Largest wasp's nest ever on bed in "spare" room

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
I once lived in a house that had a severe wasp problem. Outside. The damn things would construct these round, hanging paper-like wasp's nests, and sometimes they got absolutely huge. In addition, another type of wasp would construct what I called "finger type" wasp nests, along the side of the house up near the overhanging roof line.

I had never before nor have I since ever lived in a house that had wasps like that. Don't quite know what the problem was or why the wasps loved that location so.

BUT at least I never had anything like THIS!

http://www.newser.com/story/193171/man-finds-giant-wasps-nest-in-bed.html

Yikes!!!! And I thought I had strange bedfellows with mice living in my box spring.

From link in OP:

991087-6-20140829020310.jpeg

My sympathies about having the mice, indy ana. We have a second home used on weekends. It is located in the woods and we have always had a "mouse problem" there. We set as many as 10 traps each time we leave. These are wiley mice, and six is the most we've caught in traps.

This year we decided to try the pellets. No good. You find hoards of blue pellets in weird places, like under sofa cushions and in drawers. Plus they die inside the walls and then you have the smell.

Now we are back to the traps again.

:eek:

I see one wasp and I run shrieking like a little girl in the opposite direction! THIS is unbelievable! I doubt they will be having any staying guests for the foreseeable! :/

:eek:

I see one wasp and I run shrieking like a little girl in the opposite direction! THIS is unbelievable! I doubt they will be having any staying guests for the foreseeable! :/
Years ago, a few wasps managed to enter my house from the back door every year. They never made a nest inside, though. I guess I got rid of them before they did. I remember one wasp that kept dive-bombing me.

One summer, I grew Chinese lanterns (a vining plant) on a trellis that arched across my patio, just a few feet from my back door. I noticed yellow jackets and wasps swarming on it. Eventually, wasps went to one side of the trellis and yellow jackets to the other side. Surprisingly, they never entered my house. They seemed content just to cling to the vine. I had to pass underneath the trellis to get into my backyard, but the bees didn't bother me. Sometimes I would forget about them and walk too close to one side of the trellis until I heard buzzing in my ear. We seemed to build a mutual respect for each other. At the end that summer when the bees were gone, I did tear down the vine. I decided it was just a little too close for comfort.

My sympathies about having the mice, indy ana. We have a second home used on weekends. It is located in the woods and we have always had a "mouse problem" there. We set as many as 10 traps each time we leave. These are wiley mice, and six is the most we've caught in traps.

This year we decided to try the pellets. No good. You find hoards of blue pellets in weird places, like under sofa cushions and in drawers. Plus they die inside the walls and then you have the smell.

Now we are back to the traps again.
I thought the pellets were supposed to repel the mice! I hoped I'd solved my problem by getting a new mattress and box spring, but last night I heard the mouse again and felt it's movements -- so, I don't know if it's gotten into my new box spring or if it's crawling on top of my bed.

I've tried a lot of humane measures like catch and release traps, ultrasonic repellents, peppermint oil and some granules to spread around the perimeter of my house. I finally resorted to buying poison. Soon after I set out the poison, instead of hearing the mouse squeak it would whine (which made me feel bad) and then I started noticing a smell -- but the smell only lasted a couple of days; I tried masking it with air fresheners and diffusers. I still have the poison out, but it seems that the mice aren't eating it now, or else once a mouse dies another one moves in.

The exterminator did set out a trap downstairs. I guess I need to set some traps in my bedroom, too. :thinking:

indy,
The pellets we bought are blue colored and they are poison. Then the mice get sick and die. I have actually been sitting reading on the sofa and watched a mouse "stagger" across the living room floor. The poison makes them bleed out internally. It is the drug warfarin, which is used medically as a blood thinner.

The smell you smelled was a mouse that had died somewhere, likely inside a wall. Yes that smell goes away eventually. But, I don't know, to me it kind of lingers for some time. Maybe I am just imagining it.

I just could not stand finding these little blue pellets in the most unusual places. The pellets must be coated with something that appeals to the mice, because they then carry it around to store it as food. Yuck.

As for the old-fashioned mechanical snapping traps, they work. But sometimes a mouse will get a piece of cheese off a trap without getting caught. Sometimes the trap would be sprung, sometimes not. We switched over to using a glob of peanut butter and that works a lot better.

For us, the disadvantage of the traps is that since we do not live there, when we walk in to the closed up house there could be six dead mice in traps. That smell is just awful and it takes some time and effort to air the house out of that smell. We actually installed a power-exhaust through the wall fan in order to be able to fairly quickly clear the air of the smell.

Last but not least: Do not reuse mechanical traps after a mouse has died in it, because mice will avoid it. Just throw the whole thing away. These traps are very inexpensive. Also, place the set trap on the floor in a position so that the killing end of it is tight up against the wall/baseboard. This is because mice like to walk directly alongside a wall, so you will catch more of them this way.

This is a many years long ongoing "war" for us. We really love this place and that is the only reason we put up with this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcerPacer
Back