GUILTY Australia - Two adults & baby killed in shop explosion, Rozelle, NSW, 4 Sept 2014

zwiebel

Reaction score
Update: Sadly, I'm just seeing an update to the article I linked saying a body has been found in the rubble. :(

'A baby and two adults are thought to be buried beneath the rubble of a shop in Sydney’s inner west which has been destroyed by a large explosion.'

'The blast ripped through the shop and residences at a popular cafe strip on Darling Street at Rozelle in the early hours.'

'Fire and rescue crews say they are hopeful they will find the 31-year-old woman, a 12-month-old baby and a 30-year-old man.'

'Two residents living above the shop jumped from the second storey and another man was rescued after being trapped under rubble.'

Firefighters arriving at the fierce blaze said it looked like a Hollywood movie, with even cars in front of the building on fire as well and the facade of the building coming down. Neighbours are reporting hearing a large explosion followed by several smaller ones, and seeing a car driving away.

'Police are gathering evidence as they work to determine the cause of the explosion.'

"We have a silver sedan - I'd be calling on the public with any information to contact crime stoppers if you have any information about this car"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-04/three-injured-in-inner-sydney-shop-blast/5718138

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 225
First of all, the update said 'Baby found.' I was so pleased, then they quickly changed it to 'body found.'

I don't want to look now because I don't want it to be the baby.

'The mum and baby missing since this morning are Bianka O'Brien and her son, Jude.
The 31-year-old mum, her 12-month-old child and a man recently identified as Chris Noble, 31, remain unaccounted for after the Rozelle store, in the city's inner west, blew up around 4am.'

'Police have now established a crime scene down one side of Darling St close to where Daily Mail Australia spotted officers searching for blood earlier.
NSW Inspector Gary Coffey of Leichhardt police urged any members of the public who saw a silver sedan near the scene this morning to contact police. '

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xplosion-convenience-store.html#ixzz3CL99Mvjy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 216
'One neighbour said Ms O'Brien's brother, James, owns the mobile phone store next door to the blown up convenience store and is the 'nicest guy on the street'.

'This morning's huge blast shattered windows and triggered mass evacuations, with local resident Deborah Jenkins-Sweeney telling the Daily Mail Australia she 'thought it was an earthquake'.
Following the explosion, firefighters rescued a man from the building who became trapped under a commercial refrigerator. His hand was spotted sticking out from underneath the rubble.'

This may be the storeworker who has been seriously injured. There are at least 3 other injured, including a firefighter. The building's so unstable searchers are having severe problems.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xplosion-convenience-store.html#ixzz3CLBf2nbG

IMO it was definitely a crime - a targeted one, I suspect. I'm praying that Bianka and Jude will be found alive, even though it seems very unlikely.

:(

'One neighbour said Ms O'Brien's brother, James, owns the mobile phone store next door to the blown up convenience store and is the 'nicest guy on the street'.

'This morning's huge blast shattered windows and triggered mass evacuations, with local resident Deborah Jenkins-Sweeney telling the Daily Mail Australia she 'thought it was an earthquake'.
Following the explosion, firefighters rescued a man from the building who became trapped under a commercial refrigerator. His hand was spotted sticking out from underneath the rubble.'

This may be the storeworker who has been seriously injured. There are at least 3 other injured, including a firefighter. The building's so unstable searchers are having severe problems.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xplosion-convenience-store.html#ixzz3CLBf2nbG

The seriously injured person is the convenience store owner. He is a Pakistani man who has recently moved from Boston with his wife (according to the TV news). He is in hospital with serious head injuries and has been unable to speak with police yet. I'm hoping he recovers quickly and fully :(

Meanwhile, police are hoping to speak the owner of a Sydney convenience store which exploded, leaving him in intensive care and with three people still unaccounted for.

Adeel Khan and his wife moved recently from Boston to operate the convenience store on Darling St, Rozelle.

He remains in intensive care tonight, with injuries from the blast which blew out windows up to 100m away.

Insp. Johnstone said the man was "fully submerged by debris, underneath a commercial refrigerator". Only his hand could be seen, alerting rescuers to his precarious position.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-street-injuries-reported#ez2L9X1RKt7B1DA7.99

Meanwhile, police are hoping to speak the owner of a Sydney convenience store which exploded, leaving him in intensive care and with three people still unaccounted for.

Adeel Khan and his wife moved recently from Boston to operate the convenience store on Darling St, Rozelle.

He remains in intensive care tonight, with injuries from the blast which blew out windows up to 100m away.

