GUILTY PA - Sarah McGinley, 18, killed by 15yo driver, Philadelphia, 17 April 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A 15-year-old girl pleaded guilty Wednesday in juvenile court to a felony charge for running down a woman outside her home while the teenager was getting a driving lesson from her father.

Sarah McGinley, 18, managed to toss her 1-year-old baby to safety before she was struck and killed. The baby was not injured.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/12016065.htm

OK, I have to comment here. This girl is learning to drive with her FATHER! And she accidently hits the gas instead of the brake (doesn't everyone do this at least once while learning to drive?) And LE files charges!
In this same forum, there is an article where a social worker during the performance of his job molests a young girl, and he gets off with less of a sentence than this girl who had an accident! And they have filed charges of homicide by vehicle and involuntary manslaughter against the Dad! No she didn't have her license yet, but she was in a parking lot, not a highway.

MysteryVeiw I could not agree with you more!

I was going to post the same thing.

I do think the father should face some charges. As an adult he should not have let her behind the wheel without a restricted license.
But to blame the 15 year old when the father clearly let her drive is wrong IMO.
I do think the charges should be much less for the father though.
And I agree when social workers can molest kids and not even be listed on the sexual predator list in comparison this is ridiculous.

MaryKate said:
MysteryVeiw I could not agree with you more!

I was going to post the same thing.

I do think the father should face some charges. As an adult he should not have let her behind the wheel without a restricted license.
But to blame the 15 year old when the father clearly let her drive is wrong IMO.
I do think the charges should be much less for the father though.
And I agree when social workers can molest kids and not even be listed on the sexual predator list in comparison this is ridiculous.

I am under the impression thate the father was in the car with her ~ and that is how kids learn to drive. I see nothing wrong with a father letting his 15 year old drive, with him seated beside her, as long as she had her learners permit. I do not think the father should be facing charges either. Kids, when learning to drive, get nervous, and make mistakes. My daughters friend accidentally hit the gas, instead of the break, while parking infront of her parents garage... She went through the garage... Thankfully she was no injured, but the garage ws hurt !!
I do not know how long this girl has been driving, but IMO, she should not be driving in an area with traffic until she is more comfortable with the vehicle itself. .
I wonder if there is more to the story, regarding why the police filed charges. Was she being careless before the accident, etc....

That sad part of the story here, is that a young mother lost her life. While I hate to see this 15 year old face charges, she has to be held accountable. I would like to see her talk to other kids about driving safely and I definetly think restitution should be paid to the victims family.

Is there more to this story?
anyone know??

This is just a sad story.
The baby lost his mother..
and this young girl will have to
live with that for the rest of her life. :(

From February 2006:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/27/driving.lesson.ap/index.html

A father whose driving lesson with his underage daughter ended in a woman's death was sentenced Monday to three years' probation...

Miller, 47, pleaded guilty last month to involuntary manslaughter. He could have gotten a year in prison.

His daughter pleaded guilty in juvenile court in June to causing the accident and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back