MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
The fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager Saturday by a police officer in a St. Louis suburb came after a struggle for the officer’s gun, police officials said Sunday, in an explanation that met with outrage and skepticism in the largely African-American community.The killing of the youth, Michael Brown, 18, ignited protests on Saturday and Sunday in Ferguson, Mo., a working-class suburb of about 20,000 residents. Hundreds of people gathered at the scene of the shooting to question the police and to light candles for Mr. Brown, who was planning to begin college classes on Monday.
Mr. Brown’s stepfather, Louis Head, held a cardboard sign that said, “Ferguson police just executed my unarmed son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/us/police-say-mike-brown-was-killed-after-struggle-for-gun.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...own-St-Louis&p=10861113&posted=1#post10861113

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-teen-Michael-Brown-2&p=10867195#post10867195

Media Thread

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

Thread #11

:modstop:

A couple of things:

1) We are not going to allow links to blogs in this case without prior approval. And approvals will be tough to get.

2) Posts directed at other posters rather than the case will earn a TO without explanation. If you have a problem with another member, use the alert feature and scroll on by OR use the ignore feature and keep it to yourself

Please continue posting here. And please remember and follow the :tos:

Just wanted to restate that IMO the entire case centers around if MB stopped and surrendered prior to being shot and killed or if he decided to charge the officer prior to being shot and killed.

Thanks for the new thread, I didn't even see the warning....

Carrying over my reply from previous thread.

Right, but I find that bizarre. There are lots of rational explanations for the initial shot not being heard.

But just this morning I heard three huge stories on CNN and MSNBC, calling this tape the GAME CHANGER and the SMOKING GUN. Then suddenly Parks is questioning it's authenticity. I find that so surprising given the earlier reports that it was the straw that broke the camels back, and it would insure an indictment.

Yes it's weird, I wouldn't expect to hear that 1st shot if it did in fact happen within the car.

I wonder if he received any type of advanced notice of anything IDK :dunno:

And good segment on megyn Kelly with Furman. Who used the overhead projector analogy earlier? :lol: He basically described the same process with the audio, and OWs statement.

He also gave a pretty detailed description of how OW would have been question after the incident. The video replay usually goes up a couple of hours after it aired.

He dropped in the middle of the street too.
:???: Does anyone else think this is very significant?
He was running away, allegedly, scared of the big bad cop that had just grabbed him and tried to pull into the SUV.
He doesn't run towards a door for help???
Didn't duck behind the bush seen on his left in the crime scene photos???
No darting in the grass?
He stayed in the "MIDDLE OF THE STREET"! why?

All posts are MOO
Imoo he never got out of the street.

agreed, but I do think unless he can show there was a scuffle in the car, OW cannot justify shooting after him. He needs to show he thought Brown was a danger to the community.

He wasnt shot for jaywalking because he wasn't jaywalking, he was walking down the middle of the street. He wasn't shot for walking down the middle of the street either. He also wasn't shot for robbing the store. He was shot for getting into an altercation with Wilson.

Also, the scary thing here is that very specific details in the story coming from LE have changed. That is not building confidence in the local LE.

Oh and the parks interview was......interesting.

She basically calls him out b/c he was trying to make it a big negative that the GJ takes so long, b/c I guess in his mind they should be doing jury selection for a murder trial.

Hopefully that segment goes up as well.

That whole notion about the officer trying to pull him into the car just defies protocol IMO. What reason would a cop think " oh I want a 6 4 300 lb suspect in my car unhandcuffed" - forget the fact that common sense (just a visual would suffice !) would clearly indicate that it is just a alegbra/geometry problem!

Can C FIT into Y answer : Not on your life!!!

IMO that angle just lack a purpose!

This has nothing to do with what the results of this case should be, but if true, it goes to show there are some deep seated issues in Ferguson that have to be overcome when owners of businesses that not long ago were subject to looting and destruction are shouting at those who support someone who is there to protect and serve those businesses.

I have to say, this case has completely and finally rid me of the mistaken notion that CNN is in any way a reliable news source. Collectively, the media coverage of this case has been kind of a humbling, embarrassing thing for me to witness as an American. They go out of their way to excuse, ignore, any racist statements on the part of MB or his supporters. They go out of their way to emphasize that the looters are just bad apples, the ones that throw water bottles and molotov cocktails do not represent the views of the many peaceful protestors. Yet the Wilson protestors are out their in their T-shirts and some guy not in a T-shirt who may or may not have even been part of their group tells someone to speak English and they use it to imply that Wilson's supporters are racists - even as Wilson's supporter in the actual group shirt is trying to dissuade the crazy-looking dude rather than encourage him - that one guy apparently speaks for all of them. They have done this repeatedly within the two groups. It can't be an accident.

You can't have it both ways CNN. Either the bad apples speak for the whole group or they don't.

Just wanted to restate that IMO the entire case centers around if MB stopped and surrendered prior to being shot and killed or if he decided to charge the officer prior to being shot and killed.

Something to add to the "Why would MB punch-tussle-charge Ofc W?" file:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/u...ast-weeks-grappling-with-lifes-mysteries.html

"Still, some of Mr. Brown’s closest confidants were family members. Mr. Brown’s uncle Bernard Ewing remembers talking to his nephew about how to interact with police officers. “I let him know like, if the police ever get on you, I don’t care what you doing, give it up,” Mr. Ewing said. “Because if you do one wrong move, they’ll shoot you. They’ll kill you.”

That whole notion about the officer trying to pull him into the car just defies protocol IMO. What reason would a cop think oh I want a 6 4 300 lb suspect in my car unhandcuffed - forget the fact that common sense would clearly indicate that it is just a geometry problems

Let's not forget that according to Dorian, wilson was doing this one handed.