Insp. Johnstone said the man was "fully submerged by debris, underneath a commercial refrigerator". Only his hand could be seen, alerting rescuers to his precarious position.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-street-injuries-reported#ez2L9X1RKt7B1DA7.99

I couldn't find any mention of what happened to Mr Khan's wife, unless she didn't live there. Ms O'brien's husband was not home either.

This is so tragic, who could do such a thing? Fire and rescue can see a body but can't tell the gender. :(

'John O'Brien had left for work at 3am on Thursday, leaving his wife Bianka and one-year-old son Jude asleep in their apartment above a Rozelle convenience store.'

'Mr O'Brien returned home after hearing a large explosion and fire had ripped through his street, fearing the worst......Police now fear it was deliberately lit.'

'Council workers collecting rubbish on Thursday morning have told police they saw a car drive past the two stores and then do a hasty U-turn in the moments before the blast.'

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/father-co...-explosion-20140904-10cnhv.html#ixzz3CMLWNqu7

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 191
I'm just wondering - the blast happened around 4amish, but when I looked up 24hr stores in Rozelle, I didn't see one listed for this street. But reports say an employee/owner was found in the store under a refrigerator? It's a little puzzling what anyone would have been doing in there so early.

Also, police looking for blood in the street....perhaps this blaze could have been set to disguise a homicide?

could he have been doing some work in the store? no idea if it was already open for business but maybe they were some things left to retouch?

lupus est homini *advertiser censored*, non *advertiser censored*, non quom qualis sit novit

It is very likely that Mr Khan was working.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...f-finding-mum-baby-in-rubble-of-rozelle-blast

Firefighters scouring through rubble from a Sydney building explosion say they have not found any sounds coming from the wreckage, as hopes fade of rescuing a young mum and her infant son trapped in the blast.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/body-of-male-found-at-site-of-rozelle-explosion-20140904-10cnze.html

The adult male body was retrieved just before 11pm last night and police have confirmed they are now only searching for a woman and a baby.

http://www.news.com.au/national/roz...dneys-inner-west/story-fncynjr2-1227047116984

Homicide detectives are investigating the suspected arson attack that turned a Rozelle building in Darling St into a pile of rubble.

Police suspect the blaze began in the rear of the *Rozelle Convenience store — which not long ago traded as a 7-Eleven — below the two units, at 4.05am.

The body of an adult male was recovered last night by firefighters who vowed to stay at the scene until every piece of debris was overturned in the search for the two missing.

Bianka O’Brien, 31, and her “cheeky monkey” baby boy Jude are still unaccounted for after a fireball ripped through the unit block. Chris Noble, 30, who lived in one of the units, was the other person reported missing.

Firefighters, who were on the scene within minutes, heard and felt the explosion 1km away, while witnesses saw a fireball start from the back before exploding to the front of the building.

Police said a silver sedan, seen doing a U-turn and speeding from the scene only moments after the explosion, might be linked to the fire. A senior NSW Police spokesman said “it is looking more and more like a deliberate act” and an initial crime scene was broadened yesterday morning after a 25m trail of blood leading away from the building was found.

They are examining CCTV footage outside the store, which traded from 7am to 11pm.

I'm just wondering - the blast happened around 4amish, but when I looked up 24hr stores in Rozelle, I didn't see one listed for this street. But reports say an employee/owner was found in the store under a refrigerator? It's a little puzzling what anyone would have been doing in there so early.

Also, police looking for blood in the street....perhaps this blaze could have been set to disguise a homicide?

If the store opens for morning rush, he could've been working at 4am prepping. I don't know, of course, just guessing.

Ch10 - police presser says it is being treated as a crime scene - and waiting to speak with shop owner why he was there at that time, hours before opening.

So sorry to hear this news. I had a little hope for the baby; sometimes you hear of very little ones surviving collapsed buildings in little pockets of space. :(

Chris's family has thanked searchers for their efforts in finding him. It was so unstable and dangerous, they had to just move one brick at a time. Very tough.

'The explosion site is being treated as a crime scene while the cause was determined. Because the cause was still unclear police couldn’t say they were treating the incident as a triple murder.'

“We are treating the fire as suspicious, however, given the investigation is still in its infancy, I cannot go into detail on our lines of inquiry.”

'The shop owner, Adeel Khan, is still in hospital and hasn’t been spoken to by police.'

Picture is of victim Chris Noble.
http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...re-investigation/story-fncynjr2-1227048414690

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 152
OT - Z we're missing u on J's thread during the trial :)

There has still been no comment or mention of Mr Khan's wife, which seems a little odd. I wonder if it's possible they were separated, or in the middle of a divorce?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back