88 year old woman attacked by racoon she mistook for her cat

zwiebel

Reaction score
'An 88-year-old Hamden (CT) woman who opened her sliding door to let in her cat was attacked when the animal she was petting turned out to be a raccoon.'

The lady hadn't realized the raccoon had followed her cat inside and as she bent down to stroke it, the creature attacked and bit her several times.

"She's a tough old bird," said the victim's son, Malcolm McKernan. "She fought it off and was able to call on the phone. That's pretty remarkable."

When police arrived, the raccoon attacked the officers too, and had to be killed. The lady is home from hospital and doing okay now.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...t-for-Cat-Police-272582681.html#ixzz3BUECwYTe

I am glad she is OK. I love that eyeglass commercial where the lady opens the sliding door and calls her kitty and the raccoon comes in. lol

I am glad she is alright too, I have to feel sorry for the poor raccoon, it is a wild animal...I mean it was a wild animal....and wild animals do not understand our way of life.
The elderly lady was obviously a very kind lady who loved animals, and luckily she was not badly injured....:cat:

If it attacked the officers too, I'd be wondering about rabies.
I hope they test it.

If it attacked the officers too, I'd be wondering about rabies.
I hope they test it.

Yes! I hope they tested it for Rabies!! I did not think about rabies! The raccoon bit the elderly lady a several times before attacking the Police officers.

Yes, I have always related to that commercial where the woman thinks it is her cat coming in. Without my glasses I am fairly blind. One dark evening I opened the sliding door and let my cat in. Next thing I knew, my cat was "playing with" a live mouse on my living room floor. Yikes! It must have been in her mouth when she came in.

The mouse ran and hid under the recliner. The cat crouched and maintained her watch. I went upstairs to bed, firmly shutting the bedroom door. The next morning I came down and there was the mouse, dead, laying at the middle of the living room floor. I guess kitty was proud of herself and wanted to show it off.

My mom was attacked by a house cat, one day while hanging out clothes. This was in the 60's. The cat had Rabies, and Mom had to take those painful shots. It's uncommon for a raccoon to come inside, especially following a cat? I hope they checked also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back