1140 users online (229 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    for those with more knowledge than I on skeletal remains:

Is DNA identification possible from simply the skull? seems like I am under the impression they are able to do that with bone but cannot recall which case I followed that make me think that. If true, I would think those results would take much longer to reach tho if no teeth remain with or near skull.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    Yes, since it is the mandible that is hinged it will fall away but the maxillary may still be in place.

But after death the teeth even the maxillary teeth will usually loosen with time from the skull and fall away.

Imo, about the only chance they have of finding teeth after this long is if they go over a large area with a fine sifter.

Although all it takes is one tooth to still be attached. So I hope it is a miracle and at least one of the teeth are still there or in the area.

IMO
    Oh I agree Ocean. Just adding to the conversation. Truth be told, I won't be surprised if the teeth were removed~~ if this turns out to be Holly.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Anxiety is the cousin visiting from out of town that depression felt obligated to bring to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    BBM I agree with both these. Which is why I hope that if the rest or at least more of the remains are not found in that area of skull location and this is determined to be Holly or they are unable to rule her out, they need to search along the driving routes from the Adams property and the location of skull find.
    Exactly. How many times have we read cases where extensive searches were done by LE but then someone else not even connected to the case will stumble upon the remains by happenstance? And the body was there the entire time. It just shows how hard it really is to find victims who have been discarded. It truly is like looking for a needle in a haystack and sometimes they have no clue which haystack to even look in.

If they do ID this skull as belonging to Holly then the DT cant say she is alive as I am sure that is what they were planning to do at trial. That always seems to be the old standby in missing person cases. If this is Holly's skull this will be a huge discovery for LE.

If the skull is identifiable as Holly's that is all LE/DA needs to have to prove she is dead but her family deserves to have all the remains of their daughter back. I have no doubt the new DA and LE now will really start beefing up the searches.

He may know already that he doesn't even need the skull to prove his case but he seems to be a thoughtful man and knows all parents deserve to have their child's remains returned to them.

This find will all give them a fresh start. If this is not Holly then they will do more searches for her now.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

for those with more knowledge than I on skeletal remains:

Is DNA identification possible from simply the skull? seems like I am under the impression they are able to do that with bone but cannot recall which case I followed that make me think that. If true, I would think those results would take much longer to reach tho if no teeth remain with or near skull.
    Yes DNA can be extracted from a skull. If the test is given priority the test results can be very quick. (within the 3 days the sheriff stated)

It would be interesting to know if her wisdom teeth had come in yet. If not that might be one way to positively ID.
    Also if she had any history of past sinus infections/X-rays.
    Even an X-ray from an orthodontist will show some of the upper face/skull, if nothing else it might exclude her fairly quickly.

All posts are MOO
    ~ my opinion only

Quote Originally Posted by Suthrnqt View Post
    Oh I agree Ocean. Just adding to the conversation. Truth be told, I won't be surprised if the teeth were removed~~ if this turns out to be Holly.
    And its always great to see you post, Suthrnqt!

We can all hope for a miracle because miracles do happen. There have been skulls found that did have one or two teeth still there.

Imo, these monsters are capable of anything. They have had so long to move her remains around too and do whatever horrible things they wanted to do to them too before they were finally arrested

IMO.
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is strange that there is no dental with the skull, right? Or is that usual?
    imo it's unusual.
    I've seen skulls from hundreds of years ago and the teeth were intact.

SteveS is offline Attention: All my comments are IMO JMO MOO AFAIK etc
    here is the route I was picturing:

Head west on Adams Ln toward TN-69 N 0.1 mi

Turn right onto TN-69 N 1.1 mi

Take the 2nd left onto Spence Store Loop 0.3 mi

Turn right onto Hohammer Rd 2.9 mi

Turn right onto Yellow Spring Rd 1.5 mi

Turn right onto Bible Hill Rd/Holladay Rd 0.1 mi

Take the 1st left onto County Corner Rd 1.0 mi

County Corner Rd

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Adam...204882!3e0!5i1

6.9 miles a 22 minute drive.

Yep, if that's the site, it's 6.x miles drive (depending on exactly where on County Corner Rd it might be) and 4-5 miles "as the crow flies." Definitely not 10-15 miles from Adams property, and this site would seem relatively close to Adams since they are both in the same general rural area that lies between Holladay and Parsons along the I-40 corridor.

well since I am to be home from work for the next few days and at loose ends somewhat on bed rest I am glad to have something new to chew on. I had intended to watch the probably cause hearing in the Abigail Hernandez case but that was postponed. So as horrible as it sounds I am glad this development will give me something to focus my attention on.

I do hope the teeth remain with the skull as that is I think the easiest way to quickly identify the remains as Holly or not but it gives me great hope to read that DNA could also work and if rushed won't take weeks.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbear View Post
    Yes DNA can be extracted from a skull. If the test is given priority the test results can be very quick. (within the 3 days the sheriff stated)
    Thank you so much goldenbear.

I didn't know they had advanced that far. At one time they couldn't and needed a molar to make identification if they only had the skull.

So the Sheriff has already said they will know who it is in just three days from now?

That is such a relief to know that.

IMO

The TBI strongly stated they are not linking the remains to the Bobo case at this time. They will be conducting DNA tests to confirm who those remain belong to. It will take some time for results.

http://whnt.com/2014/09/07/human-rem...o-search-site/

??? You would think they would "rush" the testing....
    "Something's not right with that girl" - Jose Baez during Opening Statement

My post may only be used on Websleuths. Thanks.

All post are my opinion and speculation only and are not meant as anything else.......so unless I'm quoting MSM, take it for what it's worth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CHERIE.T View Post
    imo it's unusual.
    I've seen skulls from hundreds of years ago and the teeth were intact.
    That is usually a mummified skull or one who had been buried intact even swaddled or found in frozen ground undisturbed all that time.

From what I understand this skull has been out in the environment above ground and imo that is an entirely different situation. We have had some extreme weather conditions in the south these past few years plus this skull being found above ground could very easily also be ravaged by wild animals in the area.

Had all the remains been buried deep in the ground all this time the teeth would be there but that is not the case from what I have read.

imo

Human remains found near former Holly Bobo search site

http://www.local8now.com/home/headli...274272481.html

Human remains found near former Holly Bobo search site

Posted: Sun 5:06 PM, Sep 07, 2014

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is on the scene in Decatur County investigating the discovery of human remains.

Decatur County is the same county where 20 year-old Holly Bobo disappeared in 2011.

NewsChannel 5, the CBS affilitate in Nashville, has confirmed a hunter found a human skull not far the home of Zach Adams.

OK OBE, thx.

SteveS is offline Attention: All my comments are IMO JMO MOO AFAIK etc
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    Isn't the community where the Adam's property is located called Holladay?

I may have it wrong though.
    Yes, but it might be confusing....

There is a small town called Holladay, and the rural area around it for some distance would also be classified as Holladay even though it's a ways from the "town" itself. So on a map you have ..

[This is Benton County]
    * Holladay (town area)

____________ county line
    _____________ I-40 which runs just south of the county line in this area
    Adams Rd * about 1 mi south of I-40

Parsons *
    [This is Decatur County]

FWIW the County Corner Rd is N of I-40 but S of the county line, and about 4.5 mis due W of the Adams place.

One important note is that if this turns out to be Holly, the location would be just off of Bible Hill Rd and could open the door to very different scenarios.

We could have a case of someone grabbing Holly, taking her straight north up Bible Hill right past Gooch Rd (where some of her stuff was found), to just past I-40 and then a left turn on County Corner, and killing her/dumping the body the day she was taken. Per Google, it's less than 14 miles, a 28 min trip, and she could have been dead and dumped before 8:30 am that day.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast