FL - Newborn's body found in Miami dumpster was 'stolen' from funeral home

zwiebel

Reaction score
A dead, 1-week-old newborn has been discovered inside a box in a dumpster at a Miami gas station.

While police were investigating, they were approached by the son of the owner of a local funeral home, Jarren Hood, who said one of their vans had been broken into and 'hinted' that a deceased baby being transported from hospital, 'may' have been inside.

All very strange. But now it has been established that the body in the dumpster and the deceased baby stolen from the funeral van are one and the same. Poor little thing has to go to the medical examiner's office now, for cause of death to be established because of all this.

The funeral home has issued a statement about a ransom or extortion attempt for money, but police are not happy with Hood's version of events at all. He's under arrest for non-violent resisting arrest, and is being questioned about exactly how the body of the baby went missing from the van he was driving.

'We at the Carey Royal Ram'n Mortuary funeral home express our deepest regret and sympathies to the family of the child that was stolen from our care. We were victimized by unscrupulous individuals who sought financial gain by stealing the contents of one of our vehicles.'

http://www.local10.com/news/possibl...-box-outside-north-miami-gas-station/27894448

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/09/05/infants-body-found-in-north-miami-dumpster/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 159
Wait. The driver for the funeral home, stole a newborns body, and tried to extort money from the grieving family? :eek:

How low can one go?

No, apparently the driver claims he left the body in the van. Which was then stolen from the van by somebody else.

No, apparently the driver claims he left the body in the van. Which was then stolen from the van by somebody else.

My thought is dumping remains saves the funeral home money.

I agree. It seems as simple as that. The baby was on the way to a crematorium. It seems likely the funeral home owner's son thought of a quick way to save a little money.

Who'd use a funeral home called Royal Ram'n funeral home anyway? ???

But he's the son of the owners, and they're saying they were victims of an extortion attempt. Apparently. Though it doesn't seem anyone reported to police that the baby's body had been stolen.

There is something very fishy going on here, I think.

ETA: I thought the baby was on the way from the hospital to the funeral home?

Who in the world would break into a hearse? Just sayin'.

This article says the baby was in a funeral home transport vehicle on the way to a crematorium.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/09/05/infants-body-found-in-north-miami-dumpster/

I wonder how many other sets of remains were headed for the crematorium in that transport vehicle and never made it.

Just thinking exactly the same, as I found that story. This is the post I was writing when I came back and saw yours!

Correction. He was transporting the baby to a crematorium. Yikes. Do the funeral home have to get certificates from the crematorium for the bodies they take there? Or do police need to check that other babies haven't been disposed of via the dumpster route, and parents haven't been given ashes from another body?

'A police spokesperson told CBS4’s Carey Codd that detectives do not feel Hood was completely forthcoming about the box with the dead baby inside and how that box wound up in a dumpster'

'Police say that Hood was possibly transporting the dead baby to a crematorium.'

Do hospitals have contracts with funeral homes, or funeral homes that they recommend?

Just thinking that an awful lot of newborns and stillborns might have passed through its hands, if so.

?? I was sure the Carey Royal Ram'n funeral home had a website I viewed. Now I can't find it.

Maybe I'm imagining I saw it.

This is my thought too. Can't be a ransom case what would they say to the parents: " give me
$500,000.00 or I will wake the baby? No they were probably going to charge the parents for the cost of preparing the dead baby & for funeral services without the body.

There was a funeral home in Georgia that hoarded bodies and never buried them.

There was a funeral home in Georgia that hoarded bodies and never buried them.

How odd that no one in the families bothered to come to a burial. How many people get buried with no one there to witness it?

How odd that no one in the families bothered to come to a burial. How many people get buried with no one there to witness it?

I meant to say cremated.The families were given concrete dust as ashes.It was the Tri state crematorium and son had taken over family business and claimed incenerator was broken.

Funeral homes do not transport in the hearse unless it is for the funeral itself. They use vans as they are cheaper to operate. (Found this out when my grandmother was shipped to NH from FL. The funeral home picked her up in a mini van.) Also disturbing, bodies are shipped in cardboard/wood supported boxes. It weighs less as they are usually shipped on commercial passenger flights as cargo. (I work at an airport)

The only time a body is shipped in a casket, is if it is military and then will be a ceremony when it is unloaded from the aircraft, (I've witnessed this quite a bit, unfortunately), or special request and extra cost from the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back