I don't know how to carry over posts from the previous threads but did want to comment on a couple of things and carry over a portion of the discussion.

First, Irish-Eyes, I thanked and wanted to thank you again for a post on the last page about what law officers go through and do.

Second, you had asked a question about what report, if I'm understanding the one you're asking about, it's here, on page 15, close to the last entry at 18:54:26 saying they still haven't found anyone that matches the description.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pa...rtment-incident-report-on-aug-9-robbery/1256/

Finally, katydid, you posed a good question to me about DW getting out of his vehicle and closing the distance. My point is, to determine justification IMO, the key factor is what MB was doing when he was 35 feet or whatever distance it was from the vehicle. DW may very well have closed the distance, and I suspect he did. But as I see it, what is important is what was MB doing while he closed that distance. Was he surrendering himself while DW closed the distance or was he charging while DW closed the distance.

I think the audio from the video that was taped ,if it is verified to be authentic, explains why MB bum rushed OW. His gun jammed or he stopped to put another magazine in.
That pause OW took is when MB tried to tackle him, IMO.
Hence the head shot.

I mention in a picture early on I saw something that I thought looked lie a gun near MB.
Now I wonder if it was a clip. It was about 2ft in front of MB 's head on the ground.
I cannot fine that picture now.
Moo

All posts are MOO

I agree and the audio today if valid now gives most the reality that everything surrounding this question is a 8 second event

carrying this over from previous thread to respond.

My point with the question is to highlight the fact that going for the gun, not going for the gun, slammed door or punch isn't as important as what happened 35 feet from the car. Some reports say he charged the cop. Some say he was surrendering in various forms. To me that is what will determine whether the shooting was justified. Just my opinion and I certainly don't expect others to agree with me. I do enjoy the civil discussion though. Frankly, I think the entire Ferguson community(citizens and LE) would stand to benefit from joining WS. lol

To me, what happened at the car and what took place outside the car are all one continuing event. Others are seeing them as two separate events which I think is sort of determining where folks are leaning as to justified or no. And yes, even though we are seeing things in a very different light from alternate perspectives, I appreciate the civil discussion about those view. You hit the nail on the head about some of the hotter more emotional citizens on either side benefiting from joining us here. :D

agreed, but I do think unless he can show there was a scuffle in the car, OW cannot justify shooting after him. He needs to show he thought Brown was a danger to the community.

Also, the scary thing here is that very specific details in the story coming from LE have changed. That is not building confidence in the local LE.

BBM: We definitely need a link for this one since very little specific details have been released from LE. That is why everyone is complaining. So what specific details are coming out.

Unless humm humm romeo had not started "romancing her" ! until that part of the event had already occurred!!

But it is signfigant that CNn reported about an hour ago that the guy does indeed in an apt very close to the scene - once that makes it print medai i am sure we can find a link or 458!

Thanks for the new thread, I didn't even see the warning....

Carrying over my reply from previous thread.

Yes it's weird, I wouldn't expect to hear that 1st shot if it did in fact happen within the car.

I wonder if he received any type of advanced notice of anything IDK :dunno:

And good segment on megyn Kelly with Furman. Who used the overhead projector analogy earlier? :lol: He basically described the same process with the audio, and OWs statement.

He also gave a pretty detailed description of how OW would have been question after the incident. The video replay usually goes up a couple of hours after it aired.

That whole notion about the officer trying to pull him into the car just defies protocol IMO. What reason would a cop think oh I want a 6 4 300 lb suspect in my car unhandcuffed - forget the fact that common sense would clearly indicate that it is just a geometry problems

Yeah, I don't think that will sit well with a grand jury, or eventual jury in any case. Even if you could suspend the laws of gravity and pull a 300 lb man in through your window and onto your lap, then what? He's between you and the steering wheel, so you're certainly not driving anywhere.

I think it's confirmation bias at work. Every witness seems to have seen the confrontation at the car. There is a tug of war going on between DW and MB. We've heard that the tug of war was DW trying to pull MB into the window, and we've heard that the tug of war was MB trying to go for DB's gun. There's no question the incident happened as every witness says it did, but I think confirmation bias played into some witnesses assuming something that made no sense over something that did.

I have to say, this case has completely and finally rid me of the mistaken notion that CNN is in any way a reliable news source. Collectively, the media coverage of this case has been kind of a humbling, embarrassing thing for me to witness as an American. They go out of their way to excuse, ignore, any racist statements on the part of MB or his supporters. They go out of their way to emphasize that the looters are just bad apples, the ones that throw water bottles and molotov cocktails do not represent the views of the many peaceful protestors. Yet the Wilson protestors are out their in their T-shirts and some guy not in a T-shirt who may or may not have even been part of their group tells someone to speak English and they use it to imply that Wilson's supporters are racists - even as Wilson's supporter in the actual group shirt is trying to dissuade the crazy-looking dude rather than encourage him - that one guy apparently speaks for all of them. They have done this repeatedly within the two groups. It can't be an accident.

You can't have it both ways CNN. Either the bad apples speak for the whole group or they don't.

Quite honestly, I can't stand watching it on CNN, FOX, MSNBC or any other national station. I have grudgingly watched some of it on the local stations or radio here. Most of the "news" I get is from reading, watching what y'all post here. That way if it appears to be mindless rhetoric, I simply skip it. If it seems important, I'll read/listen. All of the national stations in my very very very humble opinion are all about pushing their point of view, whether for DW or for MB. To me, that's not reporting. That's pandering to an audience and I guess that's fine. Just not my cup of tea. I wish we had simply a true "news" outlet that simply reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital