Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score

Charlottesville Police Search for Missing UVA Student

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 9:35 AM CST Updated: Sep 15, 2014 6:53 PM CST
By WRIC Newsroom

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WRIC) -The Charlottesville Police Department announced Monday their investigation into a missing persons incident involving a University of Virginia student.

Hannah Elizabeth Graham is an 18-year-old, white female. She stands at approximately 5'11" tall with a thin build. Hannah has blue eyes, light brown hair and freckles.

She was last seen wearing a black crop top with mesh cut outs. The last contact she had with friends was via text message at 1:20 a.m. on September 13; when her friends and family realized they hadn't had any contact with her since Friday night, they placed a call to the Emergency Communications Center.

[...]

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Charlottesville Police Department at 434-970-3280 or Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.
Hannah Graham search: Police execute warrant at apartment, but find no sign of missing U.Va. student
By ABC News, ABC 7 News, Associated Press
September 19, 2014 - 10:50 am -- Updated: September 19, 2014 - 12:47 pm

Charlottesville police rushed to an apartment in the 100 block of Hessian Hills Way, off Barracks Road, that they believed was the last place that the 18-year-old was seen - however they found no sign of her. There were people in the apartment, but police have not arrested anyone at this time.
Friday afternoon, September 19, press conference with Chief Longo and Charlottesville PD. Chief Longo begins at about 13:00.
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/watch-live-backup-livestreaming/25755784
VA - Hannah Graham, UVA Student, 09.13.14, Media, Maps, Photos, etc **NO DISCUSSION**

Thread #1
Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread#5 Thread #6

Hannah Graham Case: More Than 1,000 to Search for Missing U.Va. Student

The first wave of volunteers spread out around Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday to search for a missing University of Virginia student who disappeared a week earlier. More than 1,600 people gathered Friday night at the John Paul Jones Arena for a briefing on the massive search for 18-year-old Hannah Graham, who vanished a week ago after an off-campus party, said Jeffrey Stern, a state coordinator for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. Crews said the turnout was so large that volunteers would be split into groups with different start times, according to NBC affiliate WVIR. The first shift started at 8 a.m. ET.
EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant who admits he bought her drinks but claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car
By Nick Fagge In Charlottesville, Virginia, For Mailonline
Published: 11:11 EST, 20 September 2014 | Updated: 13:02 EST, 20 September 2014

The ‘person of interest’ in the case of missing UVA student Hannah Graham admits that he bought her drinks but denies he drove off with her in his car, MailOnline can reveal exclusively.

Jesse ‘LJ’ Matthew has confirmed he met the 18-year-old in Charlottesville’s Downtown Mall on the night she went missing and bought her drinks at a local bar.

But Matthew, a nursing assistant at UVA Hospital, told his mother that Hannah did not get into his car and that the pair ‘went their separate ways.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-claims-did-NOT-drive-car.html#ixzz3DszGloD3

Charlottesville Police identifying person of interest in Hannah Graham case
Posted: Sep 20, 2014 1:55 PM CST Updated: Sep 20, 2014 1:56 PM CST
By Geneva Smith

[...]

It's unclear whether investigators have questioned Matthew yet. Police say they are still aware of his location. Call the Charlottesville Police tip line at (434) 295-3851 if you have information about this case.

Dreadlocked man in case of missing student Hannah Graham identified as nursing assistant
By Staff Writer 2 hours 8 minutes ago

Matthew has lived in Charlottesville his whole life, where he works in the operating room of the UVA Hospital, sources told MailOnline. He is a nursing assistant who transports patients to the operating room. -

See more at: http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/...with-her-in-his-car.html#sthash.3JlLQZon.dpuf
Report: ‘Person of Interest’ Admits Buying Missing UVa Student Drink
Updated: Sat 5:00 PM, Sep 20, 2014
By: WCAV Newsroom

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WCAV) -- Charlottesville Police have publicly identified the dreadlocked man they say was seen in surveillance video on the Downtown Mall. Capt. Gary Pleasants confirmed that Jesse Leroy Matthew was seen with Graham last Saturday on the Downtown Mall, and lives at the apartment on Hessian Hills Way that investigators searched Friday.

smiley-whistle_zps510f2ae6.gif

Before you post information about a person be CERTAIN that you are talking about the correct individual.

