1016 users online (229 members and 787 guests)  

Websleuths News

Heart of Europe

US tourists try taking 66lbs of Pompeii ruins home with them

Two American tourists have been caught in Italy with a couple of 66lb lumps of ancient masonry in their luggage, stolen from the ruins of Pompeii.

Authorities discovered the ancient artefact as the pair - who haven't been named - were about to fly back to the US. They now face charges of appropriation of state heritage.

To add insult to injury, it looks like they wrapped them in a map of Pompeii too - and maybe even helpfully (for police) marked where they took them from too?

Link to photos and original story (in Italian) here: http://www.ilmattino.it/PRIMOPIANO/C...e/905261.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links

Gee, how classy...
    Just my opinion, of course.

What the heck did they plan to do with them? I don't get it, because honestly they just look like something you could find at any old demolition site.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

land of most amazing sunsets
    Oh I do hope their photos, full names and home towns will be published. Folks back home must be sooooo proud.
    Just My Opinion