MO-12-year-old accidentally hangs himself on a backyard swing

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://fox2now.com/2014/09/15/12-year-old-accidentally-hangs-himself-on-a-backyard-swing/

He was helping his dad do some chores in the backyard,’ said Maryland Heights Police Chief William Carson. ‘He was planning to go to a school dance that evening and was doing extra chores so he could go to the dance.’

But when his dad went inside to take a phone call, Ethan began spinning on a homemade swing fashioned from a child`s pumpkin seat suspended by ropes hanging from a high tree branch.

Oh my gosh, this is so sad! If that can happen to a 12 year old then imagine for little children. We have a homemade swing but its a rectangle. I will talk to my husband tonight, its in our front yard and neighborhood kids of all ages swing on it...

What is a 'pumpkin seat'?

My guess, something like this. Article says seat hung from tree branch &
was "suspended by ropes":
images

or
images

just a guess.

Sorry, cannot figure out how to link on my phone, but that type of seat would be similar to an infant car seat.... eighties, nineties, there were seats similar to the infant bucket car seats we have now, but were NOT made for cars.... hth, and prayers to this young man's family!!!! I could not imagine:(

Thanks for the info. I can see how he could have gotten strangled while spinning fast, as I imagine any 12 year old would. At some point he must have put his head between two of the four ropes. His body weight would have held the ropes tight, preventing him from getting untangled or lifting himself up. Something to certainly be aware of. Just terrible. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back