1094 users online (193 members and 901 guests)  

Websleuths News

MD - Middletown, WhtMale Skeletal UP2283, 55-80, on Appalachian Trail, Sep'78

This well dress gentleman was found on Sept 5, 1978. He is described as 5'11", 200 lbs, with grey/black hair. He was found apparently on the Applachian Trail, but with dress pants and shoes would not have been a hiker. He wore distinctive glasses and cigarettes were found near by. Dentals and DNA are available.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-26-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

I submitted Charles Ulrich as a potential match. Rule out by dentals was not conclusive as Mr Ulrich has an upper dental and UID has no upper teeth (post mortem).

Mr. Ulrich went missing Jan 29, 1975 from Uhrichsville, OH. He was 63 years old. At 5'10" and 155 lbs, he had grey hair. He wore glasses. DNA is needed for rule out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

western PA, USA
    Good find! Those look like the same eyeglass frames, right down to the metal accents on the corners, and Ulrich dressed as nicely as the UID:

OT, but that's good to see fugitive William Bradford Bishop, Jr. as a rule-out. He was younger than the UID, but he abandoned his car in Tennessee and was thought to have fled to the trail.

Fort Worth
    What about Edward P. Andrews? Any chance he and his wife disappeared intentionally?

No identifiers, so I don't know how they'd rule him out.

MD - Frederick County, WhtMale UP2283 55-80, Glasses with brown rim, Sep '78

NamUs UP Case 2283

Unidentified White male
    * Found September 5, 1978 in Middletown
    , MD

* Estimated Year of Death: 1978 to 1978

Vital Statistics
    * Estimated age: 55-80 years old
    * Approximate Height: 71' estimated
    * Distinguishing Characteristics:
    Gray with a little black, 1 1/2 inches long; Advanced degenerative arthritis; Osteoarthritis; Advanced periodontal disease and cavities (caries);

* Dentals:
    Dental information /
    charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry:
    1. Button down pale blue and gray shirt, short sleeved, neck size 16-16 1/2, has two front pockets
    2. Gray trousers, dress pants with two back pockets with buttons (dark material for the inside of the pockets)
    3. Blue nylon ski type jacket size L with knit ribbed fitted wrist sections and zipper and snap closures and pockets
    4. White handkerchief
    5. Black leather belt cinched at waist measuring 36 3/4 inches; 1. Dark Blue socks (dress socks)
    2. Black leather shoes size 12 with four sets of eyelets on each shoe; Timex Calendar gold color watch with silver colored band which had two gold colored links; Glasses with brown rim;
    1. Stainless steel butcher knife with wooden handle
    2. Comb
    3. Green trash bag
    4. Armour Vienna Sausage can
    5. Cigarettes
    6. Matches
    7. White towel

* DNA:
    Sample submitted - Tests complete

Case History:
    Subject was found in a wooded area. He may have been a smoker as a cigarette was found at the scene."

Vicinity where the body was found:

Seems like this UID was passing through or squatting in the area for a short time. He's not dressed for hiking or camping. No tent or backpack, either. There is a backcamping cabin nearby, part of the Appalachian Trail.

I have previously attempted to submit John William Spiers as a potential match for the UID. Weight, height, hair colour and other aspects are very similar, and both the decedent and the missing person wore glasses. The UID had osteoarthritis, and the MP walked with a noticeable limp. The MP, although missing from Chesterfield, was last seen in Stafford VA. This is closer to Maryland, suggesting that the MP was heading in the general direction.

MP - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25674/0/

However, the match was turned down due to the lack of DNA, dental records and fingerprints on the part of the MP. I am posting this in the vain hope that a close relative or friend will see this thread and respond. I am not conclusively sure that the MP and UID are the same person, but as far as I am concerned there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

As I was searching for a picture of John William Spiers, I noticed crimestoppers has his name spelled Spires. Hmmm....