/

There seemed to be some degree of secrecy about the crash, too. There's a controversy about why a news release was delayed by 8 hrs. Also, I know LF has been involved in some very high-profile criminal cases, but he was apparently alone when his car ran off of the road .... so, why is he under armed guard now?

Of the possible causes of the crash listed above, there is no mention of foul play. But, could that be an angle under consideration? Run off the road? Since no skid marks, maybe his brakes were cut? It will be interesting what the investigation reveals. I hope he continues to heal and will soon be able to offer some clues himself.

Most recent info:

Barnard — Former FBI Director Louis Freeh is expected to recover from serious injuries sustained during a one-car accident on Route 12 in Barnard earlier this week, State Police Capt. Ray Keefe said on Tuesday.

As of Tuesday evening, Keefe said troopers had not yet been able to talk to Freeh about the accident, which was reported shortly after noon on Monday, because of his medical condition.

Based on the evidence at the scene, he said the characteristics of the accident are “consistent” with somebody who either fell asleep, got distracted or experienced a medical issue while driving. He said there were no brake marks on the road.
Read more ....

http://www.vnews.com/home/13292277-95/freeh-recovering-from-barnard-crash-injuries

My first thought was that this was caused by a medical event which might include heart attack, stroke, seizure, severe hypoglycemia or even narcolepsy. But, I find it suspicious that the crash was at first suppressed from the media, and that he is being heavily guarded at the hospital. It may be a purely precautionary measure since LE doesn't know whether this was truly an accident or whether Mr. Freeh was a victim of crime.

The initial suppression of info to the media and denial that LF was hospitalized could suggest that LE didn't want someone to know that LF was still alive. And, the appointment of guards at his hospital room -- although he was alone in the car (no body guards) -- suggests that someone may want LF dead.

Mr. Freeh really is fortunate to be alive. I hope LE is able to determine the cause of the crash, either ruling out foul play or identifying anyone who may have been involved and bringing them to justice.

Ex-FBI chief's condition remains mystery after crash

"The Vermont State Police initially said Freeh was seriously injured in the crash. The agency said Wednesday there is no indication Freeh's car was tampered with. The cause of the crash remains under investigation, but the police did say Tuesday there was no evidence that drugs or alcohol were a factor in the wreck."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/27/louis-freeh-injured-crash/14708779/

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/.../27/freeh-condition-remains-unknown/14705415/

A more updated article, but same info as the article Blondie posted.

The armed guards are explained:

The bureau put the armed protection in place due to Freeh's past work on terrorism while serving as FBI director from 1993 to 2001, the authorities said.

Plus, I thought this was interesting as well:

An unidentified FBI agent, believed to be off-duty, happened to be among the first people at the crash scene, police said.

from your link Indy:

"An unidentified FBI agent, believed to be off-duty, happened to be among the first people at the crash scene, police said."

Indy (or anyone!)......I find that just too odd and coincidental that an unidentified/off duty FBI agent just happened by the crash scene afterwards.....what do you think? What am I missing here? Or am I overthinking this strange coincidence lol?

from your link Indy:

"An unidentified FBI agent, believed to be off-duty, happened to be among the first people at the crash scene, police said."

Indy (or anyone!)......I find that just too odd and coincidental that an unidentified/off duty FBI agent just happened by the crash scene afterwards.....what do you think? What am I missing here? Or am I overthinking this strange coincidence lol?
I agree. Seems very coincidental. But, if he needs armed guards while in the hospital, it's very possible that there's a small entourage of agents who trail him at a distance. If so, I wonder if any of them witnessed any part of the crash.

Today, Freeh made a public statement. It was emailed and delivered by Sen. Leahy on Freeh's behalf. The entire statement appears in the last 5 paragraphs:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...is-freeh-thanks-rescuers-supporters/14810755/

He's still not speaking to media. I wonder if he is able to speak. One article I read the other day said he had cuts to the head. And this, from the link above, is a bit odd:

The statement primarily gave thanks to friends, the FBI and medical staff attending him. The comments contained no mention of the police, fire and rescue personnel who attended to Freeh following the one-vehicle crash shortly after noon Monday not far from his vacation home in Barnard.
BBM I wonder if he was unconscious and unaware of what transpired after the crash on Monday? I'm also wondering what type of surgery he had on Monday after he was airlifted to the hospital. Tuesday he had surgery on one of his legs. I don't think people are airlifted for a broken leg. Right?

Former FBI Director Louis Freeh nearly bled to death in car crash last summer 'after falling asleep at the wheel'

Officials spoke about the devastating single-vehicle crash in August for the first time last week

Current FBI Director James Comey and Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy say Freeh severed a major artery in the crash

Paramedics and an FBI agent at the scene were able to stop the bleeding - saving Freeh's life

Freeh was the director of the FBI from 1993 until 2003

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-details-Louis-Freeh-crash.html#ixzz3YSxcd99V

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back