Time Outs will be issued for posting about anyone other than the named POI.

It makes me kind of sad just how much I've seen Hannah being judged this entire time. Now that I've seen people going through her twitter...there's a lot of sarcasm/joking on social media that can be taken the wrong way.. I don't know. I am 23 and I know that the majority of people I know that went away to college spent their years acting just the same as she has (underage drinking, etc.). I feel bad that if she is found she will come back to judgement from people that don't even know her, and if she is already gone (praying this isn't so) some people will have tarnished her memory by questioning her character. :/

This is my first post here, just something that's been on my mind as I've been reading about her this week.

It makes me kind of sad just how much I've seen Hannah being judged this entire time. Now that I've seen people going through her twitter...there's a lot of sarcasm/joking on social media that can be taken the wrong way.. I don't know. I am 23 and I know that the majority of people I know that went away to college spent their years acting just the same as she has (underage drinking, etc.). I feel bad that if she is found she will come back to judgement from people that don't even know her, and if she is already gone (praying this isn't so) some people will have tarnished her memory by questioning her character. :/

This is my first post here, just something that's been on my mind as I've been reading about her this week.

I am saddened by this as well. Victim blaming gets so old.

Ok.. After reading and reading..

I think it's safe to say a few things.

1) police have evidence of some kind on JM, or else they wouldn't have been in his apartment.
2) Hannah was impaired at least some of the night to an extent
3) lots of news articles are mixing up information

I personally feel like this case has been very straight forward all along, and nowhere near as complicated as some are making it. Yes, some things do not match up yet, but that's mostly because of faulty news reporting.
The police don't just get handed search warrants for no reason. I can see maybe the car being a bit more of a Hunch warrant than the others, but to go into someone's house after finding cause in their vehicle? That's big. That's not a hunch or a tip.
So to me, no matter which way you spin the small details, the big picture is still straight forward.

Has anyone considered that perhaps the police not arresting BM or DM or whatever we're going with is to give him a false sense of security, oh they don't have anything on me, I'm good, and giving him enough rope to hang himself with? Backing off of him while still keeping an eye out for his movements to see if he does something that nails himself....

Similarly, what if they've so clearly identified DM as the POI and clearly labeled WM as not the POI that the WM is actually the POI and they're giving HIM a false sense of security?

I want to thank Bessie the moderator, in part because it's so nice to see Janis smiling at me every time we get a new thread. :peace:

I also want to commend how sharp some of y'all's eyes are. I just watched part of the pub video and gave up because I could barely tell which blobs were people (only because they moved), let alone where HG was. (If there's a video in which she's circled or highlighted, please let me know.)

I hope there's more info soon.

A few things:
The biggest reason they can't arrest anyone yet is because there is no concrete evidence that HG has been harmed. Imo.

Also. I am just as suspicious of WG. However, they would not say JM is a POI if he is not truly a POI. They just can't adminster a search warrant for show.

But...perhaps they haven't ruled out WG, either.

Has anyone considered that perhaps the police not arresting BM or DM or whatever we're going with is to give him a false sense of security, oh they don't have anything on me, I'm good, and giving him enough rope to hang himself with? Backing off of him while still keeping an eye out for his movements to see if he does something that nails himself....

Similarly, what if they've so clearly identified DM as the POI and clearly labeled WM as not the POI that the WM is actually the POI and they're giving HIM a false sense of security?

I think her friends are receiving too much of the blame, assuming they had nothing to do with any part of an abduction or murder.

I'm curious if the "copper" colored car is also used as a taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think her friends are receiving too much of the blame, assuming they had nothing to do with any part of an abduction or murder.

Agree. I think both the assessments of what friends should have done and assessments of what HG did are harmful unless specifically necessary for sleuthing. Know what I mean?

Everything depends on what, if anything, comes from the car and apartment searches. If nothing turns up, LE may have to put JM on the back burner and start over, while also working on the assault cases to find that perp. Right now, if they do not get some good evidence of a crime against Hannah perpetrated by JM, and try to go to court anyway, there are too many factors working against them, i.e faulty descriptions, other crimes in same area. I don't see how JM could be convicted based on being the last person seen with her. Even if there is proof she was in his car, unless it is blood evidence or something showing a crime took place against her. What he may have told his grandma doesn't mean much. I would probably tell my grandma the same thing, true or not. It is not evidence, Imo. Even if his phone places him away from where he may say he was, unless Hannah is found there, that means nothing, legally, Imo. Maybe a charge for lying to police.

