GUILTY AL - Ashton Easterling, 23 mos, tortured, beaten to death, Montgomery, 16 April 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
fa82a750-8bf7-47aa-8139-2fa9cb935e1f_zps86b6f0e6.jpg

http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/index.ssf/2014/09/montgomery_toddler_who_died_of.html

A medical examiner ruled Ashton Easterling died April 17 of multiple physical trauma to the head, with the fatal blow likely being to the front part of the head. His caretaker, Natasha Cottrell, was charged with capital murder in connection with the crime on Aug. 7.

Besides bruising on the head and shoulders, Montgomery Police Detective A.D. Gorum testified Easterling had other wounds that were healing. The child's nipples had been twisted or burned off, his heels had been gouged, and he was missing part of an earlobe.

Montgomery County District Judge Jimmy Pool bound Cottrell's case over to a grand jury after a preliminary hearing this afternoon. Bond in the case was denied.

http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/story/25278316/montgomery-child-death-investigation-underway

Ashton's mother, Lucy Smith, says community support and prayers have helped her get out of a deep depression after learning of her son's death...

Smith said Ashton and his twin brother, Ameri, sustained injuries in the home under an adult's care while they were away.

"I just want them to find out what happened to my baby," Smith said.

Second paragraph quoted from your first link: I have no words that I can use here.

That poor child!

I could not find how long the boys were in that woman's care, or how/why she was chosen to be their caretaker while their parents were away.

I don't remember hearing about this previously and I live an hour and a half from Montgomery. So horrible.

The poor poor little darling. Look at his little face

From reading both linked articles, it appears only Easterling had the access to this precious little boy. However, the first linked story mentioned evidence of lob data sing abuse, and that the child had only been under the babysitter's care recently.

(snip)

According to court testimony, Easterling had been in Cottrell's care for about a week when the fatal injuries occurred. It's unclear where the child's mother was at the time.

This struck me as odd. Are they trying to say his other injuries occurred over several weeks, or even months, or over a year? He never add it to his second birthday! :no:

Who has access to this beautiful little boy? Am I reading this right, and there is suspicion on anyone else other than the suspect in custody? Is it warranted based on the mechanism of injuries discovered?

My heart breaks for him. He suffered so terribly. And also, for his precious twin. The link between twins is well documented. For the rest of his life, his twin will grow up with a part of him missing. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him re-tell stories of the pain and anguish of his childhood when he is older.

Easterling destroyed two boys lives, and devastated their family. This was a church daycare. The damage done reverberates, as trust wasn't just broken, it was shattered - For many people.

May her justice be full and swift. After her adjudication process proves her guilt, in a court of law, she should be under the jail......

:moo:

Fly high, Little One. I have no doubt you'll always be close by to your twin. I believe in Guardian Angels, and you certainly earned your wings.

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial begins for woman accused of beating child to death
The trial of a woman who is charged with beating a 23-month-old child to death began Monday, with a prosecutor laying out a "roadmap" for the jury as to what he expected the evidence to show.

Natasha Cottrell was babysitting 23-month-old Ashton Easterling in April 2014 when she called 911, telling the operator that the child was breathing but not responsive, Deputy District Attorney Damon Lewis said during opening statements.

Trial stops as woman pleads guilty to killing toddler - May 30th

Cottrell indicated she wanted to discuss a plea agreement, Keith said.

“The defense and the state spent the next hour or so negotiating a plea agreement that would save (Cottrell) the possibility of being sentenced to life in prison without parole, had she been convicted,” Keith said.

She pleaded guilty to felony murder, a lesser charge than capital murder, on May 24. Her trial began on May 22. According to her plea agreement, Cottrell will face 30 years in prison, though her sentence has not yet been imposed by Circuit Judge Truman Hobbs.

Attempt to withdraw guilty plea in Montgomery boy's 2014 murder denied

A judge has denied a motion filed by Natasha Cottrell to withdraw her guilty plea in the 2014 capital murder of a 23-month-old boy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back