Apple will no longer unlock encrypted iPhones or iPads for police

I'm not too happy about this. What if it would help save a life? Many times looking at the call and received calls/texts on a cell phone has helped in a missing person's investigation.

Privacy is one thing. Saving a life or locating a missing person is another.

MOO

Not cool at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely they can come up with a rule for LE to access data. I think Apple is being stubborn and silly on this one.

Phonecall info comes from the carrier doesn't it? Not from Apple. Maybe it can be gotten both places?

Also, Apple has this to say:

http://www.apple.com/privacy/government-information-requests/

"What we’re most commonly asked for and how we respond."

"The most common requests we receive for information come from law enforcement in the form of either a Device Request or an Account Request. Our legal team carefully reviews each request, ensuring it is accompanied by valid legal process. All content requests require a search warrant. If we are legally compelled to divulge any information and it is not counterproductive to the facts of the case, we provide notice to the customer when allowed and deliver the narrowest set of information possible in response. National security-related requests are not considered Device Requests or Account Requests and are reported in a separate category altogether.

On devices running iOS 8, your personal data such as photos, messages (including attachments), email, contacts, call history, iTunes content, notes, and reminders is placed under the protection of your passcode. Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data. So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8."​

Most of the time a search warrant is soon enough. But every now and then it could mean the difference between life and death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back