1455 users online (223 members and 1232 guests)  

Websleuths News

UK - Undertakers told only cremate one obese corpse daily on health & safety grounds

Council tells undertakers they can only cremate one obese corpse each day on health and safety grounds (Daily Mail)

South Lanarkshire Council write to funeral directors with new rules
    It told them only one person over 21 stone can be cremated a day
    Firms say it is discriminating against families of overweight people
    more at link above

(21 stone equals 294 lbs.)

truthfully obese people are a problem/challenge for the environment when it comes to cremation

http://www.azfamily.com/home/Black-s...203695851.html

an 800 lb man caused a plume of smoke that concerned citizens

"We had a very large individual, just under 800 pounds, that was cremated and it did smoke and it smoked for about a half hour and it was bad smoke," Ahearne added.

The Cremationist notified Maricopa County Air Quality Department (MCAQD) who is now investigating''
    Last edited by newone; 09-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Just My Opinion

How on earth does someone even GET to 800 pounds? How does that happen?

I can understand obesity, I can understand 300 pounds, but almost three times that?

Also, the family of the recently deceased obese can always bury their dead instead of cremation... I don't see why people are getting so up in arms about it, cremation is very rarely a thing that either has to happen or has any significance

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    How on earth does someone even GET to 800 pounds? How does that happen?

I can understand obesity, I can understand 300 pounds, but almost three times that?

Also, the family of the recently deceased obese can always bury their dead instead of cremation... I don't see why people are getting so up in arms about it, cremation is very rarely a thing that either has to happen or has any significance
    Weeeellll, I don't remember seeing any caskets sized for an 800 pound person in the sales room of a funeral home. Ever. How many pallbearers would be needed? From a bariatric surgery TV show, specialized ambulances are required for some people so there could be a problem with a hearse?

I agree that cremation is one of a range of options, perhaps the only one this family could afford?

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing View Post
    Weeeellll, I don't remember seeing any caskets sized for an 800 pound person in the sales room of a funeral home. Ever. How many pallbearers would be needed? From a bariatric surgery TV show, specialized ambulances are required for some people so there could be a problem with a hearse?

I agree that cremation is one of a range of options, perhaps the only one this family could afford?

An Indiana company Goliath is catering to the 'growing market' given the demand/need.

http://blogs.funeralwise.com/dying/2...-change-shape/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/obesity...ry?id=12531885
    Just My Opinion