987 users online (171 members and 816 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Fumiko Ogawa Simoneau, 41, found in shallow grave, San Diego County, Jan 2007

http://www.kusi.com/story/26458855/h...ound-in-desert

A 46-year-old former San Diego man was arrested in Hawaii in connection with the death of his wife, whose body was found in the Anza-Borrego Desert seven years ago, police said Friday.

Honolulu police working in conjunction with San Diego police homicide investigators arrested Anthony Edward Simoneau Thursday on suspicion of murder in the death of 41-year-old Fumiko Ogawa Simoneau, San Diego police Lt. Mike Hastings said. He is now awaiting extradition proceedings to San Diego.

Fumiko Simoneau's body was found near the Bow Willow Campground on Jan. 20, 2007, according to Hastings. The county Medical Examiner's Office ruled her death a homicide.
    http://www.10news.com/news/sd-man-wh...sted-in-hawaii

Simoneau’s wife, Fumiko, a Japanese national, disappeared sometime before January 2007 while the two were living in Point Loma. Simoneau, a former dental assistant with the Navy, never reported her missing. According to a San Diego police report in 2011, he told neighbors that she had moved to Hawaii...

The two were married in 1996. In 2002, Simoneau filed for divorce from his wife for “irreconcilable differences.” However, the divorce was delayed after Fumiko received a “considerable inheritance,” according to the police report. Simoneau allegedly went on a shopping spree, buying four Land Rovers, a Hummer, and four boats.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...on-as-possible

"I look forward to having my day in court," Anthony Simoneau told Circuit Court Judge Richard Perkins. The Hawaii man, accused of murdering his wife in 2007 waived extradition Monday, repeatedly telling the court that he wants to return to California to defend himself.

It was a surprise, since his attorney, Lesley Maloian, told Hawaii News Now on Friday that they were probably going to fight extradition...

Fumiko Ogawa's family, still in Japan, suspected Simoneau from the start. They burned incense and prayed at her altar this weekend after finding out about the criminal charge.

Hope that justice is swift......he looks greedy ((MOO))
    Just My Opinion

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...277221072.html

A Honolulu man accused of killing his wife seven years ago and dumping her body in a desert near San Diego County was extradited to San Diego overnight as part of the homicide investigation...

Simoneau was flown from Hawaii into San Diego’s Lindbergh Field Thursday night and booked into San Diego Central Jail just before midnight one count of first-degree murder.

Inmate booking records indicate that he’s scheduled to appear in court Tuesday. If convicted, Simoneau faces 25 years to life in prison.

I wish we could rename this thread to honor the victim....I am looking forward to hearing that there is justice for this victim's family while her elderly mother is still alive
    Just My Opinion

It often takes a while for an arrest, presumably in this case building a case against him, however, this shows there is no statute of limitations on murder and sooner or later there will be justice.

He may proclaim innocence, but he has guilt written all over him, in my opinion.

MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...eath-simoneau/

A man charged with killing his wife, who disappeared from their Point Loma home eight years ago, pleaded guilty Thursday to voluntary manslaughter and admitted the slaying occurred suddenly during an argument...

As a condition of his plea to the lesser charge, the defendant agreed to an 11-year prison term. He is scheduled to be sentenced in El Cajon Superior Court on April 30.

''Mechals said the victim’s family members, who live in Japan, would have preferred to see a harsher sentence for the defendant.

“They believe (Simoneau) deserves more time than 11 years,” Mechals said. “So do we.”

Simoneau’s plea will help to hasten the release of his wife’s remains from the Medical Examiner’s Office to her family. That, prosecutors said, was particularly important to them. He has also waived his right to appeal, said Deputy District Attorney Michelle Ialeggio."

I am so grateful that this has brought some ''closure'' for her elderly mother and the rest of her family. It's disgusting that he's only going to get 11 yrs. Whatever is left of the $$ I hope will be returned to the mother as well.

RIP Fumiko
    Just My Opinion

"41-year old Fumiko Ogawa Simoneau disappeared in 2007, while the couple lived in California. Simoneau would tell people that his wife -- a japanese national -- was visiting family in Japan or working on their Hawaii home. He spent her inheritance and pawned her wedding ring. "

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...-disappearance

he was greedy ........

IF there is a property involved I do hope it will be given to her family.
    Just My Opinion

Does anyone know if Fumiko had a career or job when she lived in the SD area? Just wondering if there was some connection to a hotel/restaurant in La Jolla. I feel there is some connection there.