Hoping that if he is guilty, they find some forensics and/or Hannah pretty quickly. Right now it appears this guy could be anything from a man who possibly took advantage of a situation to spend some time with a younger woman, all the way to a possible rapist/serial killer who has been living a pretty normal life for years.

Jmo

1) police have evidence of some kind on JM, or else they wouldn't have been in his apartment.

I personally feel like this case has been very straight forward all along, and nowhere near as complicated as some are making it. Yes, some things do not match up yet, but that's mostly because of faulty news reporting.
The police don't just get handed search warrants for no reason. I can see maybe the car being a bit more of a Hunch warrant than the others, but to go into someone's house after finding cause in their vehicle? That's big. That's not a hunch or a tip.
So to me, no matter which way you spin the small details, the big picture is still straight forward.

I agree! The SWs for JM's vehicle and apt. to me are huge. There has to be some type of evidence to get a judge to sign off on a search warrant, imo.

This is a mess. it;s great, though, that so much was caught on security cameras. Why was Hannah running past the gas station? And why was she walking all over town alone, drunk?

I'm a very street wise person. I have never willingly walked around at night alone, intoxicated. (I have had situations which forced me to be alone and WALK home at 2:00 a.m.. I hid and ran and never let any car see me the whole time - actually dove in bushes when I heard a car approach. My dad taught me well). The world can be dangerous. Every single young person needs to know, before they go off to college, that this is risky, dangerous behavior.

I mean, watching the surveillance videos, which Meemaw12 so kindly linked me to, I was astonished how far and how long this very young gal walked around, alone, at night. Where were her friends? I wouldn't let a friend do that!

This is very sad stuff. Seems like an angel of a girl and I'm fairly certain she's gone. I feel sick thinking about what her parents are going through right now, wondering where their child is and what happened to her. It's horrific.

It is not safe for young people to walk around alone at night if they have been drinking or on something or are not streetwise. Everyone out at night should have a buddy to stick to. I hope word gets around to college kids. This is a parent's worst nightmare. Sending a kid off to college who thinks they know it all, hoping they won;t be stupid and then getting the call that something has happened. It's not right. It's not fair. And it's very preventable.

Agree. I think both the assessments of what friends should have done and assessments of what HG did are harmful unless specifically necessary for sleuthing. Know what I mean?

What HG did is extremely relevant. She's the missing person.

Everything depends on what, if anything, comes from the car and apartment searches. If nothing turns up, LE may have to put JM on the back burner and start over, while also working on the assault cases to find that perp. Right now, if they do not get some good evidence of a crime against Hannah perpetrated by JM, and try to go to court anyway, there are too many factors working against them, i.e faulty descriptions, other crimes in same area. I don't see how JM could be convicted based on being the last person seen with her. Even if there is proof she was in his car, unless it is blood evidence or something showing a crime took place against her. What he may have told his grandma doesn't mean much. I would probably tell my grandma the same thing, true or not. It is not evidence, Imo. Even if his phone places him away from where he may say he was, unless Hannah is found there, that means nothing, legally, Imo. Maybe a charge for lying to police.

Hoping that if he is guilty, they find some forensics and/or Hannah pretty quickly. Right now it appears this guy could be anything from a man who possibly took advantage of a situation to spend some time with a younger woman, all the way to a possible rapist/serial killer who has been living a pretty normal life for years.

Jmo

agreed. And it seems that LE "confirmed' his name. I think they pretty much had to after the DM article....

"Police Confirm Identity
"

http://www.nbc29.com/story/26584327...y-of-person-of-interest-in-hannah-graham-case

Jmo, it is not blame...just an incredible frustration with people in general, who either get too distracted with partying or texting or whatever to pay much serious attention to a friend who was asking for help. Maybe it is just the era...friendships may be more casual than what I had in college (decades ago) in a seemingly much safer time, yet we always stuck together at least in pairs. Same with Christina Morris, missing in Texas...no one reported her missing for four days, after she was out partying with friends, not even her live-in. Just blows my mind, that's all.

Jmo

I really agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member