1090 users online (210 members and 880 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Bryan Bell, 36, La Mesa, 27 Aug 2014

California Highway Patrol officers are investigating the disappearance of a La Mesa man, who left his car running on the Coronado Bridge early Wednesday.

Authorities are not sure if 36-year-old Bryan Bell jumped or hitched a ride. Investigators said Bell had been followed by a driver from the East County after being involved in a hit and run accident . The driver called 911 and eventually contacted CHP officers at the bridge toll booth.

Investigators were looking over his late 90s white Pontiac Montana minivan for possible clues. They said he had been drinking and left his home after an argument with a girlfriend.

“They did a water search in the dark,” said Cari McLaughlin, Bell’s older sister. “It was dark just after 3 a.m. They said they would come back at first light, but I don’t know if they ever did.”

Bryan Bell is 5-feet, 8-inches tall, weighs 165 pounds and has a thin build. He has hazel eyes and is bald, but usually wears a hat.

Snipped: http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/08/28/l...ronado-bridge/

Wow. I grew up in San Diego. He got followed quite a way after the hit and run, from East County to the bridge. That's at least a couple of freeway changes, etc. I'd like to know where exactly he stopped his car on the bridge. It's NOT a walking bridge. If he was close to the end, he maybe could have gotten to Coronado and be hiding. I'm afraid that he may have panicked and jumped, though.

wow, i thought the same thing - that is a long way to be followed. Hope this man is simply hiding and turns up safe soon.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

Yes! That is quite the drive from La Mesa to Coronado.. even at that time of the morning. Did he know someone over there? It sounds to me like it was his destination.

We need to know if he had a cell phone and what the status of it is. I've seen talk of it on FB, but nothing concrete.
    "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
    ~ Maya Angelou

I'm wondering if he took the Coronado bridge because it's a toll bridge and he figured that the car would stop following him / give up because of a toll entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychedelia View Post
    I'm wondering if he took the Coronado bridge because it's a toll bridge and he figured that the car would stop following him / give up because of a toll entrance?
    It's not actually a toll bridge, nor has it been for decades now.

The old toll plaza is still there, but it's just the remains of it as you transition off the bridge and onto Coronado Island itself.

There are sometimes cops that are sort of behind the toll plaza, but rarely visible and more only known to be there if you frequent the area.

And they're definitely not there consistently.

There are dozens of calls many days of vehicles stopped on the CBB and the amount of time it takes to get someone to respond from Coronado or the San Diego side (sometimes it being SDPD and sometimes CHP) is actually surprising. In fact, if someone is out of their car and they are getting RPs about it and it's unclear if it's a mechanical issue w/ a car or a possible jumper, they'll summon ABLE (SDPD's helicopter) if possible, to flyover because they can get there faster.

All that to say that even with Coronado PD sometimes stationed there at the base of the bridge it's definitely not frequently enough to even assist w/ responding to issues on the bridge faster than it is to get agencies from the SD side to respond, despite Coronado being a very small 'island' (for non-locals, it's not actually an island)

Unless he went there often (and at many hours of day and night) I'd be surprised if he anticipated the possibility of officers being there - particularly because even many who frequent it don't notice them when crossing into Coronado b/c they're typically very obscured.

And few are paying that much attention when leaving to look over at the former toll area (as it's only on the inbound into Coronado side) and the way it's set up you'd have to actually make a concerted effort to look at a sort of odd angle and even notice that sometimes they've got officers there.

Ah, thanks for letting me know that it's no longer a toll bridge! I haven't lived there in 24 years.

I hope he managed to make it to land, maybe without anyone seeing. Nothing is so bad that it can't get straightened out, Bryan, if you're reading this.

From the FB page for Bryan wrote by his parents:

As we landed in San Diego tonight our daughters, Cari McLaughlin and Jenn Holguin met us at the airport to take us home. They brought us news that Bryan had been found. His body had been recovered in the bay on Monday, September 1. Today, while we were in flight, our daughter received a call at 4:30 pm from the San Diego Medical Examiner. We were informed that they had confirmed that the body was that of our son, Bryan.

RIP, Bryan.

http://www.rollernews.com/brian-bell...ace_85924.html
    Bryan is no longer missing. Can this thread be moved?