744 users online (84 members and 660 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278

    Professor Bans College Students From Saying ‘Bless You’ In Class

    Professor Bans College Students From Saying ‘Bless You’ In Class
    August 26, 2014 9:39 PM

    (CBS Atlanta) – One professor at the College of Coastal Georgia has banned students from saying “bless you” in his class.
    Campus Reform reports that Dr. Leon Gardner, assistant professor of chemistry at the College of Coastal Georgia, pointed out his six rules on behavior on his Introductory Physics class syllabus.
    According to the #6 under the “Behavioral Deduction” section of the syllabus, students’ grades will be lowered for: “Saying ‘bless you.’ We are taught that it is polite to say ‘bless you’ when someone sneezes. However, if you say this while I am talking, it is NOT polite, it is very rude!”

    Gardener states that a student may be deducted up to 15 percent of their final grade for any student that disrupts his class. He goes on to say in the syllabus that saying “bless you” may result in an immediate 1 percent grade deduction for each occurrence.

    http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/08/...-you-in-class/

    This is nuts. Saying Bless You is not a disruption.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,840
    It depends on how many students are in his class. If they all start saying bless you that becomes disruptive.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    It depends on how many students are in his class. If they all start saying bless you that becomes disruptive.
    Depends on how many kids sneeze at the same time. That's disruptive, and a perfect way to protest this policy. One kid sneezes and then another, like a wave.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,372
    This is ludicrous. A ONE PERCENT GRADE REDUCTION for being polite?

    He sounds like a megalomaniac.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    I think the 1% deduction is a bit much. A student's grade should reflect his/her mastery of the material.

    But I don't think ya'll realize how students today feel entitled to behave however they please and how difficult it is to corral their attention long enough to impart knowledge. I haven't been in a classroom for awhile, but we had to ban cell phones, water bottles, food, gum, talking to one's neighbors, trips to the bathroom (except during scheduled breaks) etc. and so forth. And that was a decade ago!

    I, too, have dealt with the "bless you" epidemic. Trust me, one student sneezes and you can get a veritable chorus of "bless yous" in response. It is VERY disruptive. Now, personally, I didn't feel a need to write about it in my syllabus; I simply said "That isn't necessary" in my "deadly serious" voice the first time it happened.

    Put another way, imagine that one student yawns and 17 students ask if she had trouble sleeping last night. Or a kid says "Ow" and everyone jumps up to ask "What's wrong?" Etc. and so forth. The rule of etiquette in a formal group are not the same as in a one-on-one conversation.

    ***

    The other story about the Tennessee high schooler who was banned for saying "bless you" because it is supposedly short for "God bless you" is just ridiculous.

    Especially since, IIRC, the expression "God bless you" originate with the Romans, who were NOT referring to the Judeo-Christian God when they said "bless you" to ward off the evil spirit that causes sneezes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,712
    That is ridiculous.




    HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    That is ridiculous.
    What is "ridiculous"?

    If you mean the 1% grade reduction, I tend to agree.

    But there is nothing "polite" about 17 kids saying "bless you" when I (or the instructor in question) is speaking to a large group. (For the sake of argument, I assume the actual sneeze was involuntary.)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    What is "ridiculous"?

    If you mean the 1% grade reduction, I tend to agree.

    But there is nothing "polite" about 17 kids saying "bless you" when I (or the instructor in question) is speaking to a large group. (For the sake of argument, I assume the actual sneeze was involuntary.)
    1% reduction for being polite. I do not think 17 students sneezing at the same time is likely. If that was the case, people would be sick.




    HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    1% reduction for being polite. I do not think 17 students sneezing at the same time is likely. If that was the case, people would be sick.
    I said nothing of 17 students "sneezing simultaneously". I spoke of 17 students saying "Bless you" in response to ONE sneeze.

    How is that polite, if they all sing out while I (or any other teacher) is in the middle of a sentence?

    If you imagine that one "Bless you" ends the matter, you are mistaken. In fact (and I am speaking from experience, not hypothesis), one "Bless you" invariably leads to another and another, etc. and so forth.

  10. #10
    looks like a lot of people will be dropping his course


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I said nothing of 17 students "sneezing simultaneously". I spoke of 17 students saying "Bless you" in response to ONE sneeze.

    How is that polite, if they all sing out while I (or any other teacher) is in the middle of a sentence?

    If you imagine that one "Bless you" ends the matter, you are mistaken. In fact (and I am speaking from experience, not hypothesis), one "Bless you" invariably leads to another and another, etc. and so forth.
    When I say sneezing 17 times simultaneously, I meant close to each other. I do not see how it is impolite, when someone says that.




    HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,649
    I live where this college is; one son has taken a class, and many of my friends are professors there.

    DH is a veteran HS teacher, as well as a college professor ( at 2 other local colleges). He says "Bless You" when a student sneezes, and so does the rest of the faculty I know. Someone should have made the non local professor aware of local traditions, customs, and manners when he submitted his syllabus for review.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I said nothing of 17 students "sneezing simultaneously". I spoke of 17 students saying "Bless you" in response to ONE sneeze.

    How is that polite, if they all sing out while I (or any other teacher) is in the middle of a sentence?

    If you imagine that one "Bless you" ends the matter, you are mistaken. In fact (and I am speaking from experience, not hypothesis), one "Bless you" invariably leads to another and another, etc. and so forth.
    So what? It's over in 5 seconds. His admonishment will take longer and be more disruptive. And disruptive to who? The students? I don't think so. You're never disrupted doing your job, if you have one? No one is allowed to disrupt anyone at any time for any reason? Or just teachers with over inflated egos? Someone says "bless you" and I doubt the rest of the class even notices (and I am speaking from experience, not hypothesis) .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    When I say sneezing 17 times simultaneously, I meant close to each other. I do not see how it is impolite, when someone says that.
    Neither would most sensible people.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,939
    How in the world does he maintain his balance, while walking about with that giant head on his shoulders?

    A pox on him.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Professor breast feeds in class.
    By legalmania in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. UTSA Professor Fantasized Over Students
    By Taximom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM