Age at Time of Disappearance: 23
Race: White
Height: 72 inches
Weight: 160 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Hair (Other): Curly.
Eye Color: Brown
Complexion: Medium

Identifying Characteristics: Small scar under left eye, birthmark on outer right ankle bone, previous fracture to left ankle and left hand.

Clothing: Purple tie-dyed T-shirt, white shorts.
Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Jeffrey was last seen at approximately 8:45am hiking in Wailua Valley in the Island of Molokai in Wailua, HI. He was possibly sighted on July 28, 2001 near a homeless shelter in the vicinity of Nimitz Hwy and Sumner St. in Honolulu, HI. If you have any information regarding Jeffrey's disappearance, you may also contact Honolulu Police Department at (808)955-8300.

Investigative Agency: Farmington Public Safety Dept.
Phone: (248) 474-4700
Investigative Case #: 94-1203

There have been unconfirmed sightings in the 48 states, too.

Photos and Additional Info

A message from Jeff's mother to thank all who are aiding in the efforts to locate her son:

"Dear Friends,

My son, Jeff Zoltowski, has been missing for 12 years. We have had more than 30 people believe they have seen Jeff in various locations throughout the United States. We do not know if any of these sitings were truly Jeff, but we pray at least one has been correct. When your son is missing, he is the first thing you think of in the morning, and the last at night. You try to be joyful about simple things in your life, and you pray that the future brings news about your beloved son. You pray that he is safe and not hungry or ill. You hope that you can continue to take one breath at a time because the hole in your heart is so painful.

Our family thanks you for taking your time to look at his picture, place his poster, and to care about my son. If you think you have seen Jeff please call the contact numbers on his Come Home poster. Please remember all of the families who have a missing loved one in your prayers. Your gift of caring gives us hope."

My note: Jeff is on Project Jason's current Come Home campaign, which seeks to find the missing among the homeless. For additional information, and to download Jeff's campaign poster, please see http://www.projectjason.org/comehome.html

Thank you for giving these families the gift of hope.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Website dedicated to finding Jeff:

http://www.jeffzoltowski.net/

I'm wondering if he suffered a head injury while hiking, leading to disorientation and/or amnesia, or if he died while hiking.

Hoppy

That story makes me sick. I hope the park ranger(s) can live with themselves. Not only for leaving him there but for letting the back pack sit there all that time. The ranger that put it in there knew darn good and well what condition that kid was in. Was that poor boy out of the ranger's mind that fast that after a day or two and the back pack still wasn't claimed that it didn't raise red flags then? How heartbreaking.

That story makes me sick. I hope the park ranger(s) can live with themselves. Not only for leaving him there but for letting the back pack sit there all that time. The ranger that put it in there knew darn good and well what condition that kid was in. Was that poor boy out of the ranger's mind that fast that after a day or two and the back pack still wasn't claimed that it didn't raise red flags then? How heartbreaking.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Hoppy (out of twon for a few days and not posting much)

Ditto! How in the world can that guy live with himself, leaving that poor kid there exhausted and not able to hike back out??? This is just so sad. It makes me so dang mad that they didn't at least try and send back some help for him.

I am speechless. This is the first I have heard of this case, which I find odd, because I live in the same metropolitan area.

I loved Kelly's tribute to Karen. So sad she didn't find out the fate of her son before she passed. I pray that the father finds answers soon. I think it is encouraging that some think they may have seen him. Does anyone know when the last sighting was and where?

Ditto! How in the world can that guy live with himself, leaving that poor kid there exhausted and not able to hike back out??? This is just so sad. It makes me so dang mad that they didn't at least try and send back some help for him.

Obviously, in retrospect, it was a terrible mistake. However, you have to consider that rangers probably have to deal with a lot of whiny, complaining tourists from the city who aren't used to hiking and can't tolerate a few blisters and expect to be able to use Park Service helicopters as taxis. Jeff was tired, but he could have camped out for the night if he'd wanted. He was a healthy young man and his exhaustion and foot blisters were hardly life-threatening. I think if I were in the ranger's place I might have done the same thing.

