1512 users online (250 members and 1262 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1060
  1. #1
    Blue_Dolphin308's Avatar
    Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Allentown PA
    Posts
    3,397

    MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #20

    The fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager Saturday by a police officer in a St. Louis suburb came after a struggle for the officer’s gun, police officials said Sunday, in an explanation that met with outrage and skepticism in the largely African-American community.The killing of the youth, Michael Brown, 18, ignited protests on Saturday and Sunday in Ferguson, Mo., a working-class suburb of about 20,000 residents. Hundreds of people gathered at the scene of the shooting to question the police and to light candles for Mr. Brown, who was planning to begin college classes on Monday.
    Mr. Brown’s stepfather, Louis Head, held a cardboard sign that said, “Ferguson police just executed my unarmed son.”

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/us...e-for-gun.html


    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...1#post10861113

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post10867195

    Media Thread


    Thread #1

    Thread #2

    Thread #3

    Thread #4

    Thread #5

    Thread #6

    Thread #7

    Thread #8

    Thread #9

    Thread #10

    Thread #11

    Thread #12

    Thread #13

    Thread #14

    Thread #15

    Thread #16

    Thread #17

    Thread #18

    Thread #19
    Last edited by LambChop; 09-17-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

  2. #2


    A couple of things:

    1) We are not going to allow links to blogs in this case without prior approval. And approvals will be tough to get.

    2) Posts directed at other posters rather than the case will earn a TO without explanation. If you have a problem with another member, use the alert feature and scroll on by OR use the ignore feature and keep it to yourself

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    CT/NC
    Posts
    21,160

    Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #20

    Please continue posting here....



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,828

    Comment not necessary

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgladr View Post
    Are you black? I really think the color of one's skin unfortunately still makes a difference in this society. I'm poor and white (a student). My life is still pretty darn cushy compared to blacks living in inner cities and suburbs like Ferguson. Or, in my own country, First Nations people living on reservations.
    This line of thought never gets old, does it? <modsnip> Let's use Dorian Johnson as an example.

    Counting his current child on the way, he will soon have three babies with three different baby mamas. That's two children for sure that have no live-in father figure. Unsure if Dorian had a job or not, but this guy is so concerned about nurturing his future son or daughter that he got over $2000 behind on his rent and according to some, may have finally been evicted. So there's another life beset with future roadblocks to success. Rather than be responsible, Dorian takes a love 'em and leave 'em approach. Rather than getting whatever job(s) are required to pay child support to give his other children a chance to thrive, Dorian smokes weed. The liberal social stance that "it's just sex-lol" or "it's just weed-no biggie" leads to "it's just poverty" and "it's just jail". Once in one of those two places, or both, who often gets the blame? Now, with regard to what we know about Dorian and his choices, which part is the fault of white people?
    Last edited by LambChop; 09-17-2014 at 04:05 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    5,878
    eh, playing the race card sure is getting old IMHO
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

    ++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    eh, playing the race card sure is getting old IMHO
    Agree! Thankful that Lamb is giving us a little latitude on the issue, I think the conversation is way overdue myself. I'll accept any legitimate blame folks want to place on me, but the benchmark for that is much higher than the typical straw man argument we are familiar with.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,495
    Does anyone know the law regarding releasing evidence presented to a grand jury? I am completely unfamiliar with it and so it's just my gut feeling with an admitted lack of knowledge on the topic. But, I don't anticipate the evidence being released if OW is not indicted. McCulloch has said the right things but I think he has also always said it will be up to the Judge to rule on it. Which begs the question...does a Judge even have any discretion in releasing such information? I'll see what I can dig up but was wondering if anyone has already run into this. The only case here that I can think of off the top of my head isn't in Missouri is the JonBenet case but that might be different because they actually did issue a true bill.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,049
    Tweets from council meeting last night said protesters would be in Berkeley today (City Hall iirc). The mayor and city council there are all black. The ~9000 population in the 2000 census was 77 black/now 82%. The pop. is 1000 less now than in 2000 when whites were 21% of the pop, but now 14%. So why go to Berkeley? That's where they tried and failed to block I-70, perhaps with Berkeley PD as part of LE there? Working with Berkeley politicos to turn out large contingent of angry blacks today as cameras roll, since the Justice for MB Train seems to be losing steam?

