GUILTY IA - Tong Shao, 20, Ames, 8 September 2014

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Tong Shao
541c8d9b77251.image.jpg

Ames PD asking for help finding ISU student
An ISU international student has been declared a missing person. Tong Shao, junior in chemical engineering who goes by the first name of Shao, was last seen on Sept. 8 in Iowa City on her way to Minnesota. Tong, originally from China, has not been able to be reached by family or friends for 10 days. Tong's phone is also disconnected. Friends have tried to email and Facebook message her. Tong's friends said she often goes on week-long trips, but they became concerned after they couldn't reach her for more than a week. "They didn't really think much of it at the time," said Cmdr. Geoff Huff of the Ames Police Department said of Tong's friends. "It's really not out of character for her, but now that they still haven't heard from her ten days later they started to get concerned." Ming Wu, freshman in computer engineering and Tong's neighbor at Fountain View Apartments, described Tong as very intelligent and independent, but impulsive."When we would go back to China, we would fly together," Wu said of other international students. "She would fly back alone." Wu mentioned a time when Tong asked to catch a ride up to Minnesota with a group of students from a club at ISU. Wu said all members were shocked that Tong asked to join a group of students on a trip without knowing them. Wu said Tong's roommate sent a message to Tong's friends through the WeChat app on Thursday, the same day the missing persons report was filed.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/ames-pd-asking-for-help-finding-isu-student/28155356#ixzz3DovYpcfy
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_f8f76c42-4035-11e4-b895-bf707b48f522.html

Uh-oh she is very trusting and in a foreign land. That could spell trouble! Hope she is found safe. She looks really young for her age. Another thing that worries me.

I spent many years in Ames and a few in Iowa City around the universities there. Both universities have large foreign student populations in the Engineering Schools (and others), so she really wouldn't have stuck out in either place.

What makes absolutely no sense is the statement in the article above that she was in Iowa City "on her way" to Minnesota. Minneapolis is a 3-4 hour drive due north of Ames on
I-35, while Iowa City is a 2-2.5 hour drive due south of Ames on I-35 to Des Moines, and then east of Des Moines on I-80. Iowa City is basically 150 miles out of the way on a trip between Ames and Minnesota.

My fingers are crossed that she's OK.

http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/search-continues-for-missing-isu-student-20140922

AMES —
Ames police are becoming increasingly concerned about an Iowa State University student who has not been seen or heard from in two weeks, and investigators are using social media and partnering with authorities across the region to find her. Tong Shao, a 20-year-old ISU junior from China, last contacted friends Sept. 8 via text to say she was in Iowa City and headed to Minnesota to visit friends, said Ames police Cmdr. Geoff Huff. But none of Shao’s Minnesota friends said they’ve seen her, and she has not returned to Ames.

http://amestrib.com/news/ames-police-still-looking-missing-isu-student

Friends at ISU said they last heard from Tong Shao, who goes by the name Shao, Sept. 8, when she said she was going to visit a friend in Iowa City

She lost her cell phone a few days before she went missing, so police have not been able to track her location that way

“The friend she was visiting in Iowa City, he left to fly back to China the day after, on Sept. 9,” Huff said.

Much more at link.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/09/23/Metro/39148.html

An Iowa State University student from China, Tong Shao, has gone missing, and international students at the University of Iowa are using social media to try to help find her. The students have been using messaging apps such as QQ messenger, MSN messenger, and WeChat to spread the word.

police Sgt. Scott Gaarde confirmed the Iowa City police are also helping with the case.“We are participating in the investigation at this point, but that’s all I can really say,” he said.

The timing of the friend's departure from the country sure seems ominous, assuming that she was, in fact, in Iowa City on the 8th when she was in communication with her friends. I'm curious how she got from Ames to IA City, and I'm wondering how she communicated with them given that she had lost her cell phone. It could be as simple as using the friend who went back to China's phone. That group seems to rely on social media and messaging than on actual calls. If she had an iPad or laptop, she could be in contact via social media without actually speaking to someone, which would then raise the issue of whether it was actually her communicating.

The linked article from the Ames Trib mentioned that she said she was going to Minnesota by bus, but that they could not find evidence of her buying a bus or plane ticket. If she made it to IA City, it sounds like she is still there as the only other way to leave that area without some kind of ticketing would be through cab (extremely unlikely) or by catching a ride with someone else, which isn't totally out of the question given that she'd done it before.

I'm hoping that it isn't the most simple explanation - that her friend harmed/killed her and left the country. The odds don't seem great, however.

I feel shocked that they located the car in Iowa City. Monday on my way to work I could have sworn I saw her standing on the corner of a street waiting to cross and I told myself I saw someone that resembled her and my mind did the rest. I believe it was on the corner of Woolf Ave and Woolf Ave Ct where the apartments and VA construction is, off Highway 6 in Iowa City. Now I'm not so sure.

c6d4404ac8edd8cd0851fc6c4cf02b8b.jpg

Live tweet feed here:

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...-at-dolphin-lake-point-in-iowa-city/16305617/

Mitchell Schmidt @schmidtmitchell
Residents say they're shocked with the news, add that they believe the car has moved recently

Autopsy will take place tomorrow no additional information until later date, officer says

Body not identified, but death ruled suspicious

Police confirm body in trunk

RIP Shao!

Snipped...
...Police found the car late Friday night at the Dolphin Lake Point Enclave along U.S. Highway 6 in Iowa City.

Going to look at a map...

http://www.dolphinlakepoint.com/

Is this going to be where her friend lived - the one that left the country the next day for a family emergency...???
If I remember correctly he suddenly left for China and LE said they believe the car was recently moved. I haven't seen anything mentioning he returned.

I am curious how they got the information about the car with Kentucky license plates. Maybe she borrowed it to get from Ames to Iowa City? It said she had access to the car LE was looking for. Media stated LE was unable to locate any bus tickets which wouldn't be unusual for Iowa City, its $1 to ride Iowa City and Coarlville buses or if you ride the Cambus for the University it's free. She could have easily gotten around town without a car.

I have the feeling they may know who did it and that's how they found the car? I feel terrible for this poor girls family being in a whole different country. [emoji17]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back