VA - River Jackson, 2, dies in hot car, Roanoke, 31 Aug 2014

Why why why does this keep happening?!

why would you leave a baby in the car in your driveway????????????????????????

Oh no, what is going on? There has been loads of hot car incidents, you would think people would be more careful!

I don't want to think how long little one was left in the driveway. How very sad.

Fwiw, I don't believe these stories regarding children 'forgotten' in a vehicle. The history with the child and parent(s) will tell all, imo. Not that the true history will be told.

Kids are a lot of work and demanding - that's how they survive, if in fact they do survive.

Oh no! Not anther baby "forgotten" in the car!!! Rest in peace sweet baby!

This seems to be the new way to get rid of children you no longer want. It is obvious these children are not a priority and not cared for. This has to stop. Prison for offenders might get the word out!

I can't understand all of this "forgetful" parenting and "mistakes". Yes, I know some genuine mistakes do happen but I just cannot relate to it. When my son was little, when he slept, I would check on him often. I would joke that he might wear me out when he was awake, the minute he fell asleep I started missing him, waiting for him to wake up again. He was always on my mind, even if he was with his gram (while I attended college classes or worked).

I simply cannot understand the sheer volume of these events happening over and over again.

I had a neighbor who was just a dreadful parent. I practically raised one of her kids. He would come over to play and weeks later STILL be there, having spent weeks sleeping in our home, having clothing provided for him while his mother didn't even bother to call to check on him because she did NOT want him to come home. Her younger son was allowed to roam the streets as a toddler. I once asked her "would you leave your diamond ring out in the street all day and night unattended?" and she replied "Hell no, my ring is worth a lot to me!!". Obviously her children weren't.

JMO and all that with a MOO MOO here and MOO MOO there.

It keeps happening because there are no consequences.

It keeps happening because there are no consequences.

How do you figure? Lots of parents have been prosecuted for leaving kids (and here in California, pets) in cars.

It's reassuring to assume these tragedies are intentional because each of us is sure s/he will never do such a thing.

But the truth is probably more alarming: Americans work more hours per week and more weeks per year than any people in the developed world. Studies show Americans are chronically sleep-deprived, despite our huge consumption of sleep aids. Both parents usually work and, with a 50% divorce rate, we have a lot of single parents who share custody with the other parent.

Any time a task is intermittent, it's easy to lose track of when the task is to be performed and whether it has been done. If you have the kid on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other weekend--and you are distracted by what happened at work that day and what household chores must be done before bedtime, it is quite possible to forget that this is Thursday and your child is in the backseat.

In a nation with tens of millions of small children, an abandoned child every month or so is not really all that often, but I'm sure we agree that even once is too often. I like the idea of removing your shoes whenever your child is in the carseat as a reminder, except that I'm not sure driving with shoes is really safe.

For some people, leaving their cell phone in or under the car seat would solve the problem of reminding them they have the child. There's no way they'd go a half-hour without checking their phone.

How do you figure? Lots of parents have been prosecuted for leaving kids (and here in California, pets) in cars.

It's reassuring to assume these tragedies are intentional because each of us is sure s/he will never do such a thing.

But the truth is probably more alarming: Americans work more hours per week and more weeks per year than any people in the developed world. Studies show Americans are chronically sleep-deprived, despite our huge consumption of sleep aids. Both parents usually work and, with a 50% divorce rate, we have a lot of single parents who share custody with the other parent.

Any time a task is intermittent, it's easy to lose track of when the task is to be performed and whether it has been done. If you have the kid on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other weekend--and you are distracted by what happened at work that day and what household chores must be done before bedtime, it is quite possible to forget that this is Thursday and your child is in the backseat.

In a nation with tens of millions of small children, an abandoned child every month or so is not really all that often, but I'm sure we agree that even once is too often. I like the idea of removing your shoes whenever your child is in the carseat as a reminder, except that I'm not sure driving with shoes is really safe.

For some people, leaving their cell phone in or under the car seat would solve the problem of reminding them they have the child. There's no way they'd go a half-hour without checking their phone.

I wonder how many of us ((me included)) have survived parenthood, multiple responsibilities and have NEVER let a kid in a hot car......

Lately, there have been a number of incidents where parents suffered no consequences (legally speaking)) for leaving their kids to die in a car seat.

Checking online it doesn't look like any charges came about in this child's death and I really don't see why not. Isn't it considered animal abuse if you leave your pet chained to a post in the baking sun with no food or water? This poor child was left with no food and water with temps likely exceeding 100 degrees in that van!

Whether this was a case of some truly horrible and unfortunate accident, I don't know, but what I do know is she's not the first of her siblings to die. Her obituary lists her sister, Skyyla, as having proceeded her in death. http://www.roanoke.com/obituaries/j...cle_57b6b647-a8f1-5a59-9e33-d64175442078.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash
Back