That said, I'm sure the ranger feels pretty guilty about what happened.

So, so sad :crying:

Ron Zoltowski has spent every day this year much the same way he has spent the past dozen years — his heart aching for any new information about his son, Jeff, who was last seen with any certainty on a remote beach along Moloka'i's rugged north shore on March 31, 1993...
"I will never give up. I will go to my grave searching for him," Zoltowski said in a telephone interview from Michigan.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jul/07/il/FP607070319.html

Thanks so much for bumping this thread up!

I read about this case and his parents' desperate search several years ago but over time forgot Jeff's name.

May his father find peace and get answers soon.

*Bumps the thread*

It says that the reason the pilots refused Jeff was because, quote; " They said they couldn't take him because they had camping supplies in the helicopter". http://voice4themissing.blogspot.se/2005/08/no-helicopter-ride-no-son.html
Hopefully, that version is true, as it would at lest be somewhat of an excuse (rather than them simply just not "feeling" for it).
Poor Karen, her great fear of going to her grave without learning what happened, turned out to indeed be her destiny.:(

It says that the reason the pilots refused Jeff was because, quote; " They said they couldn't take him because they had camping supplies in the helicopter". Project Jason-Voice for the Missing: No Helicopter Ride, No Son

Per Charley Project - and the Honolulu Advertiser - the pilot refused because it was not a life-threatening situation, and told him he could charter a plane for $650, which Jeff refused because of the cost:

Jeffrey John Zoltowski – The Charley Project

A father's torment | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Jeffrey John Zoltowski

JZoltowski.jpg JZoltowski3.jpg

Missing since March 31, 1993 from Wailua, Island of Molokai, Hawaii.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: March 19, 1970
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 160 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown curly hair; brown eyes. He is left-handed.
    • Marks, Scars: Small scar under left eye, birthmark on outer right ankle bone, previous fracture to left ankle and left hand.
    • Clothing: Purple tie-dyed T-shirt, white shorts.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: Available
    • Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Zoltowski disappeared on March 31, 1993 while hiking in the Wailua Valley on Molokai in the Hawaiian Islands. He flagged down a Department of Land & Natural Resources helicopter which declined to fly him out. The ranger did however take his backpack back to the DLNR service yard where it sat for 41 days.

It was the last known sighting of the Wayne State University student who volunteered at the Veteran's Hospital and Detroit soup kitchens. As a Livonia Stevenson High School student, he was a popular football player. Police and rangers have looked for him, and the U.S. Marines sent 38 men to the area for nearly a week of searching. The family has talked to the FBI and other police agencies. No sign of Zoltowski has ever been found.

Zoltowski had gone to Hawaii to explore, to possibly find himself and what he wanted to do. He arrived in January 1991 for a four-month hiking vacation. He toured the islands and made friends with some local Hare Krishna members.
He may have been sighted in Kauai, Hawaii after his disappearance, but it has not been confirmed.

In 2002, a Honolulu woman who saw Zoltowski's case featured on a nationwide talk show told police that she has seen him several times panhandling in Iwilei. She said that she is certain Zoltowski is the man who asked her for money near the Kmart on Nimitz Highway. She said that he identified himself as "Sam" or "Samuel". She also said that he appeared to have a severe head injury and scarring on his forehead. His speech was slurred and he limped. Kmart is across the street from the Institute for Human Services homeless shelter. At least one person staying at the shelter said that he may have been seen there, though nobody recognized his picture.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Farmington Public Safety Department (Michigan)
248-474-4700
--
Honolulu Police Department
808-955-8300

Agency Case Number: 94-1203

NCIC Number: M-951413461
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

The Doe Network: Case File 759DMHI

I spoke with his sister today, trying to put together an episode about this case.

What a heartbreaking case. The helicopter pilot should have done more, I think. I doubt people who are not in a position to hike safely out are flagging them down very often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back