    Here's the Berkeley police application to show their requirements fwiw: http://www.cityofberkeley.us/documentcenter/view/522

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    5,878
    Quote Originally Posted by DebinGA View Post
    Tweets from council meeting last night said protesters would be in Berkeley today (City Hall iirc). The mayor and city council there are all black. The ~9000 population in the 2000 census was 77 black/now 82%. The pop. is 1000 less now than in 2000 when whites were 21% of the pop, but now 14%. So why go to Berkeley? That's where they tried and failed to block I-70, perhaps with Berkeley PD as part of LE there? Working with Berkeley politicos to turn out large contingent of angry blacks today as cameras roll, since the Justice for MB Train seems to be losing steam?

    Here's the Berkeley police application to show their requirements fwiw: http://www.cityofberkeley.us/documentcenter/view/522
    I assume it's because Berkeley is having a mtg, so why not derail it, too -- isn't it next to Ferguson?

    I remember when my Great Aunt lived in Berkeley in this beautiful brick home 35 yrs ago -- it's not even there any longer & in it's place is a weedy empty lot next to burned out houses. All those beautiful century homes GONE & I am sure some scavenger made bank scrapping all that brick & copper

    It's a cycle that has been turning for almost 50 years IMHO in StL metro -- Lather, Rinse, Repeat a little farther west (or east depending on what side of the Mississippi River one resides)
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

    ++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    Posts
    21,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Frydaddy View Post
    This line of thought never gets old, does it? That video that exploits black children is a prime example of what is wrong, blacks are indoctrinated from the womb to be willing to continue in a cycle of despair while blaming other people for their situation. Let's use Dorian Johnson as an example.

    Counting his current child on the way, he will soon have three babies with three different baby mamas. That's two children for sure that have no live-in father figure. Unsure if Dorian had a job or not, but this guy is so concerned about nurturing his future son or daughter that he got over $2000 behind on his rent and according to some, may have finally been evicted. So there's another life beset with future roadblocks to success. Rather than be responsible, Dorian takes a love 'em and leave 'em approach. Rather than getting whatever job(s) are required to pay child support to give his other children a chance to thrive, Dorian smokes weed. The liberal social stance that "it's just sex-lol" or "it's just weed-no biggie" leads to "it's just poverty" and "it's just jail". Once in one of those two places, or both, who often gets the blame? Now, with regard to what we know about Dorian and his choices, which part is the fault of white people?
    Great post.

    Who has the biggest dropout rate when it comes to completing high school?

    If one drops out how can they ever expect to achieve anything?

    And I don't feel these dropouts do so to work menial jobs. Even menial jobs today require a HS diploma or a GED equivalent. Imo, they dropout because they are lazy and would rather run the streets.

    They cry in Ferguson that there isn't enough AA cops. I wonder how many have even applied. Is it because most young AAs in the town dropout of HS thus making them disqualified and in many police departments at least a 2 year college degree is required. It isn't like the police force there has something against having AA cops. They do have three on their force.

    I really disagree with the excuse if someone is poor and in poverty they cant make something of themselves. Of course they can. The want to and desire has to be there. Anyone can overcome their environment. I really think some would just rather do nothing and continue to cry victim and let the government take care of them than taking care of themselves and their families.

    The blame everyone else is becoming old. When this started a video of an AA gentleman, Johnathan Gentry, was put up and it was awesome to actually here his opinion about Ferguson. He said if black people want change then they must change. It all begins with them.

    No one is preventing anyone from going to school and the key is education. Also learning that if you want things to change it must first begin with you (the collective 'you.')

    Making all of these violent threats shows nothing but ignorance imo. All it does is convince others that these people think violence and intimidation is the answer for everything. Yet they dare to cry that the police are the bad ones here. They are acting just like ****s, imo.

    The list of demands gets longer each day it seems. They say they would rather be arrested by ISIS than stopped by the Ferguson PD. Imo, they need to take a long hard look in the mirror for they are acting just like ISIS and if their terrorist demands are not met they will carry out what they have threatened to do. That is exactly the way ISIS operates.

    IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    I assume it's because Berkeley is having a mtg, so why not derail it, too -- isn't it next to Ferguson?

    I remember when my Great Aunt lived in Berkeley in this beautiful brick home 35 yrs ago -- it's not even there any longer & in it's place is a weedy empty lot next to burned out houses. All those beautiful century homes GONE & I am sure some scavenger made bank scrapping all that brick & copper

    It's a cycle that has been turning for almost 50 years IMHO in StL metro -- Lather, Rinse, Repeat a little farther west (or east depending on what side of the Mississippi River one resides)
    It's a cycle that is being repeated all over America where poverty and crime move in.

    In my opinion

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,939
    I agree. We all agree (I hope, anyway), slavery was wrong. A grave injustice was done to AA's by slavery. Let's move on. Let's just agree that it's time to dust off our grown up pants, and move on. You can be anything you want to be, in today's world, if you are willing to work for it, regardless of the color of your skin. You may need to get a GED, or take out a student loan; join the crowd.

    We have the NAACP. Why? If there was a NAAWP (white people), everyone would be up in arms...."hey, you can't do that! That's discrimination! We have black colleges...why can we have "black" colleges and that's ok, but God forbid anyone would refer to something as a "white" college?

    Discrimination exists, unfortunately. Old people, fat people, skinny people, ugly people, beautiful people....regardless of the color of your skin.

    People are going to continue to play the race card as long as society allows it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,049
    Pretty representative video clip of the "meeting" last night: http://www.kmov.com/video?id=275382111&sec=549362

    I'd like to know the background of those protest leaders lined up together up front facing the crowd and imo leading their practiced responses. It looked completely choreographed to me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,939
    Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    I agree. We all agree (I hope, anyway), slavery was wrong. A grave injustice was done to AA's by slavery. Let's move on. Let's just agree that it's time to dust off our grown up pants, and move on. You can be anything you want to be, in today's world, if you are willing to work for it, regardless of the color of your skin. You may need to get a GED, or take out a student loan; join the crowd.

    We have the NAACP. Why? If there was a NAAWP (white people), everyone would be up in arms...."hey, you can't do that! That's discrimination! We have black colleges...why can we have "black" colleges and that's ok, but God forbid anyone would refer to something as a "white" college?

    Discrimination exists, unfortunately. Old people, fat people, skinny people, ugly people, beautiful people....regardless of the color of your skin.

    People are going to continue to play the race card as long as society allows it.
    Sigh. This post is in reply to Krimekat's post above, #5.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by reedus23 View Post
    Does anyone know the law regarding releasing evidence presented to a grand jury? I am completely unfamiliar with it and so it's just my gut feeling with an admitted lack of knowledge on the topic. But, I don't anticipate the evidence being released if OW is not indicted. McCulloch has said the right things but I think he has also always said it will be up to the Judge to rule on it. Which begs the question...does a Judge even have any discretion in releasing such information? I'll see what I can dig up but was wondering if anyone has already run into this. The only case here that I can think of off the top of my head isn't in Missouri is the JonBenet case but that might be different because they actually did issue a true bill.
    Don't have a legally sound response, but found this article that quotes some higher up in legal circles. Posting it because it has some interesting reasoning about why some info maybe shouldn't come out. My guess is, we will see redacted evidence that protects the privacy of citizen witnesses, which I don't think anyone should have a problem with.

    http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/...pts-recordings

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #18
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 936
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 11:10 PM
  2. MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #17
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1203
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 06:59 PM
  3. MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #16
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1277
    Last Post: 09-09-2014, 11:03 PM
  4. MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #15
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1040
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM
  5. MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #4
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1172
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 10:12 PM