Rent hike saves 33lb cat 'Little Dude' just in time

zwiebel

Reaction score
A 33lb cat called 'Little Dude' is looking for a new home after his owners were charged pet rent they couldn't afford to pay.

Workers at the Costa Mesa shelter where he was dropped off say that's actually a stroke of good fortune - without the diet Little Dude's been put on, he'd have probably died. He is so obese he can hardly breathe or walk.

Little Dude's on a diet now, but he won't eat the food. He lost three pounds in a week and now has to have a feeding tube, to ensure nutrients get inside him.

He's looking for a loving forever home that can cope with a special needs cat, when he's done with his medical treatment.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/little-633968-dude-cat.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 90
He looks like a beautiful fellow. (I can't say little fellow). It is unkind of his owners to overfeed him so much. We all love our pets, but we know to feed them a normal size meal, overfeeding them is unhealthy. Usually our pets won't overeat. Mine eat as much as they want then walk away from whatever is left.
Maybe they were not feeding the right type of food.
He is in the right place now and he is losing weight, which is good. Hopefully they will get him back to healthy weight and he can go to a good healthy home...:cat:

I bet he has a medical issue to blame for the weight. I had a cat that was 28 lbs. and he had a thyroid condition.He had meds and a special diet and never ate people food.

I bet he has a medical issue to blame for the weight. I had a cat that was 28 lbs. and he had a thyroid condition.He had meds and a special diet and never ate people food.

If you read the comments on the FB page, his weight was not due to any medical condition. The owners just fed him way too much and it killed him. :(
That is animal abuse, IMO.

RIP Little Dude. :rose:

If you read the comments on the FB page, his weight was not due to any medical condition. The owners just fed him way too much and it killed him. :(
That is animal abuse, IMO.

RIP Little Dude. :rose:

My cats always have dry food available but they don't overeat (as they are of normal weight). So there has to be something that made this cat want to eat all the time.
I wonder what the owners were feeding him, though? If they couldn't afford the pet rent, how could they afford all the food?
Poor cat must have been stressed out by being given up to a shelter for him to stop eating.

I have usually kept dry food out for my cats too, and most of them only ate when hungry. But I did have one wonderful kitty that ate all the time, anything it could get. He would push the German Shepherd out of the way and try to eat her food if I wasnt watching. We had to crate him at night or he'd raid the kitchen. lol :cat:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back