GUILTY IN - Micahyah Crockett, 11mos, dies, sister in vegetative state, 31 Aug 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
MicahyahCrockett_zpscf73ea7b.jpg

http://wishtv.com/2014/09/02/south-bend-mom-pleads-not-guilty-in-death-smothering-of-kids/

A South Bend woman has pleaded not guilty to killing her 11-month-old son and smothering her daughter so severely that the girl has been in a vegetative state for months.

Police arrested 21-year-old Nyesha Crockett on Monday after her 11-month-old son Micahyah Crockett died, said Tim Corbett, commander of the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit. She faces charges of murder, battery, aggravated battery, and neglect of a dependent.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/indi...s-investigated-mom-accused-of-murder/27844492

It started when Nyesha Crockett called 911 on February 1, saying her 14-month-old daughter wasn’t breathing... According to court documents, Crockett told medical personnel in February Alaiyah had wrapped a scarf around her neck and was not breathing.

They believed her.

Sometime after the incident the state took over custody of Alaiyah. Police said she’s now in a “vegetative state” and only has 20 percent of her brain capacity.

http://www.abc57.com/news/local/Aff...Crocketts-mothers-abusive-past-273560771.html

Police were called to a home in the 100 block of North Sadie Street at 11:16 p.m. August 30th. When emergency crews arrived, they found 11-month-old Micahyah unresponsive. He was rushed to the hospital and died September 1.

The affidavit reveals what Crockett told investigators. In it, she admits to abusing the infant, telling police that she was angry with the boy's father, Micahyah Greer, for going out with his friends. Police say Crockett told them that she sent Greer several threatening text messages. The messages included, "Come get him before I hurt him," "okay think I won't." and "Good luck with everything and I hope you find your son," according to the affidavit. Greer's phone was shut down and he never saw the messages.

When Greer didn't respond, Crockett told investigators she took a shirt and smothered Micahyah, then threw him down on the ground and kicked and hit him, according to the affidavit. When the baby stopped crying, she began playing a game on her phone, reports said. Some time later, Crockett noticed Micahyah wasn't breathing and called 911.

Wow! My heart breaks for both children.

Per OP, Mom has 11cm/o son & 14cm/o dau? Quote says her dau & her son.
I'm confused. Gotta go back & read all 3 links.

ETA
wishtv link, pub Sept2
"Police arrested 21-year-old Nyesha Crockett on Monday after her 11-month-old son Micahyah Crockett died, said Tim Corbett...." refers to her actions Sat night.

"....Ken Cotter, the chief deputy county prosecutor, said during a Monday night news conference that investigators have reviewed injuries that Crockett’s then-14-month-old daughter, Alaiyah Crockett, suffered Feb. 1...." BBM SBM

Surviving dau is now ~19m/o and dead son was 11m/o. Closely spaced.

So two separate events in which mom (using the term loosely) hurt and killed her own children.

RIP Micahyah, and hoping for healing for Alaiyah, and hoping the crim system actually provides justice.

Such an adorable little boy ... My heart just breaks for him. I hope the b*tch gets a life sentence. I say that, because giving her the death penalty will only get her many years of constant attention from lawyers. I just want her to languish with no hope of ever gaining her freedom through a new trial. A true monster.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_899ae1be-36fb-5ee1-9628-e63f90ffc6cb.html

An audio recording captured 20-year-old Nyesha Crockett's frantic exchange with a 911 dispatcher on Aug. 30, 2014, as Crockett's 11-month-old son lay lifeless on a blanket — the second of her children to suffer a grave injury within a seven-month span...

On Tuesday, a jury heard opening statements and the first evidence in Crockett's murder trial, as prosecutors try to prove she battered and strangled her son to death amid a pattern of abuse that was motivated at least in part by anger at the children's father...

Among the four witnesses who testified Tuesday, jurors heard from the first two police officers to respond to the 100 block of Sadie Street, where Micahyah was found unresponsive inside his grandmother's house. Hayah Richardson, the boy's grandmother, and Tyeshaun Johnson, a friend of Micahyah's father, also testified about the angry text messages from Crockett.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/juro...o-in-south-bend-mothers-murder-trial/39024286

"A violent, angry person." That's how Nyesha Crockett described herself during a taped interrogation with police.

On Thursday the jury watched the roughly 5-hour interrogation video where Crockett confesses to harming both her son and daughter...

Multiple times Crockett breaks down, saying "I'm so sorry... I was just so angry." And saying, "My life is ruined... I'm going away for attempted murder."

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_e1e3fb60-21ab-5f92-b897-fd0545121dbb.html

A mother on trial for murder took the witness stand in her own defense Friday, offering the jury her version of the events that left her 11-month-old son dead and her 1-year-old daughter gravely injured in 2014...

Crockett's decision to take the stand came at the end of a day that focused on her disputed confession to police the morning after Micahyah was injured. After hours of denials, Crockett admitted she strangled Micahyah with a T-shirt, but her lawyers have argued the interrogation produced unreliable statements because it was manipulative and designed to get a confession, true or not...

Crockett's testimony is scheduled to resume Monday and the defense may rest, but jury deliberations are likely to continue into Tuesday, St. Joseph Superior Court Judge Jane Woodward Miller said.

When I look at the images of these precious babies, my heart breaks. Just looking at this photo brings me to tears. They're the epitome of "bundles of joy" and undeniably adorable!

1eef130f981b03ebbd4dfce79f819792.jpg

Their time together was cut brutally short, and it's all the more heinous because it was at the hands of the one who gave them life! :'( I feel physical pain when I think about Alaiyah's future - the developmental milestones she will miss, and the suffering she has and will endure(d).

As for Little Micahyah, all that remains now are the memories that were created during the incredibly short time he graced the world with his presence. This picture of him, sleeping so peacefully, is how I'm choosing to remember him:

373a55d09b05a13a3422997cdc0290e3.jpg

The jury returned their verdict in three hours. I am beyond grateful that they were able to see the truth. The monster who did this to them played judge, jury and (in Little M's case) executioner. Little A has already received a life sentence; and for what? There's nothing either one of these innocent babies could have done to deserve such cruel and unusual punishment!

That said, I hope the momentum continues at the sentencing hearing, and this convict receives the maximum allowed under the law. No penalty is too harsh.
ETA:
(Snip)
Sentencing for Crockett is set for Friday, May 13. She could face up to 80 years. Her lawyers say she will appeal.
I hope it's the full EIGHTY years & all of her appears are :denied:
#JM2C

[emoji171] #JusticeForAlaiyah :candle:
[emoji257] #JusticeForMicahyah :rose:

Images via embedded video:
http://m.wsbt.com/news/south-bend-mother-to-testify-in-infant-death-trial/39